Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Log splitters.
  • Ambrose

A few of the reviews that I have read mention that the ram mechanism seems to be a very similar component across many of the models available from different manufacturers in the 1.5kW, 4ton bracket.

What do I need to look out for? It’s for domestic use with foraged firewood, cut to approx 25- 35 cm lengths by myself.

johndoh
    Free Member

How much are you chopping if it’s just foraged? Wouldn’t you be better off just buying a decent 6lb splitting maul? Makes very short work of most stuff, even for a 11st weed like me.

Ambrose

I’m about to ‘inherit’ a 40′ pine. The thought of mauling through it fills me with dread. The amount of wood it contains easily makes it worth buying a splitter.

Alphabet

I sold my log splitter after buying a Fiskars splitting axe. I found it much quicker and easier.

Drac

Pine splits easily. You can do a 40’ one within a couple days of with a maul. Save your money.

nedrapier

I asked about these a little while ago.

I didn’t get one!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/small-hydraulic-wood-splitters

Edukator
    Free Member

The one I have works well, I expect all the similar ones do too. It’s rated 5T, I suspect he only difference is the point at which the safety valve releases so you may as well buy 5T rather than 4T.

I used to be happy with a maul but carpal tunnel syndrone, painful shoulder tendons and trigger finger mean I now prefer the splitter. Using the maul no doubt contributed to those problems. Look after your body and get a splitter, your older self will thank you.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Hire one for a weekend ?

jezzep

I use one of these

http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/smart-splitter-log-splitter.html

Works very well and saves back injuries 😉

JeZ

dashed
    Free Member

As I posted in the other thread, I’m a total convert. I felt like I sold my soul when I bought it, as I was all for the manly maul option. Since I bought it, I honestly haven’t picked up the maul once!

That said, I do split quite a bit of random hardwood, the sort of stuff that doesn’t split easily. If I had a load of 8″ ash then I’d probably use the maul, which is definitely quicker for easy to split stuff.

globalti
    Free Member

Ambrose in one year’s time:

“For sale: one lightly used log splitter. Cluttering up my garage so must go.”

As others have said, a mawl is the answer. Absolutely devastating if used correctly and a joy to use too.

jimjam
    Free Member

Avoid mauls, get a splitting axe. Lighter faster and nicer to use.

tcomc1000
    Free Member

I too require a log splitter. what are the best recommendations for a splitter or axe that would be used a couple of times a week for splitting dried hardwood?
    Cheers in advance

M

nedrapier

Fiskars X27

teasel
    Free Member

Another shout for the X27 – very lightweight, good head design and a joy to swing.

Only a recent purchase for me after many years with a heavy maul. Every time I read reviews of decent mauls the Fiskars would pop up with lots of folk claiming it’s the mutts.

It is. And a snip from FFX…

jimjam
    Free Member

nedrapier

Fiskars X27

I would suggest this as an alternative. Similar money, but better performance and ergonomics imo. Personal preference but I found the Fiskars to be poorly balanced and I dislike the plastic handle.

I turned all of this (about 9 large cypress / pine)

Into all of this with mine.

…and loads more besides obviously. It gets used constantly. Great tool.

teasel
    Free Member

poorly balanced

I’m quite fussy and have no issue with mine.

nedrapier

Whatever you get, it’ll be a lot easier, faster, and less tiring and put less shock through your body when it’s sharp, so get a diamond file or sharpening stone for it if you don’t have something already, and keep an eye on the edge.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I’ve got a maul, it’s excellent.

I’d get a maul, a splitter looks like being £130, a maul is £20. Stuff a load of logs into a used car tyre and go at them, the tyre stops them flying around and you can do a good load within minutes, def faster than a splitter. Doesn’t require much strength or stamina, and a used tyre is normally free from any garage.

johndoh
    Free Member

This is the maul I got. Even a swing at 50% effort splits the main trunk of a 30ft sycamore we recently felled with ease. And my father in law has a splitter too – but the effort required to dismantle, bring up to my house, put back together, use, dismantle, take back to his wouldn’t be worth the effort – by the time I had driven the 5 miles to his house, collected and brought back I reckon I will have finished chopping by hand anyway.

The only reason I’d consider a splitter would be if I, like my father in law, had a huge garden with multiple trees (he cuts down two or three a year) and get significant use out of it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

If I recall correctly Ambrose has a bad back, so t splitter may be the way to go. Myself I find the axe/maul good core exercise and my back likes it.

X17, X27 and Stihl 8lb pro cleaving hammer are my tools. Split 30m3 of mixed Arb waste in last 2 years. A small splitter would have dealt with the smaller and easier stuff but slower than the axes, and the twisted grain, gnarly assed pieces of 30″ ash (ash is NOT always easy splitting) would have needed a much much bigger splitter that works vertically. I’ve learnt a lot on how to swing a maul to defeat these…. But still noodle some

djambo
    Free Member

I recently had an oak tree taken down. I borrowed my Dad’s electric splitter and a very old blunt axe. I ended up splitting most of the wood with the axe as it was so much quicker plus the splitter is a pain to use on your own.

The splitter was handy for a few knotty bits the axe wouldn’t get through. However if I was doing it again I’d just use the axe.

I know need a chainsaw for all the knotty bits neither the axe of the splitter would get through…!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Noodle those bits

djambo
    Free Member

Noodle those bits

???

neilnevill
    Free Member

get the chainsaw, you will understand. its the term for cutting down the gain, the saw cuts long noodles instead of chips

teasel
    Free Member

Which makes great tinder.

djambo
    Free Member

get the chainsaw, you will understand. its the term for cutting down the gain, the saw cuts long noodles instead of chips

Thanks. Any other tips (like how to not chop my leg off) greatly appreciated!

wavy27

I’ve had a wood stove for over 20 years and used various axes and mauls. Splitting wood is a very theraputic activity.
    Had a couple of elm trees taken down two years ago and found it was the very devil to split. By chance I inherited a 5 tonne hydraulic splitter and that has helped a lot. It still won’t touch some of the gnarlier bits, though. I had to reduce them down with a chainsaw first
    The type of wood and it’s moisture content is critical. Straight-grained softwood is fine with a splitter but some hardwoods are a different prospect.

nedrapier

eucalyptus! Arg.

redmex
    Free Member

I love my Fiskar axes so sharp you can sharpen even cheap nasty pencils or shave yourself but for splitting i love the grenades with a heavy long shafted hammer, two minimum, only 6£ each on Amazon just now and fast free delivery for us with prime

sharkbait
    Free Member

I inherited a 5 tonne hydraulic splitter and that has helped a lot. It still won’t touch some of the gnarlier bits, though. I had to reduce them down with a chainsaw first
    The type of wood and it’s moisture content is critical. Straight-grained softwood is fine with a splitter but some hardwoods are a different prospect.

[I know the OP is asking about small splitters but] 5 tonne is not that big – I bought a 20 tonne machine and what it doesn’t split it simply cuts straight through! Brilliant for the twisted, knotty stuff that comes in my big deliveries.

eucalyptus! Arg.

See above. I had a eucalyptus come down in the garden about 10 years ago and it’s impossible to split with an axe if it’s had any time to dry out – even my tractor mounted screw splitter couldn’t do anything to it.
    For fun I dug out one of the logs that I’d consigned to the ‘unusable’ stack (because I’d left it too long and it was too big to fit in the stoves) and chucked it on the splitter… went through it OK.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Eucalyptus varies greatly like all woods, the stuff I’ve had had been some of the easiest to split.

crankboy
    Free Member

I got a wedge from the garden centre it would appear to be either an Ames True Temper 2414200 4-Pound Torpedo Wedge or good knock off . For splinting large logs with a sledge hammer it is disappointingly efficient the job is over before you have warmed up.

johndoh
    Free Member

impossible to split with an axe if it’s had any time to dry out

If I ever needed a reminder I must split mine this weekend before it has time to start drying out.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Maul and ‘Wood Grenade’ gets through almost anything.

giantalkali
    Free Member

The problem with that is you have to lift a heavy log 3′ up in the air.

organic355
    Free Member

The problem with that is you have to lift a heavy log 3′ up in the air.

have you ever used a log splitter? try bending over one for a good few hours splitting logs, the raised ones are much easier on the back.

giantalkali
    Free Member

organic355 – Member
    have you ever used a log splitter? try bending over one for a good few hours splitting logs, the raised ones are much easier on the back.

I haven’t, but it does still require lifting a hefty log to at least waist height. The benefit of that axe / maul is that the log remains low. It does require some skill though it doesn’t take long to get quite adept at splitting with a maul.

The OP has a 40′ tree in 1′ pieces, is that right? That’s an hour or so with a maul, it’ll take longer to stack everything.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They have their place, and are good in certain circumstances. A bungee cord round a big log disc means you can split and rotate, lots quicker than picking up and reloading.

Also, if I spend a couple of hours with the mail, my tennis elbow gives me bother for ages after.

I currently have a load of cherry, been needing sit since last winter, neither the splitter or the mail will look at it, needs the big sledge and brass grenade to get it split.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Log splitters.’ is closed to new replies.