• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • London to Brighton Bike Ride
  • andy531pro
    Free Member

I’ve just entered the London to Brighton bike ride in support of new cycling charity Bike 4 Cancer – more info on them here Bike 4 Cancer

This event takes place on 8 September 2013 and is limited to 5000 riders by all accounts. I took part in the BHF ride a few years ago but didn’t really enjoy it – far too many riders – people stopping suddenly without thinking that someone might be cycling on their wheel behind etc.

Has anyone got experience of this Bike 4 Cancer event? The £35 entry fee also includes a buffet lunch apparently. Does anyone know where the lunch stop is and whether the food is any good?

Thanks very much!

pickle
    Free Member

I did the september ride which was organised by ‘do it for charity’ i think?

Me and a few guys did it on old school BMXs and it was great! a real good vibe and the buffet lunch was amazing!! loads of food and a huge choice of cakes 🙂

the beacon hill was a bit of a pain though on a 30 year old fixed gear BMX lol!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

people stopping suddenly without thinking that someone might be cycling on their wheel behind failing to think ahead and leave sufficient distance between themselves and the rider in front in case they stop suddenly

FTFY

boriselbrus
    Free Member

people stopping suddenly without thinking that someone might be cycling on their wheel behind failing to think ahead and leave sufficient distance between themselves and the rider in front in case they stop suddenly
    FTFY

Not really. When I did it if you left a gap in front of you then someone would immediately just ride into it. Think M25 at rush hour. You leave a 2 second gap in front and 3 cars go in the gap. My best moment was when a guy was riding alongside me, then accelerated, pulled in front of me, then saw a friend at the side of the road and hits the brakes. Apparently I was just supposed to vaporise or something.

I would never do it again.

brakes
    Free Member

why not do the offroad one on the 21st September?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m doing the BHF one on the 21st it looks like a fair old ride, 75 miles so a walk in the park for some but quite a challenge for me!

Now, what tyres for that I wonder?

brakes
    Free Member

fast ones. some people reckon a CX bike.
    I’ll be on a Stumpy FSR with hard tyres.

andymc06
    Free Member

I’m doing the off road on racing ralphs. Not sure whether to put them on my hardtail which is bordering on too small or put them tubeless on the new Nomad and ride it locked out! 🙂

Painey
    Free Member

I’m doing the off road one too. Quite often do the latter part of the route anyway as it’s near to where I live.

I shall be riding it on a 29er hardtail. If I have to use my full suss instead I’ll swap the tyres over, you need fast rolling ones as the downslink path is a gravel motorway really.

The climb at the end of it is a challenge.

enfht
    Free Member

The climb at the end of it is a challenge

Except that 99% seemed to walk it last year.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Doing this early September as an unofficial work charity ride from nikon house in Kingstonto bBrighton. I’ll be on a cross bike.

DrP

Planning on something similar to Brighton-London on road, then return via the London-Brighton off road route…

Looks like a full day in the saddle!

DrP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘London to Brighton Bike Ride’ is closed to new replies.