Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Loire Valley in September
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Thinking about next years holiday, we’re looking to book a Gite in the Loire Vally for a couple of weeks at the beginning of September.

Not too worried about it being baking hot, just wondered if we should expect a lot of rain at that time of year. Any experience or the weather at that time on year in that region (about 60miles south of Orleans)?

ta

Stoner
    Free Member

we often go out that way between September and November.

Sept/Oct is grape picking season and usually gets away with reasonable weather. Too much rain and not enough sun during these months makes for a poor vintage and its always a vineyard’s gamble to see how long to leave the grapes on the vine in the hope of some late season ripening before the rains and winds come in.

Its sounds like you wont be far from Le Blanc, nice town, good market, and the lakes in the Natural Park between Le Blanc and Chateauroux.

If you’re interested in wine and some day trips I recommend Saumur and Chinon which both have good Maison du vin for tasting etc. My favourite wines from the Loire though if you end up shopping for some are: Saumur Champigny, St Nicholas de Bourgueil, and my favourite of all is the Savennieres.

Methode Traditionelle (fizzy wine like Champagne, but older and better) is a big thing in Saumur and the main producers have open houses for tastings etc.

Enjoy your trip.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My sister lives just down the road a bit in the Creuse. September is a great month. Stratobiker is down that way if you need an excellent mtb guide.

peteimpreza

I can second Stoner’s suggestions for Saumur and Chinon. In Saumur I would suggest Gratien & Meyer for the fizz, make sure you try the Cardinal. Between the two on the south bank are the mushroom caves. Also well worth a visit.

jon1973
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

We did the Ardeche this year and the Dordogne last year, so we wanted to explore somewhere new. It does sound nice in the Loire, and not so much driving. I think we’ll go ahead and book.

Not sure I’ll get away with taking the bike though 😕

ahwiles
    Free Member

what did you make of the Ardeche? – biking wise (mostly)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Loire Valley in September’ is closed to new replies.