• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • London fancy hotels
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone stayed at any of these?

Intercontinental Westminster
    Crowne Plaza St James
    Crowne Plaza City

Trying to choose where to go with the Mrs later this week. The Intercontinental will cost a bit of money along with the points, but it looks like it might be worth it.

tomhoward

Do the prices include lunch?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Molly,

I assume you’ve checked out The Goring as well? 😉 Spent my wedding night there, a superb spot! 🙂

Of those, the St James has a great location, tucked a little out of the way by St James’s Park Tube. Walking distance to all the good stuff. There’s also Quilon next door for a great meal.

The City is dead at the weekend. Worth bearing in mind, but it may well be cheaper. Not a bad location, though.

The IC Westminster has been recently done up, so might be well worth a punt.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Not stayed at those but I’ve stayed at Park Plaza County Hall and Westminster bridge a few times for work. They are nice but a tad sterile as they are business orientated but that also means they can be cheap at the weekend.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Crowne plaza city was very nice last December, might be out of the way a bit, depends what you are planning on doing. But not really, all relative.

tonyg2003

We stated in St Martins Lane recently and it was very nice although a little small. Great location if you want to see some shows too.

A friend stayed at the Royal Horseguards and though it was very good.

Crowne Plaza’s and Intercontental’s are a bit too chainy.

Try one of the lastminute.com secret hotel deals. I use this alot.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks guys. As always this is with hotel points so I am limited to IHG group hotels. I’ll still have to top up, the Westminster is a little more expensive than the other two.

I was leaning towards the St James’s one.

iolo
    Free Member

Just go to the Dorchester and use the points some other time

qwerty
    Free Member
    tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Stayed at the intercontinental Westminster a few months ago – lovely hotel, really nice room, across the road is the tube station so dead handy… But it was a little soul less.

The Corinthia would be my first choice of posh hotel – took the missus there earlier this year. Absolutely superb. Pricey but they often have offers on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks, but unless it’s free I can’t afford it 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Hazlits hotel. £750 for two nights!!?!?!?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Zetters in clerkenwell.
    Worry about the points later.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Kingsway Hall Hotel in Holborn is superb, very different to all the Hiltons etc in London as it has a very personal feel to it, almost like a Country Club but not snobby, just nice. We got lucky with a cheap deal there ages ago and had a fantastic time. I also like the Gouman at Charing Cross which will be a bit cheaper but again has a nice personal feel. Gouman is slightly better located being on the Bakerloo line but the Kingsway is at the east end of Oxford Street if thats ideal? Stayed in plenty more hotels in London but they are by far the nicest.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure you are quite following the gist of the thread…

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I was just ignoring the IHG bit, there is nothing “fancy” about those three though, its just they are somewhat formal and business-y. I do understand that having points can help reduce costs but honestly, somewhere like Kingsway Hall is just a world away from a big chain hotel like an Intercontinental and regardless of whether you are in a suite or a cupboard, you get treated the same at Kingsway which is nice. If you go to London a lot then use the points and stay at St James’, if you dont go that often, honestly I’d go elsewhere and save the points for another time.

molgrips
    Free Member

£300 for two nights is too fancy for my pocket.

I’ve been to loads of big chain hotels, and I am almost always happy with the service I receive. And for the low low price of £0 I’ll take my chances!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Ah, didnt realise the points made it free and not just reduced… have fun!

molgrips
    Free Member

Some of them I think I have to spend £30 per night as a top up. Still cheap as chips though.

molgrips
    Free Member

In the Crowne Plaza St James, it’s decent.

Looking for something to do tomorrow morning though. Cheap, interesting, historical, west or central…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Molly, a walk to Tate in Pimlico, then a few beers and lunch at Cask!

Walk through Parliament Sq, turn right along the river towards Tate. Nice walk.

sturmeyarcher

No use to the OP but another vote for The Zetter in Clerkenwell. The Townhouse is magical and the cocktail lounge is second to none for laid-back style.

DT78
    Free Member

Try the Gore in knightsbridge. Awesome we got a really good deal last month

Edit its south kensington near royal college of art

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘London fancy hotels’ is closed to new replies.