• This topic has 43 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • London Bike Show – am I being unrealistic?
  • cinnamon_girl

So … I’ve got a thing for a CX bike and the chances of being able to demo a small blokes model is nil.

Ah the London Bike Show should be the go-to place no? Checked out the website and not exactly many bike brands will be there. 😐

I despair, I really do!

grizzly c_g

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s not really a ‘bike’ show as such. More of an outdoor adventure show with bikes thrown in.

cinnamon_girl

Really? I didn’t realise!

riddoch

Last time I went there were quite a lot of brands there but depending what they have on their display they might not have the actual size, more one of each model.
    Bear in mind when you see Madison or Paligap in the show guide they are the importers for a number of brands.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CG, for demos (and especially in teeny tiny sizes), I wouldn’t say it’s the best bet, sadly.

Have you had a ring around the LBS locally? They might be able to arrange a demo bike in from a manufacturer in your size if you know (roughly) what you’re after. Which leads me on to….What are you after?

(BTW, I’ll be in Wiltshire’s finest LBS on Saturday morning, so can have a look at what they’ve got for you if you like!)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Follow Wiggle – thy have quite a few demo days coming up tied into events.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Canyon are there this year, they may have thier CX bike there but if you are looking to demo a size in anything <52cm’s I think you’ve had it, sorry.

The show itself is fine if you are looking a bikes, bikes in a range of brands that is. As for demo’s I can’t remember seeing any at last years show at all.

If thats all you are coming over for then you are wasting you precious time CG, IMO of course.

HTH

Tiger6791

No, it’s pointless for that sort of thing, I tried once and it’s a show “as in look” but don’t touch.

They’re not even aloud to sell things there 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not even if they do it on the quiet?

(See what I did there?)

rewski
    Free Member

upgrade are there with kinesis, plenty there last year

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Whereabouts in the world are you?
    You’re welcome to try my 51cm Planet X Uncle John if you’re anywhere near Shropshire/Mid Wales borders.

Tiger6791

😀 very good

drlex
    Free Member

“…Wiltshire’s finest LBS…”
    Stonehenge Cycles, perchance?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your guess is correct!

hammyuk
    Free Member

CG – if it’s any help you can try my Giant TCR2 for sizing

bigyinn
    Free Member

You expect help after ending a sentence with “no?”? Burn her!

jameso

We’re hosting the track for a second year and have bikes from Canyon, Rose, Scott, Vitus etc.

Copied from an email asking us for demo bikes recently – so there are demo bikes, what they will be will be down to brand test fleets.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

CG – if it’s any help you can try my Giant TCR2 for sizing

The TCR and TCX are completely different in terms of geometry so probably not advisable.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m going there on Thursday night, as long as I don’t have to swim there.
    I hope to sit on a couple of bikes so I’ll let you know.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks guys for all the helpful and amusing replies. 😀

Yes, I should talk with my lovely lbs and I’m currently liking the look of both the Cannondale and Genesis ones. Have been cured of the frameswapitis virus so don’t want to get it wrong. 😳

Looking at around 52cm, that’s what my roadie is anyway.

Mind you, entry fee has gone up a helluva lot since I last went to a bike show!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup 2shillings and 6pence was a lot back then eh!

To be fair it’s not a bad show, you do get to see lots of bikes face to face and pull on brake levers and lick tyres… There are of course other shows going on there too so if you get bored of bikes then pacing up and down the Outdoor show could be inspiring if summer ever appears.

Should be fun, STW are there too and hey, it’s about time I made my way to say thanks for a fun forum..

daftvader
    Free Member

If it’s any help I have a caadx and they come up big. I have a synapse in a 56cm and the caadx is 54 as the 56 was too big.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

CG – You’re welcome to come and have a try on the 52cm Croix De Fer I’m selling – details here

Matt

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

LBS in Cheltenham has Meridas/Trek crossrips and cross bikes.New carbon Trek is smart.To models of Merida £800/£1000.

Kryton57

No, it’s pointless for that sort of thing, I tried once and it’s a show “as in look” but don’t touch.

They’re not even aloud to sell things there

I don’t know where this myth comes from. I’ve bought plenty at the last two shows and was inches away from putting a Colagno on my credit card 2 years ago.

finbar
    Free Member

Er, shameless plug but i have a 51cm Kinesis Pro6 frame I want to sell. My email address is in my profile if you’re interested.

TonyDubya
    Free Member

Bike and Run in N.London had a 51cm Cannondale CaadX in the other week,

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nah. Forget the show. Not a chance, I was there yesterday.

nedrapier

I was there last night. Quite good fun. Things I dun while I was there (in between following brakes at a discreet distance, as per normal)
    – Ogled the Singulars, thought I could quite happily have all of them, had a quick chat about bars with Sam, quick chat about bikepacking luggage with the Kiwi Singular rider,
    – Tried out all the flavours of Torq stuff. Pink grapefruit drink and Mango bars won for me.
    – had a clamber on the bouldering area to see if my shoulder was recovered enough to start climbing again (it wasn’t)
    – a few pints of aspalls,
    – some trial mouthfuls of North East National Trust Beers and a chat with the brewer – the Dark ale and the pale ale were very good.
    – A mouthful of Beaver Pie, which was amazing, so I bought a whole one.
    – A stand and a munch and a chat at the Snowdonia Cheese stand, the Whisky one is still amazing, the chili one and the black bomber are also great. Then all the others. all tasty.
    – Various return visits to bug the guy on the Garmin stand in the Blacks area – nearly bought an Oregon 600. – 20% off all Garmin at the show (but no Edge units – bit of an oversight at a combined outdoor/bike show!)
    – A spin round the pump track with a couple of tips from Tom Dowie. Good fun.

brakes
    Free Member

in between following brakes at a discreet distance

*looks over shoulder…*
    did you see me? you should have said hello.

I wandered around for a couple of hours aimlessly. I thought it was pretty good. mainly went to look at road bikes I can get on cyclescheme so checked out the Planet Xs and Ribbles. Most interesting thing was the guys trying to bring products to market like a foldable helmet, some reflective spray paint, some bike stands and a light manufacturer.

There were a lot of bikes to look at, ogle (and laugh at… *cough* fatbikes) and you could even ride some on the test track or pump track. Well worth the fiver I spent on the ticket for the evening.

much much better than the alternative which was an evening in with the visiting in-laws… even the puncture on the way home was better than that.

cinnamon_girl

With the upsurge in cycling aren’t these manufacturers missing a trick? Just think, all those new cyclists stroking and hugging shiny bikes and falling in love.

Must have been around 10 years ago that I went but there’s no way I’d pay £16 for a half-hearted attempt at putting on a ‘show’.

Actually, it’s quite disrespectful to both existing and potential customers. 😐

*awaits somebody telling me I’ve got it completely wrong* 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Actually, it’s quite disrespectful to both existing and potential customers

What the eck are you on about?

cinnamon_girl

What the eck are you on about?

Sorry, I’m getting incredibly grumpy with this weather. 😳

I do feel that manufacturers should be making an effort to showcase their wares.

benp1

I thought if was alright, not amazing. Think I would have been disappointed for £20 unless I wanted something specifically there, got a free ticket from Danny at CRG moto though. Went last night, after 5pm it was £7 so that’s quite good

Felt more biased towards road riding than mtb in general. Shame the MCN show wasn’t on and included…

Bought a Polite think bike hi vis for motorcycle commuting in the dark/wet, handy as I could try them on

rewski
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m getting incredibly grumpy with this weather

Understandable, perhaps pop along to the London Bike Show and cheer yourself up, it was great last year.

brakes
    Free Member

Guy Martin’s shonky record breaking bike was there – complete with sand.
    AND there was a 4kg Olympia bike
    AND the obligatory free High5 sample pack

AND of course the Singletrack stand with high-tech subscribotron ipad and some bikes that they couldn’t be arsed cleaning 😉

nedrapier

Yes – the other highlight being Guy Martin’s speed record bike! The only thing im took photos of.

brakes, I might have seen you, but I have no idea what you look like! I just saw your post and thought it was funny to see you were there on the same evening.

Could do a beer at lunchtime? Think you only work a few hundred yards away. HDQ at 1?

brakes
    Free Member

I work opposite HDQ. can’t do this lunchtime though as I’ve got a ‘lunch and learn’ and I ripped my tyre on the way in this morning so got to sort that out. next week?

nedrapier

Not 3 Minster court? That would be even weirder.

Kryton57

Bought a Polite think bike hi vis for motorcycle commuting in the dark/wet, handy as I could try them on

I’d just like to point out that someone bought something.

DG in reality they only have so much space on a stand, and although I suppose they could keep every size of bike in a van behind the scenes, the purpose of the show is to showcase, not necessarily to sample. If you saw something you like, pop down to the LBS and get a test ride, and have a commercial discussion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘London Bike Show – am I being unrealistic?’ is closed to new replies.