Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lomo/Holga cameras.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I had a quick look around the Lomo/Holga/Diana shop today and was tempted by one of the Diana for some 45€s of fun.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Show me your Lomography… 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t know anything about them, but don’t spoonerise when you’re buying one.

donsimon
    Free Member

😆 Indeed a Lolga would be most embarrassing. 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ericemel
    Free Member

They are fun but work out hellishly expensive for developing.

Try hipstamatic on an iPhone…..

argyle
    Free Member

I love my lomo but as mentioned developing a film for one or two cracking pics can be a pricey hobby! Still fun though

donsimon
    Free Member

Try hipstamatic on an iPhone…..

I think a Lomo would be a lot cheaper and waaaaaaay cooler, thanks anyway.

M6TTF
    Free Member

A limo would be cheaper than a lomo, hardly anywhere (that’s good) for processing and bloody expensive. Does produce great pics though

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Expensive to run, but I do like how they force you to care about the moment rather than twiddling with knobs. 12 shots per roll (on a 120 version) and jamming is not unheard of.

Light and very good fun for chilling out with a camera. I would reccommend you get a hotshoe one and jam a flash in it, this allows you to shoot an a much wider range of conditions and get some really cool effects.

Film choice is very important and it might not be a bad idea to take advice on this if you are a digital kid.

Simon-E

Olympus Trip (or any number of unwanted film cameras lying in attics and cupboards across the land) would do the same thing but are not as ‘cool’. Or try a pinhole for something genuinely different.

DIY black and white could be fun if you have a darkroom setup or scanner but shelling out £££ for colour dev & print when most of the pics are rubbish (and the others are ‘arty’) isn’t my idea of a productive use of my time or money.

I’m not saying the idea is without merit but why the necessity for a toy camera? What’s wrong with using an old SLR with a cheap, scratched 28mm lens? Use the exposure guide off the film box, “f/8 and be there”.

The people who produce interesting pictures with a Lomo can do good work with any camera. I’d suggest digiphotoneil’s two examples work because of the subject and/or composition rather than his choice of hardware.

Film choice is very important and it might not be a bad idea to take advice on this if you are a digital kid.

No, surely that’s part of the experience?

Joe

Complete rubbish. No idea why they sell so many…tonnes of good cheap lens and slr cameras out there.

donsimon
    Free Member

Complete rubbish.

Isn’t that part of the charm though?

Xylene
    Free Member

lomography is a cult.

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Its not about being cheap, the film can cost a bomb. Dev and scan yet more. It doesn’t compare to using an SLR camera, you could make one work like a Holga if you really tried and you can hack holga lenses to mount on a DSLR.

However I find it fun and a good exercise in “not taking it seriously” plus having a obviously toy camera can be an advantage in some situations. I get a lot more curiousity about the toy camera than I do about any DSLR!

Fundamentally, you still have to put a decent subject in front of the camera to make a good picture. <duh?>

Simon-E

Fundamentally, you still have to put a decent subject in front of the camera to make a good picture.

Yeah, but lots of people don’t – they use the camera’s foibles as the reason for the photo. As I said already further up the page, the people who produce interesting pictures with a Lomo can do good work with any camera.

Digital cameras and mobile phones are suitable for “not taking it seriously” (98% of what’s on Flickr), you don’t need a scans from a poorly made film camera with a duff lens and light leaks to do that. I’m not saying anyone shouldn’t experiment or even do good work with one, but using a Holga does not make someone an artist.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lomo/Holga cameras.’ is closed to new replies.