Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Londoners must be a bit thick
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24888358

London transport is having to install information boards,and hand out leaflets to tell passengers to walk, or arrive 10 minutes earlier for a train,as theyre overcrowded for about 1 hour,in the morning.

and that new lines and signalling is being installed (at huge cost) just so the desk bashers can have a seat,for 2.5 miles.

Didnt they get taught common sence at school.

Olly
    Free Member

sense*

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh I wish I was as clever and non-desk bound as the AWESOME OP.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Epic fail….

brakes
    Free Member

have you ever got the Northern Line on a morning?
    it is hell on (under) earth.

clubber
    Free Member

Not to mention that it’s probably for all the non-londoners who live in London. You know, the ones who come from where the OP is from and so on 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Didnt they get taught common sence at school

best typo of the month

so the tube has closures and the bastards are offering advice on other routes and methods of transport

That is DISGUSTING

aP
    Free Member

Well, for patronising Northerners having a hugely used public transport system that is undergoing massive increases in passenger miles it might be a surprise, as you drive everywhere. I mean, what kind of moron drives places? To then sit in a traffic jam.

chakaping
    Free Member

just so the desk bashers can have a seat

Unless you get on at Morden or High Barnet, getting a seat will still be highly unlikely.

London commuters all deserve medals IMO.

cynic-al
    Free Member

aP
    Free Member

Thinking about it, why are my taxes paying for roads in the north?

CountZero

I’m going to be on the Northern Line up to Chalk Farm tomorrow afternoon, about 5.00pm. Wish me luck!
    Or possibly a bit earlier.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

am SOOOOOO glad i can ride or drive to work then get a sodding tube. hate them even off peak

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m going to be on the Northern Line up to Chalk Farm tomorrow afternoon, about 5.00pm.

You’ll be fine, if you’re going against the flow.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m always a bit surprised that people don’t cycle more as its the quickest and the only reliable way to get around London, but to answer my own question a lot of people I talk to say that they don’t feel safe, which is fair enough!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Thinking about it, why are my taxes paying for roads in the north south?

just as stupid a question

as for

patronising Northerners having a hugely used public transport system that is undergoing massive increases in passenger miles it might be a surprise, as you drive everywhere. I mean, what kind of moron drives places? To then sit in a traffic jam.

well it would be nice to have a public transport system.
    even one that didn’t take 4 hours to go 40 miles

MrSmith
    Free Member

A non story.
    It’s only a pain if you have to get on at clapham south/clapham common/clapham north from 7:45-8:30 as it clears after stockwell then gets busy again at London bridge.
    People who,use the tube know this so it’s a bit odd that they need to be told how to get to work.

Unless you get on at Morden or High Barnet, getting a seat will still be highly unlikely.

You must be using a different line to me then, no problem getting a seat 9 times out of 10 from tooting broadway and while I don’t use the tube everyday I do use it at different times of the morning.

brooess
    Free Member

We can at least spell 🙂

br
    Free Member

I’m always a bit surprised that people don’t cycle more as its the quickest and the only reliable way to get around London, but to answer my own question a lot of people I talk to say that they don’t feel safe, which is fair enough!

And where can you actually park your bike, safely, too.

CountZero

Fine if you live there, I don’t. I live 100 miles away, I’m picking a mate up who lives five miles away,from me, and I’m going to a gig in the evening, and the Museum of London in the afternoon. Bike not really practical. And it’ll be raining. 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

I live 140 miles from London and will be going there tomorrow with my bike. The hassle of trains, luggage and bikes is easily worth it when I get there and can cycle around 🙂

Mugboo

Shirley you meant fick, innit?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I want to visit London one day, to ride a subway an all that jazz !

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the Northern Line

the irony…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mostly they just like complaining about a public transport system that the rest of us would kill for.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Been a commuter for 35 years. The service is overcrowded and for decades has suffered cronic underinvestment. I for one would like to see the £30-40bn which will be spent on the London-Birmingham fiasco being spent on the existing network accross the country. Have commuted also in the US, France and Switzerland the British system is the worst and costs the most. The request by TfL is trying to coverup for the underinvestment

mekon
    Free Member

“The service is overcrowded and for decades has suffered cronic underinvestment”

I was under the impression that the government gives TFL 3 billion of tax payers money every year? Not sure anywhere else in the UK gets that.

john_drummer
    Free Member

not sure anywhere else in the uk would know what to do with that amount 😯

other than squander it on public enquiries… Leeds City Council, I’m talking about you…

Northwind

I love the tube as a visitor, but I’ve noticed a lot of londoners don’t seem to connect the tube to the surface, maybe too used to thinking of the stylised map rather than the real geography? So planning to use the tube for short hops or doing ridiculous connections rather than just walking. Went to a gig at earl’s court, predictably Earl’s Court and West Brompton exploded under the pressure, the locals all just looked bewildered when I said let’s walk up to baron’s court.

So I don’t think it’s about being stupid, just getting very into one train of thought.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

They took away my magic carpet and I now have to take the Northern Line everywhere. It’s inhuman.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have commuted also in the US, France and Switzerland the British system is the worst

The US don’t have a system, and if you think commuters there are better off you’re not half as experienced as you think you are 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@molgrips admittedly it was NY but 3 years there,1 in Manhatten and 2 from NJ via Train and Path to WTC. Much cheaper than uk, train always on time even after heavy snowfalls (never delayed due to “leaves on the line”), parking free with season ticket, subway has express and local lines.

mudshark
    Free Member

I found the subway in NYC pretty good – like having some trains that miss out lots of stops so you can travel fast if you’re using the ones they stop at. Having one price over the entire network is good too as means don’t have to worry about travelling costs when finding a place to rent.

In London I have the choice of commuting into London Bridge, Vauxhall or Waterloo and getting the tube to Kings Cross. Gave up on London Bridge as had to use the Northern Line, Vauxhall works best but the Victoria Line is packed by the time it leaves Victoria.

The biggest shame is that some people get the tube when it really would be quicker to walk as some stations are so close, but that’s mostly ignorance I suppose.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mekon – tfl carries a lot of people to a lot do jobs which means lots and lots of tax for the country. Investment in London Transport has been woefully inadequate for as long as I’ve been commuting (30+ years as I said). It’s not just a London problem by any means, public transport throughout the country isn’t getting the money it needs.

konabunny
    Free Member

mostly they just like complaining about a public transport system that the rest of us would kill for.

Apparently you’d kill for it but wouldn’t move for it! :p

molgrips
    Free Member

@molgrips admittedly it was NY

Yeah, different story in the rest of the country. I’d take our ‘system’ over theirs any day!

konabunny
    Free Member

The rest of the country apart from Chicago. And Philly. And DC. And Seattle. But APART from all of them…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Londoners must be a bit thick’ is closed to new replies.