Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • London weighting…?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Got a job interview next week in **** london, SW which isn’t so bad I guess..

Is london weighting still about? Is it something which is added to salary or will it be inclued in the advertised salary?

and I said I’d never live in the bloody south again…!

ourmaninthenorth

Oh dear. And good luck.

It seems to vary from sector to sector. It’s worst in the professions – I’ve been doing my job for 10 years and still don’t earn what a newly qualified in the City earns.

TheBrick
    Free Member

London weighting s more of a public sector thing, so if you’re a teacher e.t.c you may get it but if not it will just effectively be built into the salary.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LHS
    Free Member

What TheBrick said really. If it is a private sector role then compare it to what you are earning now and add a percentage increase you think will cover the cost of living increase.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve worked in London for 8 years…never had London weighting applied to my salary.

I used to think that you’d get it if you worked for a company who then moved your job to London, rather than if you applied for a job in London.

But I worked in High Wycombe then moved to London, I didn’t get any extra money….bastids.

loddrik
    Free Member

I am a Planning Officer so would be working in the public sector.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

and I said I’d never live in the bloody south again…!

Don’t then. Get a job somewhere else. Simples.

loddrik
    Free Member

🙄

Because there are, like, loads of jobs up here, hence why I have, after 18 months, applied down south again.

Believe me I would rather stay up north, but I’m not really call centre material..

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ring them up. Going to an interview without knowing the actual salary is barking.

vinnyeh

I’m not really call centre material..

Don’t underestimate yourself, you’re quite impressive on here. 😆

Good luck, by the way.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Believe me I would rather stay up north

Please, please do.

The last thing London needs is yet another miserable sod banging on about just how much better it all is back ‘ome…

I’m not really call centre material..

Oh I’m sure even the worst job up there has to be infinitely preferable to living down here and being utterly miserable all the time. Surely? What price happiness?

nedrapier

Some companies do, some don’t.

If my company is anything to go by, the London weighting is a way of paying you what they need to get you, but only paying pension contributions on a percentage of it. Salary is basic + allowance, pension only calculated on basic.

bit of a fiddle more than anything, I’m sure I’d be on less than my basic if I moved out of London. Previous employer (also London) didn’t bother with “London weighting” as a separate item.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘London weighting…?’ is closed to new replies.