Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • London going to be hell tomorrow
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Its going to snow like mad here tonight. Last time that happened I left the road bike at home, used public transport and had a just miserable time there and back.

Should I just man up, pull out an MTB and get on with it?

sas
    Free Member

Yes. It's fun and you get to laugh at all the drivers stuck in the snow.

glenncampbell

You've got more chance of getting through on the MTB than anything else – safe journey!

xcstu
    Free Member

Haha.. I rode on the road bike into london that day last year…. lots of fun 😉

def get the mtb out….

Dickyboy

Fresh snow – MTB all the way, get out & enjoy it

mcboo
    Free Member

going to be 40cm some places……seriously we cant cope with that. Safe is a priority, Mrs aint going to be happy but I cant face the trains again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

40cm? Where did you get that info? 🙂

Should I just man up, pull out an MTB and get on with it?

That's what I intend to do! 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

40cm in London? I rather doubt it!

But, I'll make sure the camera is ready just in case! London in the snow looks lovely.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This was Wimbledon Common after the big dump on 2 February. There were no trains from my station, and riding only took 50% longer than usual. 😀

matt_outandabout

40cm on high ground, in some areas…

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring….

joolsburger
    Free Member

Not going to happen it will be dusted like a cake and that will be it.

About 1 cm if we are lucky but I bet I'm still one of the few in the office!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

MTB here too.

I'd argue it's way safer than a car, and probably safer than public transport*. Either way it'll be faster. And more fun. You can also cut straight across all the commons and parks.

The last lot of snow/sleet/ice we had, the fixie was actually fairly manageable, in a sketchy sphincter twitching kinda way.

* it'll certainly be safer for the poor sod who would otherwise be stuck sitting next to me when I lose the plot.

mcboo
    Free Member

I live in Crouch End = high ground luv…….20m above at least

Dickyboy

"warning that almost half a metre of snow could fall on Salisbury Plain"

"almost" & "could" & "Salisbury Plain" hardly equate to 40cm in London do they now?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Winchmore Hill for me. Considerably higher. 21m probably

My CRC package has finally arrived so I can get the rear mech on and use the mountain bike tomorrow

kimbers

i was away when it snowed last year im dying to get my mtb on the snow!!

well as i commute on an mtb too maybe ill just change the tyres

marsdenman
    Free Member

About 1 cm

thats what a mate said when she got the train into Manchester this morning and heard there had been snow in the city…
    she got of the train at Victoria and walked out into 6" of snow……

Oh, how I do hope it really snows in London Village tomorrow – can't wait for the headlines – it'll be like it's never snowed before 😀

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

London going to be hell tomorrow

Like every other day…. 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just have a look HERE

Heavy snow tonight and then light snow all day tomorrow.

It snowed back home (Cheshire) last night, they had about 4" in the towns and a fair bit more in the smaller villages

aP
    Free Member

…bit like all the moaning northerners complaining about a light powdering of snow and how their faux-by-faux fell in the river.

ononeorange
    GTDave
    Free Member

We'll get some snow down here in Londinium. But i'll wager that it won't amount to anything more than 2-3 cm at the most.
    15-20cm? No chance.

qwerty
    Free Member

joolsburger
    Free Member

1 cm tops I'm prepared to wager no money at all on it.

There will be more snow in my freezer.

They promise fun days off on the bike with the kids but they wont deliver.

mieszko
    Free Member

I had some scary moments on Friday night in Edinburgh due to ice on road and not taking the MTB. Road bike made it but had to go really slow and brakes were hopeless as well. Next day I just went on the MTB, put some mudguards on and I was at work quicker then my friend on the bus. Wear warm clothes, put some mudguards and just enjoy the ride in snow no MTFU required. No grip or braking issues with normal tyres and disc brakes.

woffle
    Free Member

snow = fine. ice = scary. Have been doing my usual commute today and yesterday and I prefer it when it's been snowing – it's not got above freezing for a good few days and on the country roads there's not a gritter to be seen so some scary black ice is getting worse. Not sure riding will be a very good idea tomorrow but we'll see whether the doom and gloom weather forecasters get it wrong or right again…

that said, even if I do get out and to a station, regardless of which one – I've zero confidence in the trains running so don't think it'll be worth venturing out anyway.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘London going to be hell tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.