Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • London to Paris charity ride…ok with an MTB?
  • grtdkad

I’m considering entering one of the organised charity rides to Paris in 2012. I don’t own a road bike so would probably pop a couple of slicks on my Whyte HT.
    Just wondering if any one has done one of these events before and what the experience will be like – will I be surrounded by roadies and completely off the pace or is it survivable?

MrSmith
    Free Member

i know a few people who have done the LtoP. everything is possible but a MTB with slicks would certainly not be my choice especially if i wanted to keep up with those on road bikes, i wouldn’t fancy only having one position (no tops/hoods/drops) either.
    there may be different LtoP’s though? maybe the charity ones are full of nodders on hybrids bimbling along so a mtb will be no handicap?

dawson

The Operations Director at my place of work did it last year, on a flat barred BSO that he bought specially for the event – he built up to it by getting as far 60 mile training rides and didn’t die – he found it hard though – more training would have sorted that…

I bet there will be plenty of MAMIL’s

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Depends on the ride. Each one has a pace. For example, the British Legion rides really don’t hang about……..until they hit the bar!

Aidan
    Free Member

Completely depends on the actual trip you book on. I rode one years ago on a Spesh Rockhopper with slicks and that was fine.

I guided a couple last year and will be doing more this year (start on Wednesday!). From the guiding perspective, some trips have been 100+ miles per day where everyone used real road bikes and some have been much lower mileage with a mix of bikes and abilities.

You can certainly ride from London to Paris on a MTB with slicks. Just call the organisation before you book and make sure it’s not going to be a roadie speed-fest.

Hope that helps!

grtdkad

Cheers all. That helps …

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘London to Paris charity ride…ok with an MTB?’ is closed to new replies.