Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • London cycling infrastructure improvements
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Have we done this yet? Looks like some good stuff happening, particularly this:

This would start at Tower Hill, where it would connect to the existing Barclays Cycle Superhighway Route 3 (CS3), which runs east to Canary Wharf and Barking. From Tower Hill, the new route would run along Lower and Upper Thames Street, Victoria Embankment, across Parliament Square, through St James’s Park, Green Park and Hyde Park, and over the Westway flyover from Westbourne Bridge to Wood Lane. From there, it would continue along the A40 Western Avenue as far as Horn Lane, Acton.

Parliament square is a right pain in the arse when going from Paddington to anywhere central. Will look forward to that.

darrenspink
    Free Member

As long as its replicated in every city or major town its a good idea. 900m though ?

aP
    Free Member

Why would you go through Parliament Square going from Paddington to anywhere central?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hyde park, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Bridge, Upper Ground to Southwark, did that a lot.

aP
    Free Member

Southwark isn’t what you’d call central London though is it?

crazy-legs

Northern edge of Southwark is right up at the Thames – Waterloo, London Bridge. Maybe not “central” in the tourist definition but certainly commuter central.

brakes
    Free Member

I rarely ride the Tower Hill to Westminster stretch as it’s not a normal route I take AND it’s horrible as it’s a race track for construction lorries and motorbikes/ scooters using the bike lane.
    Because of all the coach-party tourists flocking to see the poppies at the Tower of London today the roads were grid-locked. I rode from Tower to Westminster today and there was no traffic at all. But then coming back, the traffic was crawling along and one in 5 vehicles was a construction HGV.
    Something needs to be done, the ideal being segregated cycleways and limiting traffic speed to 20mph. it’s a main artery for HGVs so it would be good to keep them on this road rather than forcing them elsewhere – but they need to forced or learn to behave properly.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would. A 5 minute walk to St Pauls, I could see the whole City from the office just across the water.

Re Tower hill to Westminster.. I use upper and lower Thames St because I’m a hardcore cyclist 😉 but the alternative is trundling around the City which takes forever and isn’t very nice either. A cycleway on Thames St would be great.

brakes
    Free Member

a thread on something pretty signifant for cyclists, even those outside of London, and people would rather pick the OP up on his geography…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘London cycling infrastructure improvements’ is closed to new replies.