Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • London – Russell Square: any suggestions for what's on nearby?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Down in London for work at the moment, staying near Russell Square. Any suggestions / recommendations for something to do nearby? Got a couple of hours spare late afternoon / early evening tonight, but don’t want to travel any further. Thinking of exhibitions / places to see etc, rather than wining and dining.

Any ideas?

simon_g

You’ve got the British Museum just down the road, open till 5.30.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Raphas cafe on Brewer St.
    Look Mum No Hands on Old Street (but that’s too far from where you are)
    Tate Modern/Britain.
    St Paul’s.
    Soho and the Old No1 Italian.

All just either a tube ride or a wander away.

ratcatcher

At the Leicester Square theatre. Siro a, show only an hour long odd but I was glad I went.

slugwash
    Free Member

Walk down towards Holborn, Fleet St and over Blackfriars Bridge then along the river and over Waterloo Bridge and back to Bloomsbury via Covent Garden taking in all the vistas and wonderful architecture as you go 🙂

(unless it’s pissing down)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You’re right next to the British Museum as someone said.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Go check out all the fashion students fixies locked up outside my old art college central st martins 😀

mrmoofo

Most of central London TBH!
    What do you want to do / what blows your frock up?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

what blows your frock up

– class 🙂

your pretty close to the centre there and covent garden/soho etc are all within walking distance and a cab will get you a bit further if theres a specific place you want to go see. Enjoy.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

“What blows my frock up”? 🙂 🙂

Leaving aside many possible replies to that, in this context top of the list would be a photography exhibition.

MrNutt
    Free Member

play “count the cctv cameras”, you get extra points if you can photograph them and not have a cavity search. Alternatively if you have a penchant for uniforms & scatology why not try photographing some of the millions of cctv cameras around there?

beagle
    Free Member

Wildlife photographer of the year exhibition. National History Museum. Well worth the short journey.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Wallace Collection is always worth a look.

thx1138
    Free Member

If photography s your thing, then apart from the aforementioned WPotY, there’s an Ansel Adams exhibition on at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, although that might be a bit far if you don’t want to travel.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/visit/events/ansel-adams

The National Portrait gallery currently has the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize exhibition:

http://www.npg.org.uk/photoprize1/site12/index.php

And there’s also a Man Ray exhibition there too:

http://www.npg.org.uk//whatson/man-ray-portraits/exhibition.php

Opens today, but might be sold out already.

Or go to the Tate Modern and look at some amazing Mark Rothko paintings.

theteaboy
    Free Member

All Star Lanes bowling is 5 min from Russell Sq and is ace if you like 50s Americana stuff. The malted milkshakes are amazing. You’ll need to book though.

footflaps

I can give you a list of interesting* cell sites to visit in the area…

Hotel Roof by brf, on Flickr

* not really…..

whippersnapper
    Free Member
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘London – Russell Square: any suggestions for what's on nearby?’ is closed to new replies.