Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Londonists – help please
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Hi

I am coming into the big smoke tomorrow to go to the National Maritime museum but I am a little confused which is the best way to get there? I will be arriving at waterloo is a thames bus the best way as otherwise it seems i have to get onto the DLR to get to cutty sark,

Which way would a london type do it not a yokel like myself

Ta

djglover
    Free Member

get the Thames clipper, its ace We got it from the O2 to London Bridge on Monday and it is a spectacular way to travel / see London

Hobster
    Free Member

Get the overland train from Waterloo east to Greenwich although a boat is well worth it.

xcgb
    Free Member

Ah yes overland i had forgotten that!

Clipper might be a fun way

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, really. Overland is easiest, boat is bestest.

brakes
    Free Member

boat everytime.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Overland is easiest, boat is bestest.

just about sums it up. If i were in a hurry i’d take the train, if i wanted to make a day of it and enjoy I’d take the boat.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As the others have said – boat most interesting and is covered by a travel card. Otherwise overland train Waterloo East to Greenwich (may have to change at London Bridge) – this slightly slower than jubilee line tube but IMO easier.

Visit Cutty Sark too if you like your boats. Park and Obervatory too. Food market under railway arches at Borough (opposite London Bridge Station) is worth a stop.

If I were you I’d take the boat there and train back. If you are not in a rush on way back get off at London Bridge and walk along river past Borough market, Southwark Cathedral, Golden Hind replica, Shakespears Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, Waterloo

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers chaps

Great help as always 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

You can (or used to be able to) buy through tickets on the train to Greenwich too, can be cheaper than going train + underground if you don’t need a travelcard / oyster card for later in the day.

Top tip for London travel by the way, is look at what the next furthest away stations are to where you’re going if the journey looks crazy. In your original post, you thought you’d need DLR, whereas you could do Jubilee and overland, both to Greenwich, which is a tiny walk further.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Overland to Maze Hill better than Gwich for the Maritime Museum BTW, but I agree with the others, boat 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Of course if you are there in the evening you can stroll by the river and enjoy the sunset – any excuse to post link to the greatest song ever 8)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDoDaCYrEY[/video]

vinnyeh

As the others have said – boat most interesting and is covered by a travel card.

I think it’s actually an additional cost. The day pass is good, although not cheap.

djglover
    Free Member

yeah, its 4:30 extra with a travel card or oyster. A small price to pay for

Or

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“get off at London Bridge and walk along river past Borough market, Southwark Cathedral, Golden Hind replica, Shakespears Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, Waterloo “

+1

Good idea, if you have the time

jambalaya
    Free Member

Perhaps I’m out of date re Travel Card for the boat – we used to use it to get back to Waterloo from Canary Wharf – you can buy a beer on the boat too, a nice way to end the day !

xcgb
    Free Member

Ooh beer on a boat whats not to like!

CountZero

The Cutty Sark is really worth looking round, and the view back up the Thames is terrific.

konabunny
    Free Member

Of course if you are there in the evening you can stroll by the river and enjoy the sunset – any excuse to post link to the greatest song ever

You, Sir, have cloth ears.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Londonists – help please’ is closed to new replies.