Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • London – Hillingdon/Ickenham parking/traffic?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Need to get to Canary Wharf for 9am from Bristol (2 people). Train will be £100 each or I am thinking of driving to a tube station. A quick search says Hillingdon or Ickenham which both seem to have decently sized car parks but after some local knowledge of traffic (7.30-8am) and likelihood of getting a space easily. Tube connections seems easy enough.

Will be coming in on the M4-M25 clockwise.

stumpy01

I used to go to uni in Uxbridge, so know that area fairly well – although had no car at the time, so it was all public transport.

That general area is a nightmare in a car, particularly during commute times.
    The M4-M25 & A40 will be pretty clogged. I can’t remember what the parking is like at Hillingdon, but I think there’s a decent sized car park.

The train from Hillingdon to Canary Wharf is a fair old trek as well. Hillingdon to Wembley Park is about 25mins (I am originally from Wembley) and then you’ve got almost 20mins to Baker St….so to get to Canary Wharf you are potentially looking at the thick end of 1.2-1.5hrs.

Have you looked at one of the smaller stations outside the M25, just off the M4 that will take you into London (Paddington, I think); somewhere like Maidenhead or Slough. The train fare might be considerably less and although the trains will be rammed (I imagine) you won’t have to battle with the traffic closer to the M25.

Either that or drive in the evening before and stay at a Travelodge/premier inn.

andyl
    Free Member

overnights not an option as with a colleague.

Slough could be an option. Only £9 and that’s probably a standard fair so don’t need to book?

takisawa2

Have used both before now, but it was during the school hols.
    Both are big car-parks, but we preffered Ickenham as it had a chap on duty. We arrived at about 10am, & I’d say it was half full.
    Given you’ve over an hour of tube journey, I’d say you should be ok for a space between 7 – 7:30.
    The Ruislip tube stations might have parking also.
    Traffic wise, I’d try & get from the M4 to the M40 before the M25 as thats likley to be the sticky bit. These stations are only a few mins from the end of the M40.
    Hillingdon is about 35mins out of London by tube, but the cheapest way to do it. From 9:30 you can get an all-zones card for about £9.
    Used the train once, from Seer Green (IIRC). That was expensive, & given we had to change to the tube, just catching the tube was easier.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hum. Not straightforward to drive. Parking in the extreme West and tubing it over is, as above, not a great plan. You might want to leave earlier and drive round the M25 a bit before tubing it, perhaps to say Epping and coming in on Central Line and switch to Jubilee.

I used to park at Hillingdon years ago when going to Wembley for football matches. I would always aim to be in the car park by 7am, commute to work then after match in the evening return to the car.

I think the best plan is to stay overnight or get the train.

stumpy01

andyl – Member

overnights not an option as with a colleague.

Slough could be an option. Only £9 and that’s probably a standard fair so don’t need to book?

That seems very cheap. Is that return or single? And does it include travelcard use once you get into the main station?

……….Looking on the trainline website, I think it’s £9 single. You want the anytime day travelcard, which is £21 (and is a return ticket, which includes your travelcard).

andyl
    Free Member

yeah £9 each way or £15 return.

Does the £21 travelcard include tube etc? I normally just use my Oyter card when in London but the travelcard option works out the same (at worst).

Looks like the easier option.

If I train it I need to get the 6am train but my local trains won’t get there in time so i will need a 1hr car journey to get the train. I normally plan to be in london from 10am but this time I need to be earlier.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I haven’t read all the above replies but Denham main line station may be an option as it’s just off the M40/M25 and avoids all the traffic that builds up around Ickenham and Hillingdon. Mainline trains get in Marylebone in around 20 mins and then you can use the Jubilee line to Canary Wharf.

DrJ

Maybe the OP is not completely bonkers. The tube journey is 55 mins and while that may be no fun, it’s more reliable than sitting in traffic?

stumpy01

andyl – Member

yeah £9 each way or £15 return.

Does the £21 travelcard include tube etc? I normally just use my Oyter card when in London but the travelcard option works out the same (at worst).

Yeah, £21 includes the travelcard, but might be better just using your Oyster card once you get into London. Dunno.

DrJ – Member

Maybe the OP is not completely bonkers. The tube journey is 55 mins and while that may be no fun, it’s more reliable than sitting in traffic?

It could well be a better plan, but it just depends on the traffic around the M4 as it approaches the M25, the traffic on the M25 and the traffic on the A40 to get to Hillingdon/Ickenham.
    On a workday morning, I would be guessing it would be pretty terrible, even if leaving early.

Denham might not be a bad shout…

andyl
    Free Member

I am thinking Slough – paddington – tube to Canary Wharf.

Train: 5am start, get a lift to the station via colleagues = 1hr + 1hr 45 + 25 min tube + waiting time. £200 ish each to come back before 6pm (meeting finishes at 4pm). I would normally try and meet up with a friend for drink and kill a bit of time and get a train after 7pm back which saves me £50-75 and just about buys a couple of rounds for us at London prices 😉

Drive: 5.30am start, pick up colleague, drive to Slough, train then tube = 30 min, 1hr 30, 30, 25 = about the same travel time. <£100 for both of us all in.

Only thing worrying me is getting a parking space at a station.

annebr
    Free Member

Or Go to Amersham or Rickmansworth (plenty of parking) catch the Chiltern line to Marylebone. Then walk down to Baker st or one stop on the Bakerloo line and change to the Jubilee line to Canary Wharf.

Chiltern line is much faster than Met line and you travel on a tube ticket so same price.

Should take about an hour ish.

dave32
    Free Member

I live 2 min walk from Ickenham tube station, All Permit parking but as i’m such a nice chap (haha) i can give you a permit to cover you for the days parking in the road next to the station..

DrJ

Chiltern Line Amersham to Marylebone seems to be about 40 min so all in all the Met line option looks to be quicker, especially with dave32’s heroic intervention 🙂 Doncha love STW ?

dave32
    Free Member

Haha I try my best…..

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Anyone living two minutes from Ickenham station lives the wrong side of the railway track and probably drinks in the Coach and Horses, take that parking permit at your peril 😆

dave32
    Free Member

Cheeky ***** I don’t live in glebe!!!!

dave32
    Free Member

And it’s the soldiers for me….To many posers in the coach,plus they don’t mind you being caked in mud for post ride beers

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

[quoteCheeky ***** I don’t live in glebe!!!![/quote]

LOL, I used to.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you’re coming in from Bristol and hence the M4 I’d be more tempted to either get the train in from West Drayton / Hayes / SouthHall into Paddington or skip along the M4 a little further drop off the M4 flyover just before the Chisick round about -> Lionel Road park within 10 min walk of South ealing station then Tube to CW.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘London – Hillingdon/Ickenham parking/traffic?’ is closed to new replies.