Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • London to Brighton off road, What bike?
  • sellisnba
    Free Member

Hi all
    I’m thinking of taking part in the BHF London to Brighton off road ride, I was just wondering if anyone on here has done the said route. I’m looking for advice on bike choice.
    I’ve heard the route is fairly flat along a lot of old railway lines and canal paths.
    I’m currently riding a spesh camber and wondered if It may be easier on a lightweight hardtail. Any opinion and advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

john_l
    Free Member

‘cross bike

avdave2

If it takes in mostly the Downs Link I’d say as light a rigid a bike as you can get hold of, maybe a cyclocross bike.

enfht
    Free Member

The downs link is probably most efficient on a cross but given the few fun downhill sections Id definitely say hardtail. No point doing it on a full suss.

Painey
    Free Member

29er hardtail with fast rolling tyres on it. Shall be doing it myself this year and will definitely be leaving the 150mm trail bike at home! May even buy a new bike especially for it, any excuse to add to the collection.

Doh1Nut

Did a similar route last year (with a few interesting diversions round Peaslake) but agree that full suspension is overkill.

But there are some open chalky doubletrack descents that we did which I think are on the BHF route. They are fun and tempt you to go fast but did result in a broken spoke and cracked rim on a hybrid hardtail bike.

You might consider getting some 1.5″ fast rolling tyres on the camber

N

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Done it on a Hardtail and a Full Suss.

Full Suss made some of the off piste playing a bit more fun
    Hardatil made easier work of the downs link.

Either way, it’s not a difficult ride

eskimonumber1

Someone did it on a shopper when I did it a few years ago!

spooky_b329

I did it on a hardtail, wished I’d taken my cross bike quite early on!

rewski
    Free Member

HT with small block 8s pumped up real hard

yetitony
    Free Member

Did it a couple of years ago on my Yeti 575. Would agree that apart from a couple of sections a hardtail would be the best bet.
    Doing on the Yeti was fine though. Fitted some Race Kings and had no issues.
    It is mainly flat with three big climbs
    Enjoy, its a fun day out.

spacemonkey

FS if you want to off piste (depends how well you know the route/area though). Just lock forks and shock when on the flats or climbs.

HST, any HT will be sufficient anyway.

mccraque

I’d do it on a Scott Gambler, with full 180mm travel and Maxxis Super tacky DH tyres.

Although last year I did it on my Boardman HT with some fast rolling tyres.

AND I saw a lady on a shopper with a bag balanced on the bar! She was still going strong at Southwater!

rewski
    Free Member

London to Eastbourne would be much more fun, the decent riding starts near the end when you get to the SDW at Shoreham-by-Sea, the Downslink is a pretty dull off-road ride.

EDIT: but it is for charity, so well worth it 😉

pplum
    Free Member

I rode it last year on a BMC Speedfox SF01 with Bontrager XR1 tyres. Full suss but fairly light, so no bother. Out of necessity I’ll be on a different bike this year, probably a Boardman CX.

DrP

I did it on a Meta 5….
    Would have been perfect to do on a short travel geared 29er…
    Is very doable on the bike you have right now……

DrP

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

pplum – that’s shocking (the bike being nicked).

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve ridden it but not as part of the event and as others have said a cross bike is ideal, if you dont have one a geared hard tail.

enfht
    Free Member

pplum I remember reading your post at the time and it still amazes me how blatent these **** can be.

Did you notify the BHF because you can bet the same scum will be back this year for more.

To a bike thief, so many bikes in one place must be like a one-eyed cat in a fish shop!

Almost worth setting up a sting.. 😈

PJM1974
    Free Member

I did it on an old Specialized Enduro and wished I’d done it on a hardtail.

trevron73
    Free Member

Just entered this morning, 3 of us me on my Cannontrev ,my boss on a 12 year old “y” frame trek and another boss on a raleigh hardtail .im starting the training now and im hoping its got less hill than the SDW

njee20
    Free Member

Apart from the bit on the SDW it’s incomparable. Pan flat.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve entered should be a good day out, bit daunted by 75m as we normally only ride around 25 at a time but will cross that bridge when I get to it!

brakes
    Free Member

I’m doing it this year.
    Probably be on a Cotic Soul, with skinny tyres judging by some of the comments here.

mattjg
    Free Member

Your HT, with forks on maximum damping/lockout. Quick tyres if you care about being quick.

But as everyone says, any functioning bike will do the job. The Downslink is a motorway.

one_bad_mofo

I once rode off-road from Croydon to Brighton on a rigid, single speed, steel Kona with drop bars and V-brake, but then I’m just strange, and I was fit back in those days… Like about 12 years ago!

makkag
    Free Member

75 miles will be a breeze pal I did it last year after an absolute skinful. Take talc though as you will chafe . Did it on my 5 spot fully locked out last year would take hybrid if ever did it again, which I won’t !!!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘London to Brighton off road, What bike?’ is closed to new replies.