Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • London accessible riding in the peaks
  • captaindanger

Any recommendations of routes/gpx for rides in the peaks which are easily accessible from London? Assuming Sheffield is the place to go and we’ll ride from there for two days, carrying stuff and staying somewhere overnight. deally some good singletrack! Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks

jeffl

From Sheffield I’d head out to Lady Cannings and do a couple of laps. Then onto the Hope Valley, stay at Castleton overnight. Next day a nice loop around ladybower way, back up by Hathersage and back to Sheffield. VP dark peak book would be a good buy.

captaindanger

Thanks will check that out

ahwiles
    Free Member

If you’re coming to Sheffield, arriving via the station, I reckon it would be a shame if no-one mentioned Parkwood Springs…

(15 mins from the station, and bloody good fun)

thepodge
    Free Member

I prefer parkwood to Cannings, it’s a more interesting loop than a fire road climb and a 30 second dh.

However I’d sack Sheffield off and just change trains and head straight out to Hope or Edale.

jeffl

Actually getting the train to hope is a good call. Cycling out of Sheffield isn’t the most fun or easily navigable option if you’ve not done it a few times.

jekkyl

YHAs in both parts of the Peak District are recommended, the one in Castleton is a lovely old historic building.

thepodge
    Free Member

You could go out via Endcliff and Porter but I’d feel that was wasted time of you’re only up for the weekend

DiscJockey
    Free Member

From Sheffield station, head out on the A57, then bear left and head down to Hunters Bar. From there, go into Endcliffe Park, and you can ride all the way up to Stannage Edge off-road. From there, I’d head north towards Ladybower, head up the ‘cheeky’ path to North America, and on towards Bolsterstone. Take the road towards Langsett, but do a left before you cross the dam, and climb up to Cut Gate Pass, and descend down to Derwent/Ladybower reservoirs. Before reaching the bottom of the Snake Pass, take one of the right turns to head over to Hope valley. Eventually take a bridleway up to Hollins Cross, then Mam Tor, Rushup Edge, Roych Clough and down to Hayfield and stay at the campsite. The next morning, climb back East up to Edale Cross, down Jacobs Ladder to Edale…..then I’ve run out of things, but there’s plenty to do on the way back to Sheffield 🙂

captaindanger

DJ thanks that looks great. How long do you expect for that day 1? We’re pretty quick but not racers…

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Sorry for delay in replying – I’d give it a day each way, i.e. 7 or 8 hours reasonably easy going each day. So it would fit your 2 day schedule well. And if you don’t get as far as Hayfield on the 1st day, you just try and stay wherever you get to and head back. You’ll usually meet plenty of other riders on the hills between Manchester and Sheffield, so it won’t seem to remote.

ctk
    Free Member

I’d stay in Hope or Edale and do loops from there.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve got a 100km loop that starts at dore station. My email is in profile if you want to drop me a line

docrobster
    Free Member

Definitely change trains at sheffield for hope valley

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

This place is just over a mile away from Hope station- Pindale Bunkhouse,I stayed there the other weekend.Lots of nice riding is easily accessible – left straight out the front door and then offroad -up and then across to Mam Tor where you can ride all that Edale area and also pick up Ladybower Loop up Jagger Clough if you want.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘London accessible riding in the peaks’ is closed to new replies.