• This topic has 44 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • London Residents – your help, if you'd be so kind.
  • monksie
    Free Member

I’m taking my daughter to Carnaby St. and then Harrods for a shopping trip and I hoped somebody could give me some tips on a train station where I can park the car and get the train into London rather than drive into the city. We’re driving down from the North West on a Saturday.
    Also, which tube services would be best for us and if you have any, other recommendations where I can take a very fashion conscious 13 year old.
    Thanks very much.

aP
    Free Member

How north west are you? Last Tuesday it took 5 and a half hours to drive from Penrith to west London – you may be better of getting a train from somewhere local if you don’t intend to spend 12 or 13 hours driving.
    When you say fashion conscious – what do you mean – mainstream fashion or boutique?

freddyg
    Free Member

A few years ago, we used to park at swiss cottage (I think) and get the tube in. However, we were only driving from Nottingham.

atlaz
    Free Member

You can usually find somewhere to park around Hanger Lane tube (Twyford Abbey road, The Ridings, Brunswick road etc) and then it’s a quick run into the west end on the Central Line. From there, it depends how much you want to spend really. Carnaby Street, Oxford St, Regent St, Bond St etc. If you were around on a Sunday, around Liverpool St (well, over towards Spitalfields and Truman Brewery) would be good but you’re not so it’s not 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Don’t drive towards London if you can avoid it. Loads of parking is available in places like Hampton bu no tube there, only trains once in the blue moon.
    I used to park near Grove Park Primary School in Chiswick W4 but again, no tube around.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Whenever I have to go into London I normally tend to park at Stanmore, junction 4 of the M1, if I remember correctly it’s £3 a day during the week, and £1 a day at weekends, and it is also on zone 5 of the underground, so I just get an all zones day ticket.

djglover
    Free Member

I’m not telling you where I live, because a stack of people do this and its really annoying not having anywhere to park my own car!

A hint though, look on a tube map, find desired tube station, then google streetview for a peek at the parking regulations. Not rocket science is it.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve always driven (and parked in Camden/Kentish Town/Swiss cottage) but its getting harder to find somewhere free to park and not have your car ‘parked’ by a Londoner.

The NCP carparks are extortionate.

I still drive down when I go to see friends etc (as I take my bike with me) otherwise it would be the train.

I’d honestly consider taking the train the whole way from Manchester and taking the underground. Less hassle if you travel after the weekday rush hours.

Spongebob
    Free Member

To select the ideal tube line, look at the TFL website and download the tube map. As for stations, any at the extremities of the network, but it depends on which motorway you are using to drive down. You might be better off getting the train from your region, but this will undoubtedly cost a lot more than driving (stupid given that trains are supposed to be green due to economies of scale etc).

CHECK TFL’s SITE FOR SCHEDULED ENGINEERING WORKS FOR YOUR CHOSEN DATE. AVOID LINES WITH REDUCED SERVICES. REPLACEMENT BUS SERVICES ARE PAINFULLY SLOW!

Oxford street around Marble Arch Tube and going due east towards Tottenham Court Road has a lot of shops catering for young fashion conscious people. There are quite a few large flagship stores. This is a very short walk from Carnaby Street. Covent Garden also has a good few young fashion clothes shops including a 4 storey Jack Wills branch. This is walkable within 20-30 mins from Carnaby Street, or you can catch a bus or get back on the Tube. The Piazza Covent Garden has a great buzz with an open market and street entertainers. There are various places you could eat there.

Why not look at Google Maps Street View!?

Harrods is a very interesting place to visit, a tube ride west, but is usually pretty expensive. I don’t think youngsters are too well catered for, but I might be wrong. For fashion, Harvey Nichols a few doors up from Harrods would probably be more appropriate, but that isn’t a cheap shop either.

Have fun and brace yourself for a wallet bashing! 😆

stumpy01

Stanmore would also get my vote – on the end of the Jubilee line.

Check the tfl website though for engineering works. They normally occur at weekends and the Met/Jubilee line always seems to have them. There will be a bus replacement service, but it will be SLOW……

You might want to take your daughter to Camden Market as well.

EDIT – should have read the post above before repeating a load of it!!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Is the tube the best way to get in from outside london though?

Its the wrong side i know, but the train from Woking for instance only takes around 20 minutes into london. The underground is much much slower and stops much more frequently. Must be a similarly quick train line heading to the north west.

i’d probably vote for getting the train the whole way however. If its saturday you may get a cheap advance ticket??

hora
    Free Member

In that case. Watford?

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. Traveling from Manchester.
    No, not rocket science. It’s a request for tips on car parking and train travel into London on a Saturday, asked on an Internet message forum. Thanks anyway.
    Very fashion conscious. She doesn’t really do high street fashions.We could stay over and do Sunday as well.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I used to do this and parked near Stamford Brook tube.

aP
    Free Member

If she’s very fashion conscious why is she going to Carnaby Street? Animal and Howies doesn’t really count as fashion.
    If you could try and be a little more specific then people might be able to give helpful suggestions.

monksie
    Free Member

I thought Carnaby St. was the in vogue place for fashion. Obviously not.
    Sorry if I’ve offended you ap. I’m not sure I how can be much more specific to be honest. We’re traveling down from Manchester by car (the train was over £100 return last week when I looked), I promised her a London clothes shopping trip ‘cos River Island and Top Shop in town “are chav. innit”.
    I don’t fancy trying to find my way around the mean streets of London, hence the request for parking and train info (much appreciated) rather than as a cost effective way of getting into London,. I despise driving in a city.
    Lots of helpful stuff up there already (thank you) with the obligatory prod at not so helpfulness but hey ho, it’s the way this place is of late.
    Is there somewher else we should be heading for apart from Harvey Nicks? We have one in Manchester so I think she’ll be disapointed if we go there.
    She’s (we’re) hoping for some small, independant boutique type stuff.
    I’m braced and prepared for some GBH of the bank account.

psychle
    Free Member

Head over to East London then? Shoreditch, Hoxton, Old St, Brick Lane… maybe even go as far as London Fields & Broadway Market if she’s looking for really achingly hipster… also, there’s a new TK Maxx on Charing Cross Road that is apparently quite good, haven’t been there myself yet, but it comes hightly recommended for the bargain hunter 🙂

mogrim

Very fashion conscious. She doesn’t really do high street fashions.We could stay over and do Sunday as well.

You could also wander into the V&A which has a section on fashion, lots of clothes from the past. Easy walking distance to Harrods, and free.

No idea about 13yr. old fashion in London, but suspect that will have to find out shortly. I’d guess that Camden Market would be more fun (for both of you).

aP
    Free Member

I’ve tried to help, but London is quite big, and there are specific places to go for specific things. If you don’t say what some of the things that you’re looking to find are then we can’t offer advice can we? I’m not being difficult, just trying to get a pointer as to what kind of thing you’re looking to find – do you understand why I’m doing that?

hora
    Free Member

Ok around this area (a miriad of shops off at various angles including alot of one-off boutiques etc. Theres also a shopping centre (off the wall shops inside) straight across from Belgo

Use streetview.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=WC2H+9JE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=London+WC2H+9JE&gl=uk&ei=35SpTOqZOMOL4Qab0pWjDQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

Drink plenty of coffee before driving back. You are going to be utterly knackered.

monksie
    Free Member

That’s all very helpful, thank you and I think Hora may have hit the nail very squarely on the head even though I’ve been clumsy in my description.
    Thanks again everyone.

Karinofnine

Interesting that you think London necessarily has more fashion shops than Manchester. Hard one to answer because there are loads of chains here too with small boutiques scattered around, remember rent and rates in central London are very high which favours large chains/high volume.

Camden Market is brilliant and there’s a really good rave wear shop there called CyberDog. Covent Garden has a great vibe and a market. Otherwise, if she wants to make herself stand out fashion wise, maybe she could create her own unique look by combining looks from various outlets?

Remember if you leave your car in a station car park to check your ticket. Some only last for the day, not overnight, so if you stay the night in town you may come back to find a penalty ticket.

mogrim

The Covent Garden market thing is packed full of tat that would probably appeal to a 13yr. old girl, my 10yr. old loves it.

There’s Zara, H&M, Next etc. on Long Acre.

tails
    Free Member

Neal street for shoes plus more you get off at covent garden tube.

Oxford street and the streets that enter it have all the main shops plus a bit extra, also carnaby street is there. Get off at oxford circus or the other two tubes.

Knightsbridge might be okay harrods/harvey nicks but it is an acquired taste and budget.

Camden market is supposed to be good I just can’t handle the market experience.

If the above does not have anything she is to cool for school. Cheap rail tickets can be had from the trainline.com, sorry I don’t know about parking as I don’t drive. Bare in mind that getting round all of these will take a long time and it will be very busy.

kimbers

well id reccomend totenham hale, near the end of the m11 for parking then tube in from there

to be fair topshop on oxford street is so **** huge itll have the stuff she likes even if it is ‘chavvy’

there are lots of big chain stores all round the oxford circus area

carnaby street is very touristy has a few trendy shops, not masses though

covent garden is a good bet, lots of boutiques, especially shoe shops etc though dont head toward the main square as its mostly tourist stuff, head in the opposite direction if that makes sense- neal st?

camden is great market is awesome though a bit to goth/alternative i suspect

if she wants very posh head to sloane square and walk down kings road

hora
    Free Member

This is the shopping centre around the boutiques:
    http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Shopping/Thomas_Neal_Centre/8d44/

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=Thomas+Neal+Centre&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1320&bih=776&uss=1

This is a trend-setter’s heaven. Some say it’s a bit pretentious but there’s certainly no better place to pick up the latest streetwear collections. The inside of this gentrified warehouse has been converted into a fiercely hip medley of designer outlets. The shops are strewn across two floors of rustic wooden interior, nicely complemented with a neat flagstone courtyard below where young socialites mingle, attempting to out cool one another. There are a few cafes and bars where you can pass the time of day, supping on a latte or a lager. All the shops flog labels aimed at the young, wealthy and not particularly smart. There’s Boxfresh, Carhartt, Firetrap, Fred Perry, Diesel, G-Star and Fat Face to name but a few. Individual store opening hours vary.

BadlyWiredDog

Monksie, got some ex-Londoner thoughts for you, but haven’t got your current e-mail address. Mine’s still the same, drop me a line and I’ll mail you direct.

jacksta
    Free Member

If you stay til Sunday, head to Spitalfields (Liverpool Street tube) and then up brick lane into shoreditch. Keep your eye out down all the side streets. Spitalfields has loads of food options for a break – Patisserie Valerie for cake or Leon for trendy kid food

hora
    Free Member

Big Cyclesurgery down that way as well. I miss London 🙁

Are there any sales starting soon? (i.e. save money/plan your trip then)- or are the next sales too far ahead (in Jan)

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone.
    Jon – Can I ping an email over this evening? I can’t get into my home email account from here. Thanks very much.

simon_g

Uniqlo are a big japanese brand who are London-only for the time being so while being high-street prices it’s not stuff she’d be able to get in any town centre. They’re great for doing basics in dozens of different colours. There’s 10+ stores now so not hard to find, 3-4 of them are in oxford st/regents st area.

For the big ticket label stuff, the department stores, Harvey Nicks, Selfridges, Harrods, etc.

As said, Camden (markets and shops) are good for independents especially if she’s into vintage stuff. And if she is, Beyond Retro (out near Shoreditch) is definately worth a look.

If you don’t mind a slightly longer tube ride, Hillingdon station is a good bet. Take the M40 down from brum, just inside the M25 it turns into the A40 and you can turn off, the station (and parking) is right next to it. £1/day on the weekend.

hora
    Free Member

I’m unsure about Camden market(s). Its strikes me as being very Euro-techno/Euro-Goth.

Asking middle-aged white STW’ers for hip-fashion advice though 😆 8)

cb

£66 return from Manc on a Saturday on train. Get a family railcard and maybe cheaper. Having commuted from just south of you to just north of where you are going on a regular basis…I’d use the train and spend the journey time planning and relaxing rather than fighting the roadworks.

BadlyWiredDog

Mailed you, I’m clearly too thick to simply look at your profile :-/

molgrips
    Free Member

I tend to drive to the end of the M4 then continue to Hammersmith and park in that multi-storey above the tube station. Good compromise between traffic and a lengthy tube journey.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

What about driving all the way down the M6, M42, M40 and into London on the A40.

Come off at Shepherd’s Bush and park at the stupidly big Westfield shopping mall.

Loads of parking.

Huge branches of all the shops any fashion conscious teenager could ever need.

Lots of places to eat.

Adjacent to White City Underground station if you get bored with all that and want to go into town.

Also fairly close (couple of Tube stops) to Notting Hill, which has a good market on a Saturday on Portobello Roadd for all your quirky/kooky vintage shopping needs.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Interesting that you think London necessarily has more fashion shops than Manchester.

Erm…

London’s one of the pivotal and most influential cities in the World, fashion wise. Firmly established with Milan, Paris and New York. Manchester’s a wannabe city without anywhere near the number of sources for clothes. London’s vastly diverse population mean that styles from across the Globe converge here. Aside from the Western European/US styles, there are African, Asian and many more regional flavours. London’s the epicentre for cultural production in Britain. Simples.

Youngsters tend to love Caymden. The place is full of hip and trendy young things that don’t look out for cyclists while crossing the road, that much I know. I ride through there once a week, and it’s always packed with the little bastards.

Oxford St/Covent Garden is a massive sprawl of retail madness. Nightmare. Selfridges is ridiculous for labels. (Harrods is just simply ridiculous). Bond St/New Bond St/Brook St has yer mega-spensive stuff. Covent Garden for trendy yet still spensive gear, loads of boutiques. Oxford St for high st fashions.

With yer Harrods, of course Knightsbridge/Brompton Road is gonna be posh. Then you’ve got yer Beauchamp Place. South of there is the King’s Road/Sloane Square, although I’m not sure if that would appeal to a 13 year old as much. North of there will be Kensington High St, and then Notting Hill/Portobello Road.

Brick Lane/Spitalfields has become a haven for those seeking ‘cool’. See plenty of Caymden Market types down there too. Maybe a slightly older crowd.

I dunno. Get her to do a bit of research. Trust me you’re gonna be absolutely verschmuttered come the end of the day. I don’t envy you at all.

joemarshall
    Free Member

How I see it, as someone who spent way too much time in my youth shopping at dodgy indie clothes shops, you have (in my sort of partly 10 year out of date view):

Westfield etc. for boring high street brands, but all of them in one place (literally every one of the darn things).

Camden: alternative stuff – lots of goth / indie kid / emo / crusty / rave stuff

Carnaby Street = more of that kind of thing, but a bit more mainstream – a few boutiquey vintage places, but mainly chains and brands like Vans etc.

Harrods, Harvey Nicks etc.: fashion stuff for very very rich people, possibly not so much for young people – don’t expect to pay less than £200 for a pair of trousers in this kind of shop. Selfridges has a less expensive brands, but you’re talking topshop etc. which presumably isn’t what you’re looking for?

East London (Brick Lane etc.) : vintage & trendy fashiony stuff, lots of non-chain shops once you get away from Spitalfields. Lots of places with big racks of different stuff to hunt through. You could probably find somewhere to park with an easy tube line or train ride into Liverpool St. Many of the shops aren’t eye wateringly expensive, but some are, and it is hard to predict which.

Portabello Road area: real actually vintage things, quite high prices, and a bit sparse – loads of antique shops getting in the way!

West London (kings road, Sloane Square etc.): Posh clothes, but probably not very fashionable (think the horsey / ballgown look for girls, blazers for boys)

Joe

london_lady
    Free Member

ladies fashion in London – look at Agnes B, Orla Kiely and Nichole Fahri in Covent Garden or leave her in Liberty or Selfridges for a day…..Selfridges have the new designer meets highstreet shoe gallery apparently the biggest shoe department in the world. I would also recommend looking at Comptoir des Cotonniers in Selfridges. You could also go for afternoon tea or cocktails at the Lanesbourough Hotel.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You could also go for afternoon tea or cocktails at the Lanesbourough Hotel.

I’m barred from there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘London Residents – your help, if you'd be so kind.’ is closed to new replies.