Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • London riders-anyone used the Roadsafe website to report dangerous driving
  • righty
    Free Member

anybody used this
    website to report dangerous driving in london?did you get any response?
    I reported an incident over 2 weeks ago offering video evidence but have heard nothing. 😯

aP
    Free Member

No. I find that if there is dangerous driving around me I’m more concerned with looking after myself and using a video camera changed my behaviour too much – just like 95% of all commuting videos that are posted up.

krixmeister

aP: Just out of curiosity, what did you mean by “using a video camera changed my behaviour too much”?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

aP, +1

Besides, if I were to report anything dangerous from my commutes so far this week, it would all be other cyclists. Sad.

righty
    Free Member

maybe I should rephrase my original post When I said dangerous driving I meant specifically dangerous to me the incident I reported was a driver passing within a foot of me at 50mph.
    Every training ride I go on I would say I experience between 5 and 10 near misses such as the example above.
    I have been riding for more than 35 years and decided that enough is enough and although it is a bit time consuming I am recording all my rides and will be submitting revelant footage to the met police and make sure something is done about it, I will be calling them today to chase up the lack of response. If it is possible to find out offending drivers insurance companies then I will submit the videos to them as well
    my parameters for considering it dangerous to me is if a 4 wheeled vehicle overtakes without giving at least 60cm space, additional factors include relative speed.
    I am sure I am not alone in my experiences and if more of us provided evidence to our local police forces then british driving attitudes might start changing.

righty
    Free Member

whilst some cyclists maybe be danger to themselves, they are hardly dangerous to any other road users.
    can we stay on topic please dangerous driving not riding 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

I thought everyone knew that filming your commute with a headcam whilst yelling out offending registration numbers, then posting it all on YouTube & starting forum threads linking to it, was the absolute guaranteed method for making all drivers in the world see the error of their ways and immediately go to the nearest Church and confess to a priest?

Because as we all know, motorists spend all their evenings watching YouTube films to help them learn from mistakes and become the ultimate cycle-friendly driver.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

righty, they are a danger to other people. Such as mowing through a pedestrian crossing (Fakenger asshat last night) or forcing a truck to take unnecessary evasive action and very nearly hit another cyclist as a result (Altura Man, Cold du Blackfriars, Monday morning).

I count all those who use the roads as a responsible part of the equation. I’m not saying in any way that all cyclists, or all drivers for that matter, are saints or sinners, but just sadly saying it as I see it. I have recently seen more dangerous behaviour from cyclists than any other part of the road-using equation.

righty
    Free Member

who said anything about youtube. I am talking about getting the police and possibly insurance companies to take action against drivers that drive dangerously around cyclists

njee20
    Free Member

And what exactly are you expecting the Met to do about these drivers who gave you less space than you’d have liked, but not actually hit you?

Dangerous riders are a menace to other riders, like cars. I had someone ride into the back of me at some lights the other day, could’ve toppled left into the left turn lane with fast moving traffic, so it’s just as relevant!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

They almost certainly won’t do anything. Even when you actually get hit (but not injured) they seem reluctant to do anything.

Friend got knocked off by an uninsured, unlicensed, untaxed driver and they flagged up the plate on their system so maybe just check the numberplates?

righty
    Free Member

CaptainFlashhear- I accept your point and anyone that uses the roads from pedestrian to artics has the ultimate resposibility regardless of who is right or wrong to avoid a collision.
    whilst I don’t commute currently, until recently I rode daily from enfield to peckham and back daily for 2 years and whilst idiot bike users are generally annoying, pedestrians and a fair percentage of vehicles pose a significant danger to cyclists especially if you are riding fast and assertive.Whilst you can’t do much about peds I am sure word will get round that a bike hitting you at 20 plus mpoh hurts I must have hit in excess of 20 peds on that commute 😆 I didn’t feel good about it but I am sure in future they will look where they are going.
    We can however do something about car drivers though and the more of us who care to take action the better.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

so it’s alright to go round hitting pedestrians because you are cycling fast and assertively but cars driving fast and assertively too close to you are a problem. Weird.

Have I bitten?

njee20
    Free Member

We can however do something about car drivers though and the more of us who care to take action the better.

In some halcyon world maybe, but in reality, you can’t. The police really will not care, legally they have done nothing wrong.

righty
    Free Member

And what exactly are you expecting the Met to do about these drivers who gave you less space than you’d have liked, but not actually hit you?

Well if anyone has bothered to look at the website it is intended as a means to report various types of bad driving and for the police to take action in London.
    please start another thread if you want to discuss idiot bike users but this thread is about bad drivers and reporting them 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I must have hit in excess of 20 peds on that commute I didn’t feel good about it but I am sure in future they will look where they are going.

A little smily face for hitting in excess of 20 pedestrians? Nice touch. Makes it all better.

We can however do something about car drivers asshats on bikes hitting pedestrians and then simply blaming them, not taking any responsibility on themselves, though and the more of us who care to take action the better.

Hope that helps put things in perspective.

Cyclists shouldn’t be hitting pedestrians or motor vehicles, pedestrians shouldn’t be getting in the way of motor vehicles, motor vehicles shouldn’t be hitting pedestrians or cyclists. It takes everyone to make it work. You seem to just want to blame everyone but yourself.

khani
    Free Member

I must have hit in excess of 20 peds on that commute I didn’t feel good about it but I am sure in future they will look where they are going.

😯 so if they don’t look..mow em down eh.. 🙄

righty
    Free Member

lol I am not trolling,

so it’s alright to go round hitting pedestrians because you are cycling fast and assertively but cars driving fast and assertively too close to you are a problem. Weird.

If you read my post I said I wasn’t happy hitting peds but if someone steps out from behind a bus less than one metre in front of you and you are travelling at 15-25 mph you will hit them irresspective of what type of vehicle you are riding or driving, and better they got hit by me and learnt a lesson then got hit by a bus or car or whatever.

In some halcyon world maybe, but in reality, you can’t. The police really will not care, legally they have done nothing wrong.

look at the website, its purpose is to report bad driving and for the police to investigate

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i have cycled round that London for 5 years plus at said speeds and haven’t hit anyone yet. Off to commute now. Now I have said that I’ve probably cursed myself.

I kind of get your OP, and the site would have come in useful on monday for the cretin bus driver who over took me and then squeezed me off the road to avoid a traffic island during the overtake. However, you have a kind of funny way of delivering your message.

righty
    Free Member

I am not justifying hitting peds at all :roll:, all i was saying was the few times where it happened when they shot out in front of me and were too close for me to take to take evasive action.
    if you are are an experienced cyclist then you know that you will 99.9% of the time come off worse than the ped if you hit them

njee20
    Free Member

please start another thread if you want to discuss idiot bike users but this thread is about bad drivers and reporting them

Like you? Mowing down pedestrian, hilarious.

This thread is about your ideology where the police will drop everything to go and have words with a car driver who squeezed through a gap you deemed too small, but didn’t actually do anything.

If it is possible to find out offending drivers insurance companies then I will submit the videos to them as well
    my parameters for considering it dangerous to me is if a 4 wheeled vehicle overtakes without giving at least 60cm space, additional factors include relative speed.

The highway code recommends 6 foot. Let’s be honest that’s rarely feasible in cities. Unless they hit you, they’re not really doing anything wrong. No insurance companies are gonna give a shit! Even the website where you report this stuff (for what purpose?) are not interested…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the few times where it happened when they shot out in front of me and were too close for me to take to take evasive action.

Over 20 is not a “few”. It’s too many.

Too close for you to take evasive action, or, just maybe, you were going too fast to take evasive action. I suspect the latter.

khani
    Free Member

Twenty collisions sounds like your going too fast and not leaving enough space….you know how you feel about cars doing this to you?…those peds hold you in the same regard as you hold those cars….too fast..too close..

righty
    Free Member

when i cycle is rushour traffic in central london I would have around 20 near misses with peds daily mainly on bishopsgate,so based on that 20 is a few. Most of my collisions were at slower speeds and would end up being a mild shoulder barge and noone was really hurt.
    riding at 20 mph is not too fast hence why it is the speed limit around schools.
    I Know as I was there that in each incident that I was riding appropriately in terms of road position and speed for the conditions and doind my best to avoid any colisions which is the obligation of all road users

thewanderer
    Free Member

Mrs W commutes through central London. She reports the same thing. Peds walking around with using their phone/head somewhere else and stepping out right in front of her. Every single day.

She’s pretty quick but hasn’t had any collisions (I’ve had a few near brushes). If you don’t learn to predict these things in London and you want to ride fast you are going to get hurt.

I can see where the OP is coming from but am absolutely disheartened by the Met’s attitude to road safety. I would like to see the met apply their resources where there is greatest danger to the public.

Mrs W. recently saw 20 bike cops set up a road trap for cyclists on a quiet central intersection. Seems like a lot of resource to what is probably a low probability of danger to the public.

Every day on my commute in North London (particularly at Finsbury Park Station) I see cars/trucks/buses blatantly going through red lights, often with in full site of Police vehicles. It’s sad to see that the Police are so keen to book cyclists but have total disregard for motor vehicles blatantly breaking the law.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Double post

Stoner
    Free Member

If you’ve hit 20 pedestrians you’re a terrible cycle commuter, regardless of how lemming-like the peds are. 15 years of London commuting so far and no notches on my headtube yet.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Liklihood of hitting peds has got more to do with route choice IMO, especially in London.

I used to cycle past London Bridge station at rush hour and it was a freakin nightmare no matter what speed you ride and its so busy theres NEVER any space around you. I just went a different way.

njee20
    Free Member

when i cycle is rushour traffic in central london I would have around 20 near misses with peds daily mainly on bishopsgate,so based on that 20 is a few.

Then you’re going too fast/not concentrating.

I ride through London in rush hour, whole length of CS7-Elephant & Castle-London Bridge-Bishopsgate, and whilst there are stupid pedestrians around I’ve never hit one and certainly don’t have 20 near misses every journey!

riding at 20 mph is not too fast hence why it is the speed limit around schools.

And yet you hit pedestrians at that speed 😕

righty
    Free Member

f you’ve hit 20 pedestrians you’re a terrible cycle commuter, regardless of how lemming-like the peds are. 15 years of London commuting so far and no notches on my headtube yet.

well there are a number of factors to consider before you start question my cycling skills, ie time + location.
    At last some other people have responded that actually cycle over london bridge or up/down bishopsgate during peak hours who know how it is, rather than surbiton to to clapham or wherever you commmute lol

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I ride through London in rush hour, whole length of CS7-Elephant & Castle-London Bridge-Bishopsgate,

Tooley street is road to avoid near London Bridge, i assume you go straight over Borough high street?

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed I do, my point was more about the OP’s numerous daily ‘near misses’ with peds on Bishopsgate, whilst protesting he’s a safe cyclist. Doesn’t really seem to be the case…

teasel
    Free Member

no notches on my headtube yet

🙂

righty
    Free Member

Can we go back on topic

righty
    Free Member

I don’t avoid any route, I ride straight down the a10, I ride fast and safe and if the keyboard warriors bother to read rather than making assumtions based on limited information, noone has every been hurt, or recived even a scratch that was a result of my riding.
    maybe they got a fright but thats all :mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

I ride fast and safe

You have hit 20 people, and have an additional 20 near misses daily. You are not riding safely.

noone has every been hurt, or recived even a scratch that was a result of my riding

How do you know? Do you follow up in each instance? I’m sorry, but colliding with people at 20mph there will be injuries, they may not have broken bones, but to say no one’s ever been hurt is daft.

I get overtaken by very few people in London, but still haven’t hit any pedestrians. Anticipation, common sense and not being a **** all help.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

maybe they got a fright but thats all

Oh, well that’s OK then, isn’t it?

FFS….

righty
    Free Member

njee20 -Did i say i hit 20 people at 20mph anywhere in my post you muppet

🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Did i say i hit 20 people at 20mph anywhere in my post you muppet

Errr, yes:

Whilst you can’t do much about peds I am sure word will get round that a bike hitting you at 20 plus mpoh hurts I must have hit in excess of 20 peds on that commute

if someone steps out from behind a bus less than one metre in front of you and you are travelling at 15-25 mph

The point is that you should assume someone will appear from around the bus and not put yourself in a position where you can’t react when they do. Read the road, not rocket science. What if it’s a car that’s pulling out because the bus driver’s indicated it’s clear?

righty
    Free Member

anbyway anyone interested in the incident that prompted my initial post
    can see it here

its quite big you will need a fast connection

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘London riders-anyone used the Roadsafe website to report dangerous driving’ is closed to new replies.