Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • LOL
  • vermillion
    Free Member

I’m a bit bored at work so I thought I’d start a discussion on the over use of the abbreviation LOL.
    I find this really naff and annoying especially when a person writes it after something that is,at best,slightly amusing.
    I just know that the person typing it isn’t actually lolling,,if they are,they’re only lolling because they know I hate the acronym.
    Does anyone else feel the same way or am I just showing my age?

scaredypants

😆

aracer
    Free Member

I have no idea what you’re on about.

Lots of love, aracer.

rewski
    Free Member

I agree, it’s a bit like when people describe colours by other names, when the proper name is more than adequate… oops SOZ! 😉

vermillion
    Free Member

I’m expecting most people won’t even look at this thread due to its title..I wouldn’t..

Drac

au contraire

philconsequence
    Free Member

roflmao 😆

rewski
    Free Member

It’s a slow friday, snow flurries outside, I reckon it might be a four pager by mid-day.

vermillion
    Free Member

Rewski,my favourite Slipknot track doesn’t have another name,,,,Soz 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

LOL? WTF!

philconsequence
    Free Member

vermillion pt2 is better. medical FACT.

allthepies
    Free Member

vermillion
    Free Member

I’m actually laughing at that,,but not out loud

fasthaggis

DSMFMWTBS 🙂

Kryton57

Lol!

santacoops
    Free Member

INAP

samuri
    Free Member

It’s the sheer laziness that it’s produced that bothers me.

Everyone has a smart phone now. All the women in my family do anyway so when they text, they have absolutely no excuse for typing ‘u’ instead of you or ‘4’ instead of for. It’s pure laziness. In fact, it’s just pure stupidity. The phone probably complains every time they try and type ‘u’.

My mum, who someone in the phone shop convinced her that she needed an iphone, types things in her texts that she has no idea what they mean.
    She types LOL thinking it’s how people say goodbye by text because people text it to her so often.

fasthaggis

Now if you want some real Friday lol ,look up Danny Dyer’s latest film success. 🙂

OMG

rewski
    Free Member

ICIRQ

I’m Crying Inside Really Quitely

Love that chopper

davidjey
    Free Member

LOL (sorry, but I really am) at Samuri.

Reminds me of a story I read about somebody who had the same idea of the true meaning as David Cameron, resulting in the legendary text

“Your Nan just died LOL”

Coyote
    Free Member

LOL* at david jey.

*no really, I am. 😆

Cougar

It’s so overused (largely by halfwits who use it in lieu of a full stop) that “actual LOL” is creeping into the language.

rewski
    Free Member

I blame TTFN and SWALK

Mantastic
    Free Member

NORWICH

samuri
    Free Member

And we’re hovering fairly close to Facebook’s ‘like’ but no ‘unlike’ feature here.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd4SZ719a34[/video]

edlong
    Free Member

Isn’t it partly now that it’s used as a signifier of “only joking” as in “<something you might take offence at> LOL”?

allthepies
    Free Member

There is an unlike feature BTW.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences

LOL

😆

Edit, nice edit Mods.. (I’ll let the kids try to figure out what abbreviation I used there)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does it really annoy you that much? Wow!

I just see it as punctuation, there wasn’t an exclamation or question mark that indicated “I’m joking”, now there is. We even had two different ways of saying “the next bit of text is a list”, but no “this is supposed to be funny”.

People who “hashtag” everything though are a different matter.

jfletch
    Free Member

Isn’t LOL just a consequence of the devaluation of the exclamation mark?!!! You need some way of showing internation in text. LOL

aracer
    Free Member

there wasn’t an exclamation or question mark that indicated “I’m joking”

:)?

Cougar

You know, I don’t really mind emoticons and stuff like “LOL.” Whether the oft-touted 80% figure is accurate or not, a lot of communication is non-verbal and you lose that in text-based media.

For instance, face to face with a mate who’s taking the proverbial, going “you set of bastards” with a grin on my face has a whole different meaning to if I’m genuinely pissed off about it. You lose that in text, and emotey acronyms can help fill that gap.

brakes
    Free Member

lol lol lollage

brakes
    Free Member

I remember watching some youtube video commentaries of a guy playing an online computer game and recording his conversations with other players. he said the word ‘lol’ quite a lot which I thought was really sad. then I realised that I was watching recordings of people playing computer games… 😐

philconsequence
    Free Member

you utter set of bastards 😉 😀 :mrgreen:

and by set, i mean cougar myself.

lol

EDIT:

almost forgot…

do one, blocked.

Cougar

What abuse of privileges?

konabunny
    Free Member

Extra! Extra! Middle aged man in youth slang dislike shocker!

samuri
    Free Member

pull your trousers up!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

FWIW, IMHO, “LOL” just isn’t funny. ROFL FTW.

piemonster

Lol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘LOL’ is closed to new replies.