Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • London Roadie Route – advice from locals
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Hi

I am planning a South to North dash through London, to be carried out on a Sunday. I want to go past the Greenwich Observatory and hence the route goes through the foot tunnel.

Can any Londoners who can help have a look at

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=wfwauturezjuwmlk

..and let me know if there are any moments of utter madness in the route that really should not be attempted on a road bike.

Ta
    Dave

brakes
    Free Member

will you be armed?
    would be interested in a write-up if you survive

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Nice route, can’t speak for the North part and have never been through that foot tunnel.

You should be fine, although you’ll have to be carefull of pedestrians when cycling through Grenwich park and Blackheath and be pretty busy, lots of parked cars at the side of the road and the one-way system can be pretty chaotic. apart from that it looks like quite a decent route, you’ll have to stop at quite a lot of junctions but lets be honest, there’s no way to avoid that when cylcing through our nations capital!

Enjoy your ride

psychle
    Free Member

Looks good to me… though is the foot tunnel open? last I heard they were doing maintenance?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The bit where you go on the A13 can be quite ‘interesting’, I’d be inclined to stay on the A1011, go round the roundabout and then you can pick up the big cycle path next to the road. IIRC

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks all..good cal on the tunnel as it is shut 🙁 is the Woolwich Ferry and option?

And thanks for the A13 advice I will look into that
    Dave

psychle
    Free Member

Thanks all..good call on the tunnel as it is shut is the Woolwich Ferry an option?

Could be… Woolwich Tunnel is defo closed, but Greenwich should be open according to this link?

The-Beard

Drop me an email, I know the route from Stratford to Waltham Cross like the back of my hand and have some recommendations for a better ride.

Cheers

TB

DavidB
    Free Member

Just phoned Greenwich Council and the tunnel will more than likely be shut. So what is the best option to cross the river. Woolwich Ferry or Rotherhithe Tunnel (which seems pretty dodgy)

ds3000
    Free Member

My commute from Lewisham to Bow goes through the Rotherhithe Tunnel in the morning and Tower Bridge on the way home.

The tunnel is safe, there’s a pavement on either side, the only problem I have is the fumes. If you have a mask, I’d wear it.

Tower Bridge would be a scenic alternative, but a bit of a diversion.

The foot tunnel being closed is a bastard.

Have a good ride.

ds3000
    Free Member

Just thought, you could pay and get the Thames Clipper service from Canary Wharf to Greenwich Pier.

DavidB
    Free Member

OK, I have added an A13 diversion over what looks like a footbridge/cyclepath?

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=wqsitzt

Also is my tunnel diversion OK if the foot tunnel is shut.

Thanks for all the help it will save my ass on Sunday
    Dave

DavidB
    Free Member

Quick bump just in case someone can look at the above new route for me.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Woolwich ferry will be fine. Just rock up and hop on.

psychle
    Free Member

Woolwich ferry will be fine. Just rock up and hop on.

Unless the tide is wrong and they cancel it… have had this happen a couple of times, bloody annoying!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just thought, you could pay and get the Thames Clipper service from Canary Wharf to Greenwich Pier.

I’m still upset… 😥

Three pounds twenty…..

DavidB
    Free Member

One last Friday morning bump to see if any of you cockney sort of types can tell me that the diversion round the A13 (onto a footbridge) on the map below is OK?

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=wqsitzt

Anyone spotting an idiot on a Ti roadbike on Sunday looking lost in London…you didn’t see me, right?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘London Roadie Route – advice from locals’ is closed to new replies.