Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • London cops challenge cyclist
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

This video came up on my fb feed, thought it might be of interest.

Prop to cyclist for not losing it with nobby rozzer.

Video: Would you take on the Garda like this cyclist?

Junkyard
    Free Member

No shouting , no threats of violence, no saying who you were just two people reasonably stating their views

Who should I be more surprised at the copper or the cyclist? 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Two people politely disagreeing about something.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair points junky.

I was hoping for a 5 page frothathon but it is too measured.

thepurist

Bike doing 20 in a 20,riding out of the door zone down a busy road. Can’t see he was doing much wrong, other than the first reaction to the close ish pass from Pc copper. I bet if he’d waited a minute he’d have had a closer pass to react to.

I applaud the actions of forces who are using trap bikes to educate drivers, but try hard not to react to drivers myself any more.

JackHammer

Cyclist owned his bum. He couldn’t overtaken a car like that he’d have crashed into it.

mtbfix

I presume, though could not see, that both parties rolled their eyes on going their seperate ways.

…but try hard not to react to drivers myself any more.

This. Not worth the bother.

bensales
    Free Member

I do wonder at the motivations of someone who rides around with three different cameras on their bike, and manages to produce a remarkably well-shot and edited video for social media.

jekkyl

‘are you detaining me? I’m late for work’ cycles on.
    love that guy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume they are just someone who wants to highlight what its like to ride a bike

nickewen
    Free Member

Well played that man. Cool, calm, collected and absolutely nowt wrong with his riding. Copper didn’t know his stuff. Amazes me how many people think bikes should be in the gutter and say stuff like “well how am I meant to get past otherwise?”… Well your not you dick you just have to wait.. even more incredible in city centres where the bike will inevitably re-overtake them and 20 other cars! Gonna stop typing now.. getting angry!

bails

bensales » I do wonder at the motivations of someone who rides around with three different cameras on their bike, and manages to produce a remarkably well-shot and edited video for social media

Could be something to do with being a victim of bad driving and having to report it to police officers who are often ignorant/hostile towards cyclists, like the one in the video.

ski
    Free Member

Way to many ‘sir’

hammerite
    Free Member

You should read the seething, frothing comments of “people who clearly don’t like cyclists” in the Sun. Somewhat less measured than the comments on here!

user-removed
    Free Member

Some days I’m amazed at how fantastic the local drivers are around here (NE England); pulling right on to the other side of the road to overtake, waiting patiently until all the traffic islands have finished, not overtaking on blind summits. Then I have days like today; old lady very, very nearly clipped me and scared the crap out of me doing about 45 in a 30 zone, businessman pulled out in front of me at a roundabout causing me to come to a standstill and right at the very end of my road, a neighbour pulled the ubiquitous overtake then immediate left turn.

It’s a lottery and sometimes the polis are as guilty as the rest of them.

allthepies
    Free Member

It was like a medieval stylee argument.

sirromj

ski said » Way to many ‘sir’

Yes fam.

breadcrumb

I think I’ll use “Sir” tomorrow.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’m surprised cyclists are allowing themselves to be used as pawns in the hate agenda to rid the roads of cyclists.

We all know that so called news stories are used to shape agendas and the plebs lap it up, on cue, every time. Peoples anger is easily stoked regarding road issues. Very few people like waiting behind cyclists to overtake.

The constant reporting is designed to keep it in the public arena and create a perception of cyclists being self righteous, confrontational, irresponsible road users, a general nuisance (some are) and it’s ok to abuse them and worse.

Don’t bank on people remaining objective! Constant biased reporting creates a no smoke without fire mentality. Unfortunately it seems like the majority of British people are happy to draw simplistic conclusions and push for equally simplistic punishments for them/other people.

hammerite
    Free Member

The sir thing reminded me of a conversation between two rugby players and the referee in the bar after a match.

oink1
    Free Member

Fair play to the cyclist I say 😉

cookeaa

The constant reporting is designed to keep it in the public arena and create a perception of cyclists being self righteous, confrontational, irresponsible road users, a general nuisance (some are) and it’s ok to abuse them and worse.

The red tops trying to whip up the frothing mob mentality always reminds me of this little episode in their glorious history…

We’re at the point again where there’s alot of aimless rage about, they’re still quite good at providing the great unwashed with a focus for it…

And yes, far too many ‘sirs’ in that (suspiciously well shot and edited) video… Prime click-bait.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Who knew they had disc brakes and bike cameras back in the Victorian era? 😆

But fair play to the cyclist, if he was indeed doing 20 in a 20 zone, passing parked cars at a safe distance and then being overtaken by a potentially speeding police car without sirens at close distance.

… Exactly what other police forces are actively trying to combat with undercover cyclists! 😯

nickjb
    Free Member

at close distance.

Didn’t you hear him? He had to do a close pass as there wasn’t space to give him more room. 🙄

bensales
    Free Member

bails – Member

Could be something to do with being a victim of bad driving and having to report it to police officers who are often ignorant/hostile towards cyclists, like the one in the video.

Oh, I don’t disagree with his point of view, and I use a camera myself on the bike. But he had a front facing camera on the bars, a rear facing camera on the bars that gave nice shots of him pedalling, and the car behind, and a rear camera on the seatpost. All beautifully cut together afterwards and in HD.

If he simply wanted to capture close passes and cut-ups, then a front facing camera with a 30 second clip will do the trick.

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe he wants to produce videos that are more likely to go viral and get the message out there. Pretty obvious the police aren’t doing enough

Drac

Cyclist was a dick.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Obvious troll is obvious

Drac

I’m not sure he was trolling acting like a dick.

aracer
    Free Member

Go on then Drac, how was the cyclist being a dick?

nickjb
    Free Member

Using the roads, not riding in the gutter and, worst of all, not paying road tax

eshershore
    Free Member

the frightening thing about the mob mentality in London is how quickly they have cottoned onto idea of the “cycle lane” and will harass cyclists who legally choose to use the road.

I’ve had it 3 times in one day, being told “get off the road” by ignorant motorists.

These cycle lanes often don’t meet the national standards for width, or offer any physical protection, and often have extra hazards, or have an inherently dangerous design at junctions, and in London are full of half-wheeling strava racers trying to overtake in dangerous situations

The highway code is very clear about not using cycle lanes if you feel they are dangerous.

DezB
    Free Member

Copper was a dick. And a completely wrong dick at that.

Drac

Go on then Drac, how was the cyclist being a dick?

Well. He was taking up an uncessary amount of room riding some distance into the road I understand but making difficult for other road users to pass then complaing about it. Both started off Ok duirng their discussion but he sounded like a kid at the end when the Police Officer was just giving him some sound advice.

JackHammer

Burn him!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Informing a copper he’s wrong probably makes someone quite nervous. That’s what it sounded like to me.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m bored of these discussions, they’re illogical and well..childish.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Drac he was cycling in an entirely appropriate position.

aracer
    Free Member

Complaining about somebody passing close is reasonable whatever the reason or the provocation for the close pass – as the cyclist reasonably pointed out, plod didn’t have to overtake him, and he was doing 20 in a 20 limit. As for the rest – that’s according to plod who’s word you’re presumably taking as gospel, because there looked nothing at all wrong with his road positioning. If such road positioning makes it hard for other vehicles to pass or “obstructs” them, then tough – he’s just as much* right to be on the roads as anybody else, and whilst he’s there he has the right to ride in such a way as to maximise his safety even if that slightly inconveniences others (though as already pointed out, this is London, so inconvenience is mainly making them hit the next queue a little later).

NONE of that makes the cyclist a dick – on the contrary it makes him a sensible and safe cyclist.

Both started off Ok duirng their discussion but he sounded like a kid at the end when the Police Officer was just giving him some sound advice.

Well there’s the problem right there – the plod was wrong, it wasn’t sound advice. As DezB points out, how do you expect him to sound when telling a copper he’s wrong?

* arguably more – he’s there by right

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well. He was taking up an uncessary amount of room riding some distance into the road I understand but making difficult for other road users to pass then complaing about it.

As he said he was doing 20 in a 20 zone so there was no way to legally overtake him and then the cip car had to slow fr the speed bumps anyway – i get this on my road as they try to overtake between the speed bumps I like it best when they realise and just hit them at 30 anyway to avoid being re over [ under] taken by me or I break to avoid the impatient nobber which is the more usual

these discussion show who never ever rides a bike on the roads, has never commuted and simply gives a car drivers perspective of road use

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘London cops challenge cyclist’ is closed to new replies.