• This topic has 34 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • London family break, July, where to stay ?
  • iainc

The 4 of us, kids 8 and 12, are looking at a 3 night London break start of July. Train from Glasgow, family room, somewhere decent, connected for city attractions, not silly money.

Any ideas ? So far google is looking like loadsamoney….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s a Travelodge thingy near Waterloo that gets well reviewed, and a place on John Islip Street that keeps changing name but is meant to be good value, too.

Being really central may be a little more £££, but I reckon the extra time to do stuff, coupled with the lower stress of not having to “commute” back to your hotel just makes it a little better.

stumpyjon

We did 2 nights in the Watford Holiday Inn Express. Right next to the station and an easy commute into London by train. We came back fairly late one night after seeing a show so no issues with the return journey. Also right handy for the Harry Potter studios, the bus leaves from outside the station. Not central London but a lot cheaper and easy to get to.

TheDTs
    Free Member

We stayed in a managed apartment on Tower bridge road. Great value and a bit more useful than a hotel room.
    Think apartments, managed the block and quite a few others in that area.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

There is an Ibis in Greenwich which can normally be booked pretty cheap through London Town, London Nights etc, Greenwich is nice and the park would be a pleasant place to be with kids too. Pretty sure the Maritime museum has finished its refurb too.

Do you have any clubcard points or nectar points? not sure what chians they can be used with but we always got good deals with Hilton through one of them.

iainc

Some good ideas so far, thanks. Harry Potter is on the agenda so Watford has some appeal, also like idea of being central too…

midlifecrashes

Pot luck on the search sites got me into the Metropole one year for very sensible money. Other times we’ve been in YHA St Pancras a few times, and Pax Lodge run by the Girl Guides.

withersea
    Free Member

Premier Inn, south bank, near London eye

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

tick. Harry Potter world is on the agenda soon!.

pacerc200
    Free Member

YHA on bolsover st, en suite family room with 2 bunks. 10 mins walk from Euston station and 5mins walk from various tube. Bar/pizzeria in reception and various restaurants on surrounding streets. We’ve used it a number of times and found it to be brilliant for London breaks. Well priced for location leaving more cash for attractions

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Try alpharooms and airbnb Iain.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Watford has some appeal

I suspect that’s the first time that phrase has been written! 😉

iainc

^^^^ 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

airbnb turns up a gorgeous Dutch barge in central London for 160 a night. Not for your dates, but hey!.

MoreCashThanDash

We used the Travelodge at Richmond when we wanted London – 5 minutes walk from the station to get in to the centre, 10 minutes to Kew Gardens. Booked (far) in advance a family room was less than £30 a night.

When we did Harry Potter at Easter we got a cheap Travelodge on the edge of Hemel.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Premier inn blackfriars or YHA oxford st – both fab and great value

iainc

That premier inn blackfriars looks decent value…

specusuk
    Free Member

Travelodge in Southwark. Relatively new, quiet street and a short walk to Southwark Tube station and the Tate Modern.

squirrelking
    Free Member

We just booked the exact same thing with the same requirements for June. Turns out anything sub £70pn is gonna be a dive. We ended up booking the Hampton by Hilton in Croyden. 15 mins into Victoria by Overground, literally the cheapest we could find at a reasonable distance and of good repute.

About equidistant between East and West Croyden, whichever one you choose will get you into town, they’re about 10mins walk. Decided to get the ticket to Euston as we don’t fancy dragging mini-squirrel straight onto the underground after a 4.5 hour train journey. There’s a Travelodge in Croyden that does similar rates as well.

djglover
    Free Member

We are renting a 2 bed flat in Marylebone through airbnb. Was a much more appealing prospect than travel lodge etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP Blackfriars is a decent location, close to St Paul’s, Tower and Tower Bridge, Tate Modern, Leadenhall Market (Harry Potter location for Diagone Alley) not too far to Imperial War museum, Shakespears Globe and Thames walk

Also AirBnB is commonly used for this sort of trip, easy to “cook in” and save money on restaurants

grtdkad

Two Novotels, both near Southbank – they tune in to family breaks and not daft money, particularly with the deals available. Can often get accommodation there for less the Prem Inn and get much better standard of room.

mogrim

We used the Travelodge at Richmond when we wanted London – 5 minutes walk from the station to get in to the centre, 10 minutes to Kew Gardens. Booked (far) in advance a family room was less than £30 a night.

If staying slightly out of town is an option, Richmond is also a lot nicer than some of the other places mentioned, and you can set the kids loose on the Green while you have a pint at one of the many pubs overlooking it.

benp1

AirBnB

Location doesn’t really matter, you’ll be on the tube and travelling around most of the day

iainc

some good deals on Novotel Brentford – no idea on the area/connectivity though – thoughts ?

Danno72
    Free Member

Air BnB. We used it a couple of months back and it was so much better than sitting in a hotel room and the kids loved it. Great flexibility with check in and out too. Can’t recommend it enough.

aP
    Free Member

Brentford is ok, the hotel is next to the A4 with the M4 flyover above, its a very new building – TBH I hadn;t realsied that it had opened.Its just not right next to anything else – 5 minute walk to Brentford station.

iainc

Thanks, Novotel Brentford do a good deal which also gets us discounted train tickets from Glasgow to Euston, so works out well cheaper than others. Some of the AirBnB ones looking good too though

Andy_B

Personally, I’d want to be a bit closer to the centre than Brentford. It will probably take about an hour to get there from Euston.

These kind of trips tend to be exhausting and extra travel adds to that.

Airbnb sounds good just so you can do your own breakfast when you want it rather than getting the family ready first.

djglover
    Free Member

Brentford to Waterloo is over 30 mins, add your z1 tube trip in and it’s a proper commute to the centre. I used to live about 1 mile from there. I would suggest staying more central, then you can use the plethora of Central london restaurants that are family friendly, Strada and Pizza express spring straight to mind. There is nothing around that Brentford Novotel really, although the Ealing Park Tavern has improved much recently it’s not kid friendly.

iainc

^^^ thanks, hadn’t realised that far out, cheers

freeagent
    Free Member

another vote for a managed apartment – see if you can find something close to either the tube, or the DLR.

mugsys_m8

Novotel Brentford is very close to my current client (WP) Iain. Want me to book an appointment? 😉

vondally
    Free Member

Try Lse vacations….student accommodation
    Ibis usual have deals blackfrairs was good as is Southwark Travelodge
    Yha also very good nr euston

iainc

mugsys_m8 – Member
    Novotel Brentford is very close to my current client (WP) Iain. Want me to book an appointment?

POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

😀 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘London family break, July, where to stay ?’ is closed to new replies.