Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • London bike security – Fail :-(
  • psychle
    Free Member

What a bugger, imagine coming back to your bike to find this! 😡

The pity is that the owner has good locks, just didn't use them properly! Though those little teeny u-locks are pretty useless for securing wheels… should've got pitlocks or something I guess?

Lovely bike though, thinking about popping a note on it just in case the owner is completely disillusioned with riding and wants to sell! 😉

singletrackhor
    Free Member

unlucky!

what tyres for london bike stand?

william
    Free Member

Could he have taken the wheels with him. He removed the saddle so why not the wheels?

psychle
    Free Member

Could he have taken the wheels with him. He removed the saddle so why not the wheels?

'tis certainly possible I guess, didn't think of that… bit of a faff though?

oldgit
    Free Member

Probably bagged the wheels, looks to cute to fall for that.

vinnyeh

He removed the saddle so why not the wheels?

Saddles still there, though. Fixie, so probably bolted on at the back – would a casual thief have a spanner? Anyone on here know? 🙂
    I'd say it's a possibility he's got the wheels with him at work.

supinerider
    Free Member

The seatclamp is sitting on the lock so, yep, looks too careful to leave the wheels.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

The saddle is there but it looks like the scroats took the seat clamp!

EDIT: d'oh, too slow.

pdw
    Free Member

Though those little teeny u-locks are pretty useless for securing wheels…

Just put the lock around the rear wheel in the rear triangle. No need to put it round the frame itself. Doesn't help with the front wheel, of course.

theflatboy
    Free Member

would assume he'd taken the wheels too, but would you leave it like that with chain on the floor?

oldgit
    Free Member

LFG&SS has a ongoing post about this sort of thing, worth a look.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Whereabouts in London?

ski
    Free Member

Do you think a bike without wheels less appealing to a bike thief than a bike with wheels?

Or do you think it will attract more intrest from people looking to take bits?

btw, my guess is the owner has a nice set of wheels tucked up safely in an office somewhere.

psychle
    Free Member

Whereabouts in London?

Interested in doing a pick of carcass picking are we? 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

seatclamp is threaded onto the d-lock.

i doubt anyone that anal would have left their wheels unsecured.

Dave

duntmatter
    Free Member

Looks like Tooley Street pavement to me.

kimbers

i used to take my wheels and saddle into the office when i took the nice bike in

vinnyeh

Now that's anal.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Um no (and as I have an identical lock I'm hoping they're not that easy to get off).

I'm just wondering where it is that's either so bad that someone's had both wheels in broad daylight (given that a bike like that wouldn't still be around if parked overnight) or that the owner has (as seems likely) felt the need to take both wheels into the office with him.

Anyone use pitlocks?

D0NK

woah, way too much effort, just get some bolt QRs, or secruity QRs if your that anal/worried.

funkynick

Also, if you weren't taking your wheels with you, wouldn't you have made sure that the lock went through the back wheel at the very least?

psychle
    Free Member

Also, if you weren't taking your wheels with you, wouldn't you have made sure that the lock went through the back wheel at the very least?

That's what I would've thought as well… may well be that he's taken his wheels somewhere, but it's a fair old amount of faff (especially with a fixie, assuming the wheel would be a bolt through?)

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Surely someone couldn't be bothered to half dismantle their bike every time they want to park? If that's the price of a riding a nice bike in a city, then it's too high, IMO. Get a hack…

coffeeking
    Free Member

as with mansonsoul – just wouldn't take a decent bike – too much faffing.

nicko74

mmm… it's a tradeoff, isn't it.
    Locked bike shed area at work – lock front wheel to frame, leave saddle and rear wheel as is.
    Street for an hour or less, lock front wheel to rear wheel to frame, take seatpost if QR (or use locking QRs).
    Street for any longer – wouldn't risk it, personally.

First time I went to Shepherds Bush I saw a forlorn frame locked to the railings outside the West 12 shopping centre. It had been stripped – wheels, seat, seatpost, brakes, handlebars, mechs, stem, forks, headset, cranks, bottom bracket(!). It was quite shocking…

steve_b77
    Free Member

That lock would've fitted through the back wheel no worries.

The owner definitely took them off, it's a right PITA removing the back wheel with track ends and bolts, you get all sorts of crap off the chain on yer fingers

brakes
    Free Member

good one Columbo 😀
    crime identification FAIL

psychle
    Free Member

good one Columbo
    crime identification FAIL

I don't know… I don't think we've come to a firm conclusion as yet. Personally I reckon it's unlikely someone would remove their fixed rear wheel, especially considering there'd be a chaintug involved (perhaps) and as Steve points out

it's a right PITA removing the back wheel with track ends and bolts, you get all sorts of crap off the chain on yer fingers

Anyhoo… I have put a not on the bike, as I'm quite interested in it if the cyclist decides they don't want it, shall see what's what I guess (though, he/she may call me up and accuse me of the theft I guess, if that's what it is!)

fingerbike
    Free Member

Always done as stated on Sheldons site:
    Sheldon Brown – Lock Strategy and a cable lock for the front wheel…

alpin
    Free Member

you'll often see bikews in a similar state when wandering around london.

i'm guessingm, like many others, that the guy has taken the wheels with him.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i've got some pinhead locking sqkewers, picked them up cheap in a CRC fire sale. Great little things, plus theres a bottle opener on the key ring.

Sometimes i just lock the front wheel up when its in those bike stands that pinch the front tyre.

What was the name of those skeweres that only undo when the bike is upside down?

FuzzyWuzzy

Aye probably fancy carbon tri-spokes so took them with him, it's what the muppets that wear girl's jeans and have silly earrings seem to have as a common wheel choice.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

It could, of course, be run singlespeed (not fixed) with QW's.

psychle
    Free Member

It could, of course, be run singlespeed (not fixed) with QW's.

Only got a front brake? Hardly conclusive I know, but a good indicator it's a fixie?

GTDave
    Free Member

duntmatter –

Nah, Tooley bike posts are all of the silver variety. Plus there is no red-route marking on the road. 😉

duntmatter
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member

Now that's anal.

I was going to say it's not anal, it's observant. But then..

GTDave – Member

Nah, Tooley bike posts are all of the silver variety. Plus there is no red-route marking on the road.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘London bike security – Fail :-(’ is closed to new replies.