Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • LogMeIn alternatives?
  • wwaswas

Just had an email saying

“We’re stopping the free logmein service as of, errrm, now.”

So, what free/cheap web based RDP type services do people use for occasional remote access to other pc’s?

somouk
    Free Member

We use Teamviewer commercially at work and I also use it at home.

Works really well and I’ve never not been able to login. Home use is free.

Jamie
    Free Member

“We’re stopping the free logmein service as of, errrm, now.”

Really?

*checks emails*

hammyuk
    Free Member

Using that right now – haven’t heard a thing from them

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Our MacGuy uses TeamViewer anytime we need something sorted. He seems to like it. (I wouldn’t have a clue, myself though.)

wwaswas

http://blog.logmein.com/it-management/logmein-changes

After ten years, LogMeIn’s free remote access product, LogMeIn Free, is going away. Starting in January, we will be unifying our portfolio of free and premium remote access products into a single offering. This product will be a paid-only offering…

Posted 21st January…

dawson

I just came on to ask the same question – if you log in to Log Me in Free – there is a message saying it is ending

sharkbait
    Free Member

I use Teamviewer here and also started using Chrome Remote Desktop which is completely free and, frankly, rocks!

Cougar

Oh, that’s an arse.

There are others though. TeamViewer, GoToAssist / GoToMyPC. I use TV mostly these days.

Jamie
    Free Member

After ten years, LogMeIn’s free remote access product, LogMeIn Free, is going away. Starting in January, we will be unifying our portfolio of free and premium remote access products into a single offering. This product will be a paid-only offering…

Ah well. Looks like I will be removing Logmein then. Only had it installed to remotely sort my Dad’s macbook, so not worth paying for a sub.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Already moved away from LogMeIn to Chrome Remote Desktop.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

http://www.ammyy.com is pretty good

lodious
    Free Member

We use Teamviewer at work, and it’s one of the few bits of software which always works, and has some really nice features, all which are easy to use (like the ability to run it on a memory stick without installing it).

bigyinn
    Free Member

God bless STW. I had the same e-mail today and was pondering posting on here asking for a recommended alternative.
    Team Viewer it is.

Speeder

Jamie – Member
    Only had it installed to remotely sort my Dad’s macbook, so not worth paying for a sub.

+1 – I only use it to help try and sort my Gran’s many OAP/IT interface issues. They can do one if they think I’d pay for it on anything but a PAYG basis.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Much the same here which is why Chrome RD is good. Free and cross platform.

glenh
    Free Member

Why not just use mstsc/vnc that is already on your computer and costs nothing to use?

wwaswas

It’s a lot easier to say to someone ‘go to this website and install this bit of code’ than trying to talk them through opening up their pc via Windows control panel.

brassneck

TeamViewer. Very impressed with that.

Why not just use mstsc/vnc that is already on your computer and costs nothing to use?

Depends if your target is obscured somehow (proxy, NAT, whatever) plus what wwaswas said.

cf
    Free Member

Does TeamViewer need to have the software installed on both machines?

I liked logmein as I could control my machine from any other machine through the web browser.

clubber
    Free Member

Chrome remote for me – works from my chromebook which means I can remote to either of my W7 media computers.

clubber
    Free Member

Teamviewer works on android too though FWIW. Saved me some trouble while I was in the US and had some problems on the computer at home which I managed to sort via my tablet.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve been using [a spammy link, presumably] for 2 years now. I can access all my computers and servers, as well as those of my customers from PCs, Macs, and iOS for a very low monthly price. I don’t mind paying for a high-quality, professional service. We migrated from LOGMEOFF because by paying nothing you are guaranteed nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the forum, Louis.

Edit: Dammit, mods! Delete this post please 😀

Liftman

Splashtop, has a free and subs version

friedrichzimmer
    Free Member

Logmeoff lol
    Thanks for the sugestions! What about BeAnywhere. I found their website in a google search. So far looks like a keeper. And i’m getting kind of tired of looking and even talking about this…

cranberry
    Free Member

Interesting first post Friedrich.

https://plus.google.com/102009581338779849052/posts

Cougar

I found their website in a google search.

Next time you come on a forum telling lies, you might want to do it from somewhere other than the company whose products you’re promoting.

wwaswas

I like your style Cougar 🙂

SnS
    Free Member

Got the same email
    Mines primarily used for the in laws PC ….which I’ve now just migrated to teamviewer ( actually, so far, it seems better than logmein).

….sceptic thought ……..
    Teamviewer execs sat thinking …..
    Hmmmmm, nice one ! …….let’s get the dispossessed logmein users on our books & we’ll also start charging. Mwahahaha !

dh
    Free Member

its a pain in the arse that innit. i suppose to be fair to them they must look at the numbers of folk running free and never upgrading and just think we’ll f’em.

think i’d do the same tbh. 😉

some alternatives mostly mentioned above here

alternatives

leffeboy

I like TeamViewer a lot and splashtop is looking good as well. I used to use LogMeIn for some private stuff helping some friends who run NGOs but the TeamViewer free licence explicitly prohibits that. SpashTop is 60$ a year which seems reasonable so I may end up there for the private stuff.

cranberry
    Free Member

Spam reported.

Stoner
    Free Member

Oi, Cougar, there’s another one! 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘LogMeIn alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.