• This topic has 36 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • London
  • RealMan
    Free Member

A few mates think its a good idea to go down to London on 31st December to watch the fireworks. They are thinking about going down in the evening.

Is this a bad idea? Will anything be open? Or is it just going to be us standing around in the cold for a few hours waiting for some pretty lights?

molgrips
    Free Member

London?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

London scares the bajesus out of me. For my sake, don’t go.

ton

find a nice quiet hill
    take a tent
    and some nice malt………..or pop cos your a young un
    and enjoy.

stay away from the big town….it aint nice. 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

London doesn’t close. Everything will be open and reassuringly expensive as usual.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fish, chips, cup o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f’in Poppins, you know, London.

kimbers

u can go and watch the fireworks but really u need a plan

a lot of places will be ticket only and the real fun only starts after midnight anyway

check out timeout and various other websites for whats on

it can be expensive though

not sure if hampstead or ally pally will be open late but great places to watch the fireworks from

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

London?

Yes Molgrips, London. where d’you think he meant, Dalton-in-Furness??????? 🙄

If you’ve never done the London NYE thing before, then it could be fun, but it will be very very busy, very very cold, and very very expensive. There will be loads of like-minded people on the streets, and it’ll be a real buzz, as long as you’re careful and watch out for yourself and yer mates. Sadly there are always gonna be one or two nasty criminal types out there trying to rob folk and cause trouble. Stay together in a group, and you’ll be fine.

Have fun!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Again I have to agree with the unwashed little urchin that is Fred. London on NYE is sublime.

+1 for needing a plan, it can be good but you will need a place to go etc, also bear in mind how big it is so try and factor that in and how long it can take the move around. Dont forget the tube shuts at around midnight and everyone will be after the cabs etc. Personally Im a big fan of a bonfire and a massive winter bbq out in the sticks but I reckon it could be shweeet!

If you can still get tickets see my recommendation would be hootanany in Brixton the Correspondents are playing! Check these guys out if you like 1920s influenced swing hip hop! ! :-
    [video]http://vimeo.com/11062065[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

expensive

who are you and wot ave you dun to teh real spensive fred?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

I lived in London for 20 years and always left on NYE or stayed at home 😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He’s got terrible wind unfortunately, so has sent me along in his place.

LycraLout
    Free Member

as long as you’re careful and watch out for yourself and yer mates.

so, based on that recommendation, you might want to get yourself “tooled up” for your night on the town. I think I prefer somewhere were personal safety is taken for granted and we can concentrate on just enjoying ourselves

RealMan
    Free Member

Cheers all, will think about it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

so, based on that recommendation, you might want to get yourself “tooled up” for your night on the town.

No, just be realistic about any possible risks, and not be careless, that’s all. I generally avoid bad situations because I exercise an appropriate level of caution. I still have fun though.

See, yer flaming balls above could break off and burn a small child’s face horribly, or cause an explosion killing dozens of innocent bystanders.

(Elfin’s wind has eased somewhat, although he’s had to lie on his side, with sporadic eruptions. I understand the pressure has greatly reduced, and normal service shall be resumed shortly)

LycraLout
    Free Member

I generally avoid bad situations because I exercise an appropriate level of caution.

You still have to be careful – that’s your advice. I like just relaxing and enjoying myself, not having to stay alert in case some nutter kicks off.
    Those fireball things are a bit dangerous though, I had one bounce off my head one year causing some smouldering and a need for an emergency haircut to try and restore order, but nothing serious in the 11 or 12 years I’ve been helping out – and they don’t explode or fall apart
    And I wear a hat now

Alejandro
    Free Member

It’s okay but somewhat mayhemish in central London when seeing the fireworks. There are a couple of million people there, the Police pen everyone into a pre-destined route that you must follow and everyone will be piling into the one off-license that is open or the McD’s. Going into a bar/restaurant will be unfeasable due to them being all booked out for the night. You have to get there early to secure a half-decent spot where you can see them from unobstructed by tower blocks and other people, and then it is just a case of waiting a few hours in the cold to see them, then a few hours to be back as the police once again have to control the flow of people through pre-defined routes to tube stations etc. Someone said the stations close at midnight but I’m not so sure.

It’s an okay experience but once you’ve done it, you won’t be up for doing it again I don’t think.

I think I have to jump in here and say that having come from the Blackburn/Burnley area and now living in London for 2 years (having been working here freelance for 4 years previous!) I can catergorically state that I would feel much, much safer going out in Hackney or anywhere like that rather than Burnley on NYE!!!!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like just relaxing and enjoying myself, not having to stay alert in case some nutter kicks off.

Could happen just as easily in some quiet little village, as in Central London. Some local with emotional issues cos he’s found out his wife has been sleeping with one of the fishermen, but hasn’t been able to confront them about the affair, might flip and murder several people in a psychotic rage. Then shoot down a police helicopter. Horrible things happen in quite places too you know…

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve been in London for the last 15 years and I did NYE in town once right at the start. Never again. Too many people, too hard to get served in pubs, parties too expensive.

LycraLout
    Free Member

alejandro – for me that describes hell, not a night out. go where the uniforms tell you to, queue forever for food, watch the people round you, be aware of your wallet and the people you’re with, the closest you see to fireworks is blue flashing lights making their way through the crowds, long walk home.
    no, not for me. but if it’s anyone else’s idea of fun, knock yourself out (or hang around and see if someone else does it for you, which they might if elfinfred’s advice is right)

mefty
    Free Member

Done Stonehaven, never done Central London although I live there, Blackheath on the Millennium is the closest I have got.

Kunstler

I have had so many fantastic Hogmanays in Scotland. Fireworks are a tiny distraction from a very extensive party. The spectacle is the time with friends old and new.

LycraLout
    Free Member

I prefer to party at places where the advice is to stay warm, not to be

careful and watch out for yourself and yer mates.

If you need to be handing out that advice, it says all I want to know about my safety at the event.

shoot down a police helicopter

– not everywhere is so lawless the cops need helicopters you know. There are some places where people know how to behave – difficult for you to grasp maybe, but true.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

LycraLout; stay in your little village then. Never venture beyond the parish boundary, lest ye be taken by daemons…

Raoul Moat, Derrick Bird, Thomas Hamilton; all massacred people in quiet rural areas.

Nowhere is safe. 😯

Personally, having done the London NYE a few times, I’m content to stay in or go to a quite party these days, but it can be loads of fun for younger folk. And there is surprisingly little trouble actually. Quite a lot of families out and that, and the police and authorities help make it a safe experience for people.

LycraLout
    Free Member

as long as you’re careful and watch out for yourself and yer mates. Sadly there are always gonna be one or two nasty criminal types out there trying to rob folk and cause trouble. Stay together in a group, and you’ll be fine.

mmm sounds wonderful, reminds me of why i left the dirty, smelly shthole. still, i’m comparing it to other places i’ve lived. i don’t suppose you can do that, can you?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh get over yourself mate. 🙄

You obviously have a far, far better life than anyone here, and are far, far happier. I can tell that, from your immensely uplifting posts, which are always full of joy and sunshine. Oh how we can only dream to be as lucky as you, eh?

I’m comparing it to other places i’ve lived. i don’t suppose you can do that, can you?

Nope. Not bothered either. Don’t spose you can understand that, in your bitter, frustrated, narrow little mind, can you?

Happy New Year! 😀

X

MrSmith
    Free Member

– not everywhere is so lawless the cops need helicopters you know. There are some places where people know how to behave – difficult for you to grasp maybe, but true.

where’s that then?
    are you referring to those places that chop your hand of if you steal stuff?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t worry MrSmith, LycraLout is simply looking for an argument, a chance to have a pop at something he doesn’t like personally, rather than actually try to be helpful.

True facts are, that in spite of the vast numbers of people out on NYE in London, arrests and injuries are remarkably low. My experience of many NYE’s in London have been very positive, with loads of happy memories. The Millennium celebrations were especially memorable; spectacular fireworks that night, I’ve never seen anything like it. I was lucky enough to be at a party in a tower block on the Isle of Dogs, with Central London spread out in front of us. Simply amazing. We were calling people out in the street, random strangers, to come up and have a drink. Fantastic night. Everyone had a really great time.

Whatever you do, have a good un! 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

So what you’re saying is that I’m going to get stabbed…?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No probably not. 😀

Whereas if you were in some rural village somewhere, then it’s highly likely you’ll be murdered by a deranged psychopath, I’m afraid to say. Sorry, but it’s true. 🙁

NZCol

I set myself on Fire in London NY 2000. Not an immoliation or anything just too much beer and a fireworks faux pas. Gently smouldering, I got on the tube and read poetry to my girlfriend who cried. Somewhere later that night we had an argument and she punched me in the face. I woke up in the back garden with a shocking hangover, melted jacket and a sore face. Oh to be young.

Kunstler

I set myself on Fire in London NY 2000. Not an immoliation or anything just too much beer and a fireworks faux pas. Gently smouldering, I got on the tube and read poetry to my girlfriend who cried. Somewhere later that night we had an argument and she punched me in the face. I woke up in the back garden with a shocking hangover, melted jacket and a sore face. Oh to be young.

That’s lovely. Cinematic. Oh yes.

atlaz
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Whereas if you were in some rural village somewhere, then it’s highly likely you’ll be murdered by a deranged psychopath, I’m afraid to say. Sorry, but it’s true.

Friend of mine used to tell me constantly how London was FAR more dangerous than where he lived (“quiet” town in the country in the US). I did some comparison of published crime stats and yes, you were twice as likely to be mugged here as there, but 7 times more likely to be raped or murdered in his quiet part of the world than in London. Enjoy the countryside, it’s where all the proper nutters have their homes!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I did NYE in Central London some years ago. I ended up walking from Temple back to Ealing Broadway, a very long walk. But I was 26 only. Not to be repeated anytime soon.

hora
    Free Member

Germany NY’s a few years ago was amazing. Everyone came out of their houses and let off loads of fireworks in the street and hugged each other.

Mental 😀

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘London’ is closed to new replies.