Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Log Store Advice
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I have moved house and arr finally looking for a log store, to replace the dilapidated she’d we were given by the previous owners.

I need a shed that isn’t no more than 130cm wide and max 170cm tall. Do the Singletrack wood store aficionados have any advice? I was thinking of an open fronted one. If it makes a difference, we are going to try and situate it so it faces south and gets the sun on it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sun is irrelevant, ye want it facing away from prevailing rain.

jam-bo

^^^

most of our rain comes from the SW. our face north, tucked in behind a hedge. slatted back & sides for plenty of airflow though.

kormoran
    Free Member

^^^^ all this, don’t worry too much about sun, airflow and shelter from driven rain is what you need. My north facing store is quicker to season wood than my south facing as it has much more airflow.

My stores are roofed in tiles that are the same style as my house, all pretty cheap from keyline type places. Actual frame is 100mm posts and cls rails. 150mm side slats

dantsw13

Have a google – loads of designs for diy logsheds. Make it far bigger than you think!!

timber

Airflow with a roof on top. Get it off the floor too, pallet is sufficient
    I have a tarp covering the front of mine through winter as the prevailing weather hits the stack as there was nowhere else practical to put it without blocking off the front door. Mine is just made from waste wood leftover from a saw milling day.
    The green mesh you see on poly tunnels is pretty good at keeping the wet off too whilst maintaining airflow.

Some of the other firewood sellers around here use heras fencing with a tarp over the top and prevailing edge to good effect.

whitestone
    Free Member

I made ours from some 100×50 timber that had previously been false rafters in our bedroom. Dug away top soil, put in some hardcore and levelled four pads, put a 150mm concrete block on each pad as a footer and to keep the wood frame up out of the damp. The frame itself is roughly 2000x1500x1000 and can fit two full loads from the local tree surgeons, roughly a tonne a load. Slatted floor and sides, roof was some spare board covered with roofing felt. I was going to bolt it to the house wall but it’s heavy enough that it doesn’t move.

The store is in two halves, order a new load when one half is empty so that the new delivery has time to dry.

I think the whole lot cost about £30 and a day or two’s work.

Davesport

Make sure you have a good overhang on the roof. Sides, back, front.

bren2709

Don’t store your splitting axe at height!!
    I learned the hard way, resulting in a severed EHL tendon 😯

orangeboy
    Free Member

I spent about £35 inc the decking screws I used building ours it’s about 1.8 high and 1.5m wide 1m deep as that’s what fitted the space I had.

I could do with somthing bigger but that’s all the room I had spare.

Used feather edge board for the roof and sides

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Log Store Advice’ is closed to new replies.