Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • London Self-build project
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So I know these are popular here. This is our London Self-build project

We’ve both been working full time on it since July last year and doing as much of the work ourselves as we can. – Currently boarding out and first fix so still some way to go. In by Christmas 🙂

Flickr Photo diary

aP
    Free Member

Nice! I hadn’t realised that there were going to be more the other side?

senorj

That looks like it’ll be awesome.fair play.
    Which part of London ?
    I bet there was a little bit of tension during the first crane road closure .:-)

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Which part of London ?

Funky Town!
    I bet that glass house next door caused a few anxious moments?

Stoner
    Free Member

simon that’s ace.

If Im not mistaken, your neighbour’s build was on Grand Designs was it not?

Are they dropping in on yours too? 🙂

nice specifying, by the way. The ductwork, drywall, door locks, surface finish etc…. all really nice alternatives to the usual UK vernacular, keep it up on the internals!

ctk
    Free Member

If Im not mistaken, your neighbour’s build was on Grand Designs was it not?

With the chipboard interior I think?

chewkw
    Free Member

Nice! I like! How much? Land and house? How many squids? Energy efficient? I like square house … 😀

When is the house warming party with trance music whatever they are called nowadays?

Those “old houses” beside you just look rather depressing by comparison …

edit: you have very private rooftop so does that mean you and Mrs are going sunbath nakid? 😆

drlex
    Free Member

Awesome! Great pictures – thanks for posting.
    Think I recognised a roll of brown Newlath for basement application. Is the building covered in brick slips? If so, are they glued to the lipped exterior panels?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We’re in Brixton.

A few very scary moments when the steel was being craned in. Horror on everyones faces on the realisation that over a ton of crane block was resting gently against those expensive glass planks. Luckily no wind that day.

We managed without any road closures – a lot of cones and tape and me in a hardhat and hi-viz vest. Even avoided parking suspensions after the first couple of days when the neighbours realised they didn’t want their cars anywhere near the crane and without a suspension they had a chance to move them before getting ticketed at 830am.

Neighbour was indeed on Grand Designs and was our architect but the only TV show you’re likely to see us on is Crimewatch after one site disagreement too many (boom tisch). 24/7 in a stressful environment does test a relationship.

House is insulated to near passive levels with triple glazing and heat recovery ventilation. Air tightness test came back at 1.7 at our pre-boarding out stage so should improve further.

Outer cladding is brick slips cut from white concrete bricks to maximise interior space except the wall alongside the Edwardian house next door where the party wall surveyor insisted on solid brick. The slips are stuck to the lipped metal panels with magic swiss glue.

Intent is for Katie’s basement workshop to have a mirrorball and laser for the odd old-school trance night. Might have to turn off the power to the lathe though. Could be too tempting

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

its all very nice but there is one major floor to your project…
    …its in South London and that will never do !

Says me sitting in North London !

😆

revs1972
    Free Member

Great looking house. Who did your steel ? I don’t think I’d be too happy seeing my boys “walking the steel” on a public thread

spooky_b329

I want to know where that tunnel goes!

fionap

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Would love to see some floor plans. The brick cladding looks great – are the slips by Edenhall or somebody else?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘London Self-build project’ is closed to new replies.