Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • London To Brighton Ride next weekend
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Hi, anyone here doing it, is it any good, any stories to tell from past experience ?
    Good place for Beer on the seafront ?

hazeii
    Free Member

No.1: Enjoy

No.2: Be careful, lots of inexperienced riders!

llama

sunblock – the year I did it the tarmac was melting

Although it is almost down hill all the way, forget about riding up the few hills that there are – too crowded – until you get to the big one of course. So you want to either (1) go slow and drink yourself there or (2) leave at stupid o’clock

phinbob

Scariest thing I’ve ever done on a bike.

27 000 riders, about 26 500 seem to have not been on a bike since last time they did London to Brighton.

Just be careful, *lots* of unexpected manoeuvres – it’s great that they are doing the ride mind and I’m not putting them down.

redbikes
    Free Member

It’s the largest ‘group ride’ you can do.
    IMO it’s way over subscribed.
    Big hassle getting back.
    Done it twice and never again.

hazeii
    Free Member

PS South East trains have a policy of banning bikes from trains on the day of the ride.

A South East rail spokesman said earlier “As I’ve told thousands of riders already, we make a special point of banning bikes on this particular day simply because there is no demand and because we are concerned for the safety of our passengers”.

mcboo
    Free Member

First time on a long road ride, in at the deep end doing this there and back with Sidman.

120 mile round trip to my house. Will I start crying before I cross the M25 going north or will I stay strong all the way into London? Could be emotional.

timnwild

It can be frustrating because of the inexperience – last year unforced stops so medical crews could mop folks up made a 4 and a bit hr ride time into nearly 8 hours between start and finish. Find somewhere to stay the night is my advice too, and go back the next day – the logistics of getting the bike/you back to London are horrendous.

That said, it’s pretty good fun. Just takes a bit of patience and planning.

enfht
    Free Member

I was supposed to be doing this with the Mrs.

She now can’t make it which leaves me wondering….how the heck will I be able to take a piss without someone nicking my bike???? 😥

njee20
    Free Member

Stand at the side of the road and do it?

IMO it’s a good laugh if you enter the spirit of it, I really can’t understand people leaving at 5 am and doing it in 3 hours, why not just go on a normal 60 mile road ride, none of the congestion.

If you leave at a sensible hour you will walk up anything even resembling a hill!

enfht
    Free Member

Stand at the side of the road and do it?

Realistically I think that’s the only option…but what if 60,000 people laugh at my tiny weener ?! 😥 😥

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m doing it in support of my cousin, who’s a little ‘weighty’. I don’t have a number, as I tried to register too late.

Can I be stopped from riding with him? Presumably because they are public highways I’ve the right to pootle along with him?

enfht – I’ll use your missus’ number if she can’t do it. I’ll even wear a wig and dress!!

I’m doing it on my singlespeed too…

mcboo
    Free Member

We’re heading off at 0630 to beat the congestion, seems theres a big group of semi serious riders head off then for a good spin down before it turns into the retreat from Moscow.

Weather looks good, am quite looking fwd to it. Am told we dont need numbers, I dont have one……

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Doing it with some chums – its gunna rock !
    Watch out for Team Dirtmonkey – led by grounded this year,Done it before and agree with some views here but it is a quality day out, weather looks top notch and Ditchling Beacon is always fun (only cause there is no where to ride cause too many people fooking pushing bikes)
    🙄

Bindiver
    Free Member

Come on Team Dirtmonkeys!!!

Gonna be another brilliant year of riding! Lets try and get back under 4 hours this time!!!

and Yeah look out for those people who decided to stop in front of you!!

BD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘London To Brighton Ride next weekend’ is closed to new replies.