Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • log woood coal burner
  • carlnickson
    Free Member

I have my chimney (flue)swept every year. I have a flue fitted and a plate. i run a temp guage on both flue and log burner. i burn both wood and smokless coal. does anybody have any knowlege on how long i should keep it in for before letting it go out for the night. its been in now for 4 days and the chimney brest upstairs is getting warm but not hot.
    does anybody do the same as me. I was going to let it go out tonite for 8 hours as i heard that brickwork takes 6 hrs to cool down. Or do you think i am being over cautious as my wife does? im not new to this ive had it for 4 years now.
    carl nickson sandbach.

konadad
    Free Member

hi carl. during the winter i keep my multifuel stove ticking overnight with coal no problem. the heat from the fire warms up the chimney breast in my daughters bedroom and then up into the attic for my sons room. bit of background heat to take away any chill st night. i burn both wood and coal(not at same time as this causes problems) ive had the stove in for 25 years now and only sweep the chimney every couple of years. never had a problem

carlnickson
    Free Member

Ok Thanks, The question Im trying to ask is how long do people keep it lit for before letting it go out for the night?

taka
    Free Member

We’ve got a open fire at work (coal yard) that hasn’t been out for 5 weeks now it just gets stoked up at night and left till the morning

carlnickson
    Free Member

wow 5 weeks ? thats amazing. maybe i will stop worrying and keep it in a few more nights then.

matt_outandabout

We used to keep the woodburner going (on very low) permanently in winter – literally would only go out if we were away or for some reason did not return home from work until late.

taka
    Free Member

Yeh it never goes out we burn coal throughout the day and bang some homefire ovals on at night to just keep it going until 5ish when we turn up

carlnickson
    Free Member

ovals are great but abit expensive so i mix them in with a cheaper verion of smokeless peat. (union) blocks.

taka
    Free Member

Yeh the about £20 a hundredweight lots of people mix them with smokeless fuels such as excel or ovoids but they burn too hot for the ovals meaning you loose the benefit of the long lasting

carlnickson
    Free Member

I pay £17 for 50 kg of ovals then £14 for 50 kg of the cheaper version. averages out at £15.50p per 50 kgs mix tipped into my bunker but thats is the summer rate from a company called town and country in Congleton cheshire. sometimes they throw in the odd net of silver birch for free and a calander every year without fail.
    Then i scrounge and gather what ever wood i can find throughtout the year except for conifer!

geoffj

except for conifer!

Nowt wrong with some nice dry conny. Great for getting the stove up to heat before you put some hardwood on.

carlnickson
    Free Member

maybe not if its free but it always seems tacky to me. i think that may create tar in my flue?

Mugboo

Is there something wrong with having a few smokeless coals on with wood burning on top? U find it helps keep the thing going if I take my eye of the ball..

geoffj

maybe not if its free but it always seems tacky to me. i think that may create tar in my flue?

Not if its seasoned – and it doesn’t take long if you cut and split it small enough.

konajim
    Free Member

If you keep it in at low all night remember to Give it a full blast in the morning to burn off the residue that will build up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The instruction manual for our Morso stoves says you can use coal and wood together. Appears to be the most efficient way of running it too.

carlnickson
    Free Member

ok thanks.

konadad
    Free Member

Mugboo – Member

Is there something wrong with having a few smokeless coals on with wood burning on top? U find it helps keep the thing going if I take my eye of the ball..

yeh i often do the same but something about wood and coal fumes that can cause corrosion problems. maybe the case with non smokeless fuels i imagine. i never worry too much as long as we are warm

i often chop down conifers when doing gardening jobs. it all burns

carlnickson
    Free Member

i always put a log on my coal and keep puting one on but never put too much on because it needs to breath with coal burning in my view.

timber

Parents have a solid fuel cooker providing hot water and heat too, stays lit for half the year on coal and wood.
    Conifer is good to burn, lots of heat can be gained quickly, slow burning green conifer will cause tarring, but burnt quick it gets the heat up to warm the flue and burn anything else.

giantx4
    Free Member

Yeah,running ours 24 7 atm…only run it down so can empty ash tray (clearview vision 500)… seem to have run outv wood,so using coal…but nearly 10 quid a bag!…

Mugboo

Cheers chaps, I’ll carry on then 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

how long do people keep it lit for before letting it go out for the night?

Well, the woman selling stoves in a store said she uses hers constantly, October thru April.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘log woood coal burner’ is closed to new replies.