• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • London Holiday Today. Oyster Card?
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Got empty ones off relatives. Do we just top them up and away we go?
    Got confused by the website, if we stay in zone 1 & 2 we won’t get charged more than £9 a day, something like that.

Also, what to do round Kings Cross?

crazy-legs

Yep, just top it up.
    I’ve got one which I use whenever I visit family down there, never had any issues with it being battered for a few days then left alone for months. They don’t cancel them and the cards never expire.

No idea about charges or how the system works though!

geoffj

TFL have introduced the tap in and out with a contact less credit or debit card – same rates as oyster too.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless

Also, what to do round Kings Cross?

British library

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Wellcome Trust is near Kings X. Some interesting medical stuff. Its a short walk to the British Museum, too. Also use the bus rather than the tube. Usually just as quick and much more pleasant and better for looking around. Either that or walk. Central London isn’t actually that big and you see some interesting things on the way.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes as above just top it up. The Oyster works so that you never pay more than a 1 day travel card. Just remember to tap in and out even if the barrier is open otherwise you will be “penalty charged”. Don’t forget the buses, they are a great way to see London whilst getting around. TBH the only interesting thing around Kings Cross is St Pancarus station. Head elsewhere pronto.

joshvegas
    Free Member

And beware of…. CARD CLASH

Rio

if we stay in zone 1 and 2 we won’t get charged more than £9 a day

£8.40, or £7 if you start after 9:30. If you stick to buses then £4.40.

Andy_B

No need for an Oyster card nowadays. Just use your contactless debit / credit card. Stick with the same one for daily and weekly capping. The advantage being that you wont have credit that you need to reclaim before you leave.

Cheapest way to get around is Boris bike – £2 per day access fee then free if you stick to sub 30 minute journeys which is usally enough time to get around. It helps if you have some idea of your way round. Also, if you’ve got time buy a key. The debit card experience is painful and this speeds up taking a bike.

If you have a smart phone get it loaded up with some bus tracking apps and a boris bike finder.

theflatboy
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member

And beware of…. CARD CLASH

Exactly – every time I see one of those signs it amuses me that that’s now a “thing”… another stress of modern life!

CountZero

I think card-clash is becoming more common, we have a card access system on all internal doors at work, plus other locations like our warehouse, and I often hear a regular beeping noise as one of the blokes downstairs struggles to get into my room because he’s got several cards/dongles, and they fight with each other.
    I’ve only got one card plus my Oyster Card, and I don’t get any issues.
    I usually get a notification that mine’s topped up at Hammersmith, as it’s always the first station I travel from when in That London.
    Auto top-up is something you have to activate on TfL’s website, IIRC, it’s been a few years since I used the site, though.

CountZero

Not all of us have contactless debit cards, so an Oyster is the only alternative; at least, until TfL allow the use of smartphones equipped with NFC tech.
    It’s worth getting the Oyster smartphone app, it allows you to check travel details and make amendments easily.
    Also set up auto-topup, it’s dead easy to forget to check, and you’ll always have funds on it whenever you need it.
    Mine only gets used a few times a year, but I’m damned glad I have it, instead of having to queue at the machine for ten minutes.

senorj

Just go to the ticket office(while they still have them,cheers boris you hat.)
    Give the nice person your cash or card and bingo.
    You can also swipe the oyster on a ticket machine ,then follow the instructions
    If it were still hot ,and if you were accompanying children,you could have a wander up York way,left onto
    Goods way and play in the fountains at granary square.
    The redevelopment around kings x is amazing.imo.
    Camely street nature reserve is just along goods way too.
    British museum is worth a look.regents park very near (especially by bike as suggested).
    Camden market is also very close .
    Edit -just saw the “today” bit …oops,hope you had a lovely day.

LMT
    Free Member

If your just using the tube, you can get a cheaper tube pass from the train station, I got one for about £7 a few months back, after half 9 can use it all day, worked for me last time and its all zones which was great to go a bit further afield.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘London Holiday Today. Oyster Card?’ is closed to new replies.