Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • London route help – fastest/least traffic
  • nathb
    Free Member

I’m struggling to come up with a decent first route to get to my new work place that doesn’t involve:
    Hammersmith roundabout
    Shepherd’s Bush
    Oxford street

I had my Chelsea commute nailed but I’m not familiar with this part of town for cycling, it doesn’t make sense to follow that route then extend.

I need to get from W5 3XR to W1F 9PD (not the actual postcodes but close enough).

Any hidden road gems I could use?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Not sure about W3 end but as a bike courier I always avoided Oxford Street by riding through Mayfair to get to Soho.

lazybike
    Free Member

I would go Hammersmith then cut up through holland pk, or campden hill rd, If you’re going nth of oxford st you can use wigmore st, if you’re sth then cut through grosvenor square, as you already know..all routes will be very busy.

Tiger6791

Ooh that’s nearly my old commute of Ealing Common to Piccadilly Circus..

I used to go Acton to SB on Uxbridge road then through Hyde Park (Horrible route, got knocked of twice) Good luck 🙂

Andy_B

There’s a cycle route that goes against the flow in King Street which then takes you around the south of Hammersmith gyratory. I think it disrupts the flow too much so I’d just stick with Shepherds Bush. An alternative is to come along Goldhawk Road and turn down Hammersmith Grove and then navigate the back streets.
    Or else go to the North and get on the canal.

ElVino

Contra flow cycle route on kings street is nuts, pedestrians on phones wantering into it looking in the opposite direction. You need to slow right down. I use come across Ealing Common to hit the Uxbridge Road at junction with North Circular. Follow Uxbridge road through Acton and turn right at Askew Pub and go down onto Goldhawk road. If you turn down right just before Shepherds Bush you can go along edge of Brook Green and miss the worst of Hammersmith and the Bush

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

Yeah I used to use the kings road contra in Hammersmith, getting onto it was bad enough with cars edging out! That’s before the pedestrians! 😆

rhinofive

Mornington Crescent?

jimdubleyou

Don’t worry, they will turn one lane of the Westway into a cycle superhighway soon…

😈

nathb
    Free Member

Okay route V1:
    Through Chiswick turning left just before Kings Street
    Hammersmith roundabout 😡 onto Hammersmith Road
    Albert Approach – Hyde Park S.carriage
    Up to Upper Brook Street – Grosvener Square
    Exit Hanover Street – Regents (briefly)- Great Marlborough and cut down into Carnaby next to Liberty.

Try that out tomorrow hopefully! 😐

lazybike
    Free Member

Sounds good…enjoy!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mornington Crescent?

*sucks teeth*

I think he’s in contravention of the 1782 Hammersmith / Fulham Underground treaty. But I’d need to check.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘London route help – fastest/least traffic’ is closed to new replies.