Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • London transport workers being given £850 bonus…
  • jota180
    Free Member

Is fathers day before or after the Olympics?

Father’s Day is 9 months before Mother’s Day

HTH

MrBlond
    Free Member

Interestingly even a Guardian poll on the subject is currently at 75% ‘no’

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/poll/2012/mar/08/working-london-paid-extra-olympics

loum
    Free Member

Today’s BH-Suck-Pool …

Always makes me think of a long drag on a Benson and Hedges.

Although I’d rather go for the Duchy originals lemon shortbread. mmmmm.
    What ibiscuit’s are iDave diet friendly?

sadmadalan

I find it a bit rich. A ‘bonus’ because it is going to be busier and they can’t take holidays during the Olympics. I don’t get any extra if my job gets busier and if I want to take leave I have to get it approved by my boss. I suspect that many other people are the same.

At some point the train drivers are going to face a backlash from TfL. At some point the TfL are going to have to call their bluff – perhaps the next modernisation will see driver less trains being introduced (as per the DLR).

On the other hand you have to see the value of being in a Union, getting an extra grand for doing your job. Great. This means that most days that may have to work an extra hour – going from their 35 hour week to 40 hours. And the extra 5 hours will be paid overtime. Great.

grum
    Free Member

£850 is hardly a big bonus is it? I used to get more than that every 3 months when I worked in a call centre as long as I hit my piss easy targets.

allthepies
    Free Member

At some point the train drivers are going to face a backlash from TfL. At some point the TfL are going to have to call their bluff – perhaps the next modernisation will see driver less trains being introduced (as per the DLR)

I reckon when the Olympics is all done and dusted then it will all kick off.

Kryton57

Got to empathise with PP.

I got an unexpected work bonus and (in a more complicated manner than I can be bothered to describe) its ultimately funded a new Enigma Ego Ti frame.

So that London cash going direct to a small british business.

However, I still remain to be convinced about how a £45k salary matches a Tube drivers Job Description as I understand it in the overall scheme of things, for my educational purposes at the very least.

MSP

However, I still remain to be convinced about how a £45k salary matches a Tube drivers Job Description as I understand it in the overall scheme of things, for my educational purposes at the very least.

Because we have been told that unions are bad for so long, that we act like silly little sheep and do what we are told be the media, therefore foregoing collective bargaining that would get the majority of us better pay deals.

It’s funny how many people get told by their bosses to keep their pay deals quiet because he/she tells them they are getting something special, when in reality he says the same thing to everyone.

scuzz
    Free Member

I reckon when the Olympics is all done and dusted then it will all kick off get privatised.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

another one of LU’s little jokes to go with the announcement:

“…on all other lines, LU is running a good service.” The irony is brilliant as the the next cattle truck pulls into the already crowded platform.

mcboo
    Free Member

Because we have been told that unions are bad for so long, that we act like silly little sheep and do what we are told be the media, therefore foregoing collective bargaining that would get the majority of us better pay deals.

It’s that Daily Mail argument againt. I wish people would stop with that, used whenever someone on the left knows majority opinion is against them and doesnt have anything to say. I think Bob Crow is a knob and a thug and I worked that out by reading the Observer.

Let them have their £850, the next generation of trains on the Tube will be driverless, it’s happening already…..they brought it on themselves.

hels
    Free Member

Read between the lines people. It’s not a “bonus”. It’s a “pay us and we promise not to strike” payment. As correctly noted, Bob Crow and Unions have TFL in a difficult position, a strike during the London Olympics might get them some more of their demands.

MSP

I think Bob Crow is a knob and a thug and I worked that out by reading the Observer.

Really, what thuggish behaviour did the observer report, was he getting drunk and beating up TFL management? Slapping people around? Smashing up restaurants?

konabunny
    Free Member

Let them have their £850, the next generation of trains on the Tube will be driverless, it’s happening already…..they brought it on themselves.

We You should be paying them extra for accelerating and facilitating the rate of modernisation, in that case.

El-bent
    Free Member

It’s that Daily Mail argument againt. I wish people would stop with that, used whenever someone on the left knows majority opinion is against them and doesnt have anything to say.

Collective bargaining in action. Take note people. Naturally people like mcbooo here will criticise anything that gets in the way of their own self interest.

hels
    Free Member

I say good luck to them. Somebody has to fly the flag.

loum
    Free Member

Seems a fair slice of the pie. If all goes to plan, turnover should be significantly up for that period.

loum
    Free Member

I’d guess a lot would normally take some holiday around that time, particularlly those with kids.
    I don’t expect childcare will be cheap in that London.

It comprises a a £350 flat-rate payment, which a TfL spokesman said “acknowledges the inconvenience of working antisocial hours and locations”, a £20 bonus per shift worked, and a £100 element conditional on customer satisfaction targets being met.

as compared to DLR staff on “them driverless trains”:

The RMT has already struck several deals with rail companies for extra pay during the Olympics, including … a £900 flat-rate bonus for Docklands Light Railway staff plus enhanced overtime, which officials said could be worth up to £2,500.

Lucky there’s not more of them, could cost a fortune 😉

mcboo
    Free Member

Collective bargaining in action. Take note people. Naturally people like mcbooo here will criticise anything that gets in the way of their own self interest.

It’s certainly rational behaviour by the unions, no question of that, and no-one is saying they arent entitled to strike or threaten to strike. But we’re entitled to call it what it is, draw the battle lines and act accordingly.

I actually think the tube is pretty good, considering how old it is and how many people it has to deal with. Try the Paris Metro. Very good friend of mine works for London Underground and is a member of the RMT. He doesnt pretend they dont have the terms they do for any other reason than “Strong unions mate”. He’s earns good money and has just an incredible amount of free time during the working week and paid days off. Its all fair enough, but if you get what you want through Might is Right dont complain about class attacks when the public and their elected representatives get pissy and push back. Fair enough?

konabunny
    Free Member

dont complain about class attacks when the public and their elected representatives get pissy and push back

What do the public and the London Assembly have to do with anything?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘London transport workers being given £850 bonus…’ is closed to new replies.