Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • London to Brighton in 2 hours 10- how fit??
  • 5lab

Did the l2b yesterday with my gf and some of her family (taking it easy then – i was on my bmx)

whilst faffing around at the finish, some guy went up to one of the lasses and was claiming he’d done the ride in 2 hours 10 mins. It was clearly bs (he was pretty tubby) but I was wondering, how difficult would that be to achieve? the route is 55 miles and fairly hilly (nothing alpine, but its not norfolk), so you’d have to pull an average of 25mph. Would that be in reach of the very keen amature cyclist? low level pro? lance himself?

I don’t ride on the road that much so I don’t know what counts as fast 🙂

H

gothandy

I was there too, I’d say unless he was the first person off the line it would be impossible purely because of the volume of bikes. It was a great social event but must have been very frustrating to try and race it!

I did enjoy the last hill in a kind of brutal way, but felt jealous of the muddy mountain biker who passed me a the top just doing a local loop.

An average of 25 mph sounds doable on a road bike, certainly in a group, not sure about a solo effort.

beej

Average speed of the whole TDF is about 25mph – and there are a lot of hills in that. However, they’re also riding in a group.

Fabian Cancelara averaged 26mph for his Paris-Roubaix win, that was a bit futher and harder than L2B though.

L2B solo in 2:10, I’d guess at Cat1/Cat2 levels of fitness?

tonyg2003

You could do L2B in two hours especially in a bunch. Ditchling is the only big climb. I usually ride up to Carshlaton meet some friends, ride the route to Brighton and ride home – and I’m back for lunchtime. That’s not being particularly fit or thin either…..I was in a muddy field in Herefordshire instead….

TheBrick
    Free Member

That is maximum bull shit.

RealMan
    Free Member

Going under the hour on a 25 mile TT on a flat course is a notable achievement. Doing two of those then doing a 10 minute 5 with some hills chucked in, plus traffic and other riders, you’d have to be very very fit.

philconsequence
    Free Member

weren’t they stopping people at the red lights throughout london and for that last big hill stopping everyone and sending them up in smaller groups?

bunnerscj
    Free Member

This is bull shit !

I did it this year in just over 3hrs (3.17 I think). Averaged around 16mph.
    London is indeed controlled by police and PSCOS on traffic lights here and there so its not a straight blatt from London to Brighton. Its start and even in Brighton its the same (bottom of coledean lane, Pier roundabout etc)
    With the beacon taking around 6 mins at 6mph dropping ANY average speed, I cannot see that 2hrs with an ave of 25+mph is remotely possible.

Sorry but its a load of old shit ! 😆

5lab

for those interested, I found the height profile

so I think what’s being said is it would be possible, if you were bunched, and had a full green light??

we took hours cos spent a lot of time waiting for others in the group\drinking cheeky pints (which I was time with). rolled into brighton about 6.30, which made a lot of the latter end of the ride a lot nicer – the climb up the beacon was relatively quiet and much less hassle than when I’ve done it in the past. Rode up 75% of it with my OH, then sprinted the last 300 yards flat out. going up it at 15mph on a bmx gets some funny looks 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

so I think what’s being said is it would be possible, if you were bunched, and had a full green light??

and were pro / cat 1.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘London to Brighton in 2 hours 10- how fit??’ is closed to new replies.