• This topic has 18 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Lanesra.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • London-ists, Wembley transport help needed
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

So for the first time ever I have tickets to an England game at Wembley and am taking the wife along for a few days R and R London type stuff too

I have the train tickets and accommodation all booked – none of it is refundable

Worst case scenario is just chill in london and bin the footy tickets (get the full refund offered)

The thing is Id love to see the game and cant imagine things working out that I get more tickets any time soon

Im staying in Clapham
    I cant imagine its a great bus journey to Wembley so its looking like a cab or nothing
    As far as I can see there is no close overland station and Id rather not explore that part of London after dark 🙂

So is a cab from Clapham to Wembley realistic or cloud cuckoo land?
    How long would it take assuming an arrival for between 6-7 to be safe?

And, gulp, what would it roughly cost?

Finally I apprecitate finding one back with 80,000 other people is prob not going to be great either

Right, now Im off to the other thread talking about the hardworking fellas working the same hours as me for more money after less training….

Thanks

steelfan
    Free Member

You can get an overland train from Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction then get a cab from there. Wembley is only a few miles from Willesden Junction.

tails
    Free Member

you can get an overland train from marylebone to wembley stadium prob around a fiver

steelfan
    Free Member

or you could then get a train from Willesden junction to Wembley Central and then Wembley itself is just a short walk.

catfood
    Free Member

Overground to Waterloo from Clapham Junction, Jubilee line from Waterloo to Wembley Park, bingo.

steelfan
    Free Member

Getting a cab from Clapham to Wembley would probably be around £20 maybe more. To be honest its not the best journey especially if the cab goes via Fulham palace road and Hammersmith. It can be very busy at the time of day you want to go.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hello, catfood- have you not been paying attention?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Take a train to Richmond, change for overground to Stonebridge Park, walk. I did it (walk) when years ago Aerosmith were at Wembley Arena.
    Any form of a car will mean hours in traffic. Stay well clear.
    One last thing – get to Wembley early, loads of lovely Indian curry houses there to feed at and kill time.
    Going back is always easier. Follow the crowd to the North Circular, get a bus to Ealing, change there for 65 to Richmond, train back to Clapham.
    A cab would probably be over £100 each way as you’ll pay for the time and distance due to traffic.
    Have fun!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Trains will not stop at Wembley Stadium tomorrow, BBC London website is your friend http://www.bbc.co.uk/london

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hairy; that’s pointless. As mentioned; Clapham Junk- Willesden Junk – Wembley Central. Stonebridge is a bit of a walk from the stadium. And the OP does not in any way want to be walking around That London late at night….

djglover
    Free Member

the cab will be miles more than £20, I reckon 40-60. Its not often I’ve taken a cab in London but its bloody expensive unless you fill the cab.

steelfan
    Free Member

yeah ure right dj. I dont often get a cab thats why I ride a bike! Probably would have been £20 about 15-20yrs ago!

theflatboy
    Free Member

clapham to victoria overland train. walk from victoria to marylebone station (realistically this may take an hour). train from marylebone to wembley.

tails
    Free Member

It is only the tube that are striking right?? If so chiltern railways will be running from marylebone station to wembley stadium (unless they close it for footy games, would be a very british thing to do) as me and flatboy said. Can’t help you with the rest of it but flatboy has and everything is walkable in london

djglover
    Free Member

walkable? clapham to wembley is at least 10 miles

tails
    Free Member

Hairychested
    Free Member

RB, I lived nearby for years and know this corner of London a bit. It isn’t half bad as long as you leave Neasden and its surroundings alone. Besides, why try to take a train that other 70+k people will try?
    On top of that, if you walk down the A406 (North Circular) you get to THE Ace Cafe where I’ve never experienced any nonsense. Guinness, some vodka and great music. Then you carry on to Hanger Lane where you pay a visit to The Hunter (used to be the best amphetamine supplier around). Loads of Eastern European girls who know what adult fun means. From there it’s a sort walk to Ealing Broadway only.
    I got back this way from Metallica gig at Wembley. Well, the girls were not on the agenda as my father-in-law is ex-Special Police Forces (back in Poland) and I want to remain alive.
    65 is a 24/7 bus and if you want some casual friendship it’ll take you down to the Surrey Capital of BJ – Kingston.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the walk from victoria to marylebone station is a piece of piss if you leave enough time. i often do similar out of choice rather than take the tube. i’d definitely do that.

in fact, looking at the map tails put up, it’s less far than i actually thought. you could do it in about 35 mins.

Lanesra
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother, the chiltern trains that run on that route are generally only 5-6 carriages long. And on normal England matchdays theres usually 10,000+ fans trying to get to Wembley using Baker Street and Marylebone (I live nr both) – Walking from Victoria to Marylebone would take an hr at least (takes 15 mins by cab)

Even if you do manage to get there your chances of getting back to Clapham are zero

Find a pub and watch it, will be a shit game anyway

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘London-ists, Wembley transport help needed’ is closed to new replies.