Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • London – not moving, just visiting …
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Following on from this thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/should-i-move-for-a-1-year-job-secondment

Really appreciated all the advice and comments from you guys, but after a degree of ‘will I / won’t I’, I’ve decided to stay up here in Snowdonia. Many reasons, but in particular knowing that there will be substantial change in my organisation over the next 12 months (which I think ART had a bit of awareness of!), and if I’m not here I won’t be able to influence my long-term role.

But, I still get my big city fix by travelling down to Cardiff and London every week or two. And after thinking about the benefits of big city living, I’d like to make more of my time down there.

So, suggestions please from you London types for the best things to do on weekday evenings – places to eat, pubs, shows. galleries etc? I’m down there next Monday, so give me you ideas of what to do and where go then 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

not next monday, were shut… have a look here, bound to be something..

hels
    Free Member

Tate Modern, if you can get in early before the crowds.

I am in London for work next week and dead keen to see the Leondardo da Vinci at the National Gallery, looks awesome

lazybike
    Free Member

…. never get tired of this view, its from waterloo bridge looking east, if you go to the southbank, have a wander over the bridge, good views on both sides.

mtb2020
    Free Member

Haven’t been to the Comedy Store in quite a while. But when I worked in London, I found these improv nights really funny. Can get a bit rude, but still fun: http://www.comedystoreplayers.com/

The British Museum is a good place to tour and Covent Garden is a good place to traipse around. Usually have some street theatre there most days, especially on a Sunday – or did when I used to visit.

flip
    Free Member

Check these guys out for a top night, they have two bars one in Soho the other in Kensington

http://www.thepianogroup.com/

If you can catch Nick Reeve playing it’s a treat 😉

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions – keep them coming!

Now that the nights are getting chilly, any recommendations for cosy pubs with comfy chairs and warming fires?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Churchill Arms

Pretty famous pub, very nice, can get very busy though. Does pretty decent beer (for a Laandan boozer) and reasonable Thai meals at decent prices.

The really nice thing about it is the vast amount of flowers surrounding you in the restaurant bit.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve decided to stay up here in Snowdonia. Many reasons, but in particular knowing that Elfinsafety lives there and he’s horrible and nasty and who’d want to live anywhere near him?

(Is too upset to contribute to thread in a positive and cheerful manner. Runs off sobbing)

Sue_W
    Free Member

Elf – I didn’t say that! You’re just using it as an excuse to post ‘that’ picture 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The museums are a good start, but don’t forget to check out some of the smaller ones too. Walking tours are also cheap and good for seeing things you wouldn’t normally.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For beer – Try here – http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com/ ’tis awesome.

As above, the galleries and museums are simply sublime. My pick at the moment is http://www.wallacecollection.org/ . Deliciously eclectic.

Places to eat? Crikey, how long have you got! To narrow it down, what sort of food do you like, and at what sort of budget?

Nick
    toby1

Gordon’s wine bar near Embankment station is excellent for a quiet dark evening, do go as part of a large group though, it’s only little.

King Charles 1 – N1 9BL is pretty damn good too.

There are ample amounts of gigs and nights of enertainment too.

Union Chapel stuff is always good/popular and has a varied amount of artists too so should cover all musical tastes.

If you can find anyone who works in the Gherkin, get them to take you to the bar at the top – it’s AMAZING watching the sun go down over the city, not sure what the view is like since the shard went up though.

Walk places, the streets are not paved with gold but you will find stuff you never knew existed!

Sue_W
    Free Member

CFH – food preferences? Vegetarian and fish – other than that keen to try as wide a variety as possible, but love Italian and Thai (actually I love all food … ). Budget – well ‘moderate’ rather than ‘expensive’, but happy to pay for good quality food.

Drink – I’m more of a good cider and wine person (sorry, don’t like beer 😳 )

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf – I didn’t say that! You’re just using it as an excuse to post ‘that’ picture

Heh! It’s true, I can’t lie. 😀

But seriously, between me and Flashy, we’ve pretty much got it covered. Got to give it to the bloke; he does know his London Onions.

So, Flashy for posh nosh, Elfin for cheap grub!

As for culture etc; it’s the Greatest City in the World. There’s truly something for everyone here.

djglover
    Free Member

El Pirata Detapas is Brilliant, went for the first time last week. I will be returning. Westbourne Grove

The Hillgate pub or the Ladbroke Arms should meet your requirements. People watching round there is fun..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sue; there’s a great vegetarian Indian place on Drummond St right near Easton station. Can’t remember what it’s called though. There’s a couple down there anyway.

Sue_W
    Free Member

OK – bit more specific.

I only have the evening free next Monday, and will have already come over from Cardiff late afternoon. Staying near Euston / Kings Cross, and won’t really want to travel around much more, so suggestions for pubs / places to eat that are easy to get to from there?

(will try to find out about the Indian that Elf mentioned)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cider – Chimes, up the road from Cask.

grantway
    Free Member

Should try the restaurant at the Tate Modern one of my favourite places
    also go South over to London Bridge across on the right is plenty of bars and restaurants
    Also walk down Southside of the Thames towards the Belfast (battleship)
    theres plenty of bars and restaurants there

Sue_W
    Free Member

Ooooh – Chimes does pies as well as cider 🙂 (Feeling perfectly justified in loving food as health check today has reported very low cholesterol, low weight etc …)

Damn, I need more time in London! Could then have lunch at the Tate, wander round gallery, stroll along river, go to Chimes for pie and cider. Then I’d need another day to go to comedy club followed by Indian …

grantway
    Free Member

Oh in the end of the night of clubbing get down to the Beigel Bake in Brick lane never shuts open 24/7

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chimes is close to the REAL Tate. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah Flashy’s right about the Real Tate. the other one is the Tat Modern. No that’s not a spelling mistake…

Tate Britain is a fantastic gallery with loads of top British art stuffs inside. Plus some nice pubs round there too, like that one off Grosvenor Crescent what’s it called where WCA took me hang on…

..the Grenadier, that’s it. Do you know it Flashy? Right nice little boozer that. Proper tucked away, but very popular.

grantway
    Free Member

If you get to Greenwich find this little gem The Cutty sark
    Spent many a time drinking a pint of Ale or Cider sitting on the wall
    over looking the Thames.

grantway
    Free Member

Always try Farringdon for good pubs
    I dink there many a Fridays eves

Farringdon List Of Pubs With pics and reviews

flap_jack
    Free Member

+1 for the Indian on Drummond Street. Is it called Diwana ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think the one I went in is called the Ravi Shankar actually. I’ll have to check with a friend.

Grantway; that’s a lovely pub; proper nice in Summer sat out there. Gets really busy these days though. My fave in Greenwich is up the other end, on Royal Hill:

h

The Greenwich Union. Not the most amazing pub looks wise, but they sell Meantime beer. 😐

Which as Flashy will tell you, is fabulous stuff…

Farringdon is also a good place for pubs; you’ve got the Castle, the Fox and Anchor, and there’s a little place tucked away somewhere can’t bloody remember what it’s called now. Proper old.

What’s it called now, ooh…

Ye old Mitre. That’s it. Little alley off Hatton Garden.

And there’s the Betsey Trotwood. Forgot about that one!

Need to organise another London beer crawl I mean bike ride…

grantway
    Free Member

Yep +1 vouch for, The Greenwich Union started a many pub crawl on a Thursday there
    then onto Bar Du Musse, Coach & Horses, Cutty sark

Yep Elfin noticed the larger crowed of people at the Cutty Sark when they made the new paved area
    to the left of the pub which has spoilt it a little.

Would be there tonight but off to the Dingwalls reunion a night of Jazz Fusion bliss and recollection
    of DJs Paul Murphy + George power and reminiscing the dance floors of Jaffas,Crackers and Billies.

One digs deep to find Jazz dancing shoes

chakaping
    Free Member

For excellent veggie food check out Mildreds in Soho and The Gate in Hammersmith.

Probably the two best vegetarian restaurants I’ve ever been to, and both in London.

So good that meat eaters don’t notice the lack of meat.

grantway
    Free Member

ooooooo got that wrong Loose Ends live at the Jazz cafe tonight
    and Dingwalls reunion next Sunday
    Now wheres me shoes

plumber
    Free Member

Re elfins recommendation

Diwana on Drummond street for veggie curry type thigs is quite simply excellent

I kinda like ‘look ma no hands’ cycle cafe on old street for good coffee and cake and STW mag to browse whilst you’re there. 49 Old Street, City of London EC1V 9HX

Wallace collection mentioned above is very nice, tate britain is great.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Wow – loads of suggestions! Am now slightly bewildered 😯

(It’s sooo much easier in Wales – there’s usually only one place to go to …)

So, do any of you big city types fancy meeting up for a drink next Monday evening?

I’m sure Mr Elfinsafety will come out to tell me how London is better than anywhere else, but before it turns into a mtb minority meeting of brown people and girls, does anyone else fancy coming along?

I’m going to leave it up to “those who know” to decide where to go, as long as it has a decent cider or two on tap, veggie food (pub food is fine), and is easy to get to from Euston area … over to you guys …

grantway
    Free Member

An open invitation Some very good restaurants in and around Drummond ST
    to the left hand side of Euston Station.
    Can recommend this Indian restaurant.

Zeen Indian Restaurant

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In Madrid on Monday, Sue. Sorry!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Oooh – Tate Britain* has an exhibition of Barry Flanagan’s early work on … scurries off to check work diary to see if I can fit it in with wining and dining 🙂

* CFH – is that the REAL Tate?!?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the real one!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bump for anyone possibly expecting a meet tonight (Plumber, I understand you were inertested?). Not sure where yet, but probbly not too far from Euston, as Sue is staying there and we can’t have her getting lost in the big scary metropolis now can we? 😐

If anyone’s got any recommendations for a nice pub in the area, or not too far away, does good beers and cider, feel free to post up suggestions.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks guys for meeting up last night – good to catch up and get to know some forumites 🙂 Saved me from yet another boring evening in a hotel room reading reports! And the Bree Louise was a great pub – decent ciders and eal ales on tap two minutes walk from Euston Station – hurrah!

ernie-lynch: hopefully catch up with you next time I’m down, I still owe you a pint as thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘London – not moving, just visiting …’ is closed to new replies.