• This topic has 30 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • London visiting and that
  • samuri
    Free Member

I want to take my wife to London. She wants to do a Monopoly tour which is fine, I can easily arrange a visit to each of the relevant locations but I’m looking for accommodation recommendations. Normally when I go to London my company pays, I’d like somewhere a bit cheaper.

So somewhere quite nice, bit romantic, reasonably priced. Anywhere near a tube station reasonably close to the centre is fine.

ta

joolsburger
    Free Member

London hotels are pretty expensive as you know. Personally I’d head out a little and travel in maybe Cannizaro House in Wimbledon or the Mitre Hotel on the Thames at Hampton Court 20 mins or 35 mins into Waterloo respectively.

mudshark
    Free Member

Monopoly tour? Sounds like a lot of effort!

peajay

If you can get on the London Eye at dusk it’s brilliant, almost had a capsule to ourselves and the city looked amazing with the lights on

st

We had a family 5 day break last Easter time and went for one of these short term let apartments.

We got a modern 2 bedroom flat off Tooley Street (so very close to City Hall, London Bridge station etc) for the price a regular hotel room (we’d have needed two adjoining rooms for us and the children anyway.

Not exactly romantic but well placed, nice condition and so on.

martinhutch

Which waterworks will you be visiting?

MoreCashThanDash

Not quite the romantic break you are after but when we can ent down with the kids we used the Travel Lodge at Richmond. 5 minutes to the station, 15 minutes into the city. Could walk to Kew as well.

A better hotel in that area might be better value.

Yak

Monopoly tour? Sounds like a lot of effort!

Sounds like staghendoomageddon.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Have stayed at the Crowne Plaza nr Blackfriars Bridge a few times. spot on digs and location. there are probably cheaper places but ime your taking the mrs for a nice break away, she’ll appreciate somewhere comfortable to retire to, and its nice to be able to just wander out your door and be amongst it.

another place ive stayed at which location wise is bang on but more of a budget is the Tune Hotel Liverpool Road.. and another which is kindda in the middle is the Hoxton Hotel, which has a belting bar & restaurant downstairs…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Which waterworks will you be visiting?

I’d recommend Beckenham sewage treatment works – largest in europe, apparently (or was) it’s abit out but worth the extra.

aP
    Free Member

If you stay near to Richmond then you could pick up Mogden on the way in. Richmond has fast links into town, has the river, open space, shouldn’t be too expensive.

theflatboy
    Free Member

A lot of the places on a Monopoly board are definitely not worth a visit!

kilo

Cannizzaro house mentioned above is nowhere near the tube and not, iirc, cheap, it’s quite a posh gaff.

mogrim

Not quite the romantic break you are after but when we can ent down with the kids we used the Travel Lodge at Richmond. 5 minutes to the station, 15 minutes into the city. Could walk to Kew as well.

With the added bonus of seeing where I grew up! And Kew Gardens is great.

Richmond’s a pretty good idea – nice place to stay, upmarket, and easy to get into town. The Travel Lodge may not be exciting, but there are some nice pubs on the Green, and the walk down the river to Kew is a personal favourite.

samuri
    Free Member

Cheers guys, might go for richmond travel lodge then. Many thanks for your help.

Don’t forget, the Monopoly thing is for my wife, god love her, she’s asked for it.

As for the water works, I’ve been ordered not to go anywhere near things like that. I work in the water industry and get a little bit too excited when I visit treatment works, especially waste water sites which are incredibly interesting. Making water potable is fairly dull but turning waste water back into clean water is properly clever, particularly when you understand all the biological processes involved and all the side products.

mudshark
    Free Member

What does she expect to experience on this Monopoly tour?

tomhoward

I assume npower have an office in London?

CountZero

Might be worth checking Airbnb, some goid bargains to be had through it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is well worth a read.

As above, though, why on earth would you want to go to (The) Old Kent Road, Euston Road, or King’s Cross? Fenchurch Street is a pointless waste of space as well.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Premier inn water can be had for cheap.

Richmond 15 min to the city? You’ll be lucky!

mogrim

Richmond 15 min to the city? You’ll be lucky!

20min to Waterloo on the train – not far off…

RoterStern
    Free Member

We had a family 5 day break last Easter time and went for one of these short term let apartments.

We got a modern 2 bedroom flat off Tooley Street (so very close to City Hall, London Bridge station etc) for the price a regular hotel room (we’d have needed two adjoining rooms for us and the children anyway.

Not exactly romantic but well placed, nice condition and so on.

I’ve been looking at doing something like this for a long weekend in London for my family (2 adults 4 kids)as hotels mean two rooms etc. But I am a little unsure about how checking in and out works out. Having lived in London in the murky past I know from bitter experience what absolute shysters landlords and agents can be. I don’t want to get ripped off when it’s time to leave.

samuri
    Free Member

Not that I have to justify what my wife wants but I think it’s a fun and good idea. It won’t just be going to each of the locations but doing some sight seeing at the same time.

London is after all, we’re often told, the most amazing place on earth. Even the Old Kent Road is coated in gold and lined with friendly entertainers who hand out cash to random strangers along it’s entire length.

mudshark
    Free Member

Looking forward to the write-up!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Going all that way and not visiting Kew steam/water museum 😯

samuri
    Free Member

I haven’t said where I’m not going.

mogrim

Going all that way and not visiting Kew steam/water museum

I was going to suggest that, but then when I was over at Christmas I was talking to my brother who’d recently visited, and he said it was disappointing. He’s a bit less of a geek than me, so not entirely sure how trustworthy his opinion is.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Even the Old Kent Road is coated in gold and lined with friendly entertainers who hand out cash to random strangers along it’s entire length.

This is true. Also, it’s traditional to gently cup a MET policeman’s testes and say, “Allo, allo, allo, what’s all this then” in a comedy cockerney voice. They appreciate it.

kimbers

Its been rebadged the london museum of water and steam

its definitely good, but check out whats on, they have some great steamups of the various engines and machines etc sometimes not so much going on, good greasy spoon cafe!
    they used to run a steampunk festival in the summer- Tea Dunking duels!

http://www.waterandsteam.org.uk/events

st

Roger Stern, we spent a good while looking online, the one we found had a contact that appeared against a load of flats and were in fact a letting agent. The arrangement was a detour en route to sign for the key and then the reverse on the way home. All paid above board on the interweb and no worries.

There were lots of “quirky” looking one off places but we went safe and looked for new build type apartments and found what we wanted from there. We’ll be doing it again for sure.

mefty
    Free Member

I meant to post on this yesterday. Richmond is very nice but it is not exactly super convenient for the centre. If it was me I would want to be based much more centrally so I would go back and relax before going out again in the evening. While you could go out in Richmond, you are missing out abit I think and anyway it is quite often full of rugby fans at this time of year.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘London visiting and that’ is closed to new replies.