Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Log Cabins – Dunster House?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

We’re looking to build a log cabin in the garden, approx 20’x14′ to house a gym and office.

Will be insulated and will also be under 2.5m for planning ease.

Are Dunster House the place to go?

We’re in York, the only local place we can come up with is Tiger sheds in Leeds but they’re not that helpful and we’re not sure about quality.

Please don’t say self build, I aren’t anywhere near skilled enough for that mallarkey!

manderson
    Free Member

*bump* as ive been looking at them as well. Will prob make a trip to Scunthorpe to have a look in their showroom but 45mm thick walls seems pretty solid and it looks like it’ll be easy enough to put it up myself rather than paying th £1200 installation costs. Would be really interested to hear from anyone who has used them…

proutster
    Free Member

I’ve got a “custom” one from Tiger log cabins and I’m very impressed.

Admittedly they could have been a little more communicative but the cabin is just what I wanted and was easy to build.

Here’s mine:

dave32
    Free Member

We’ve got one from Waltons, really impressed with it, was easy for the carpenter to put up 🙂 with my expert help of course…next door neighbours have one from Dunster and can’t knock it been up for 5 years and no leaks etc..all companies charge a fortune to erect them tho so I would say use a carpenter or builder if you know one

sam_underhill

I have one of the Tiger ones. As a shell it’s great. I used an adjustable foot based system for the base with some timbers from the local merchant to make a solid sub-base.
    Then used some iko felt shingles on the roof to make it look more cabin like.
    Overall I’m very happy with the quality of the cabin. Apart from the door & window frames and the reoof perlins, I was able to construct it on my own.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

This is our Dunster cabin / shed, built 4 / 5 years ago, something like that.

I went for the 40ish mm thick timbers and it’s extremely solid. If I was using it as an office I would want the insulated version. They used to do an insulated option with double skinned wood and insulation board inbetween.

The timber was supplied untreated to the kerbside. Consider this if you have to move everything to the construction site and also allow plenty of time to treat each timber. I gave every piece two coats of wood preservative which took ages but was worth the effort.
    This takes a lot of time and space. For my smallish shed I filled the garage with stacked timbers whilst they dried between coats.

Construction is fairly straight forward but you need two people to position the timbers, particularly the roof supports. A large rubber mallet each for knocking the timbers together, they are double tongue and grooved (if that makes sense) and a good snug fit.

The only element that has “settled” are the window surrounds.
    They developed a hair line gap at the top which is easily sealed, so a minor issue.

If I was buying another one I would have no hesitation using Dunster again.

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 Dunsters over the past 5 years. Pleased with service, instructions could be a bit better. Quality is fine for the money I’ve needed to do the odd modification to the supplied parts. All in all I am pretty happy with them.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Dunster are local to me, my friend had a summerhouse from them last year. Looks great and quality was good.

BlobOnAStick

+1 Dunster House and what PeterStarkiss said.

Except I only painted the timbers I wouldn’t be able to get to once the shed was up (I think the instructions said to paint it once it was assembled, not before, but I ain’t gonna get hung up about it)

I thought that I’d be able to buy things like felt tiles/insultation etc etc cheaper from local suppliers. I was wrong and not only that, getting things like 8×4 sheets of plywood/kingspan from the suppliers to my garden was a royal PITA) so if you’re going to insulate etc I’d buy it as a job lot and have the one delivery.

Blobster

BlobOnAStick

Oops!

zinaru
    Free Member

i looked at a dunster as an office out in my garden as my business is home based. i decided against it due to security issues (part of our garden is open to a quiet road). too nervous with all my mac work stuff. they are smart but i they quite pricey as well i though.

I’m now looking at converting lorry container which seems to be secure, bigger and cheaper if slightly more ‘brutal’ on the eye.

tonyg2003

I’m sitting in my Dunster house home office (Alexander). Very warm, comfy, seems to be really well built.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I built this one from dunster https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/premiumplus-lantera-grande-w7-5m-x-d3-5m

with 2 extra windows and fully insulated and a partition wall for a shower room for my old boss gotta say for the money its a bargain after pricing all the timber up and materials it was a lot cheaper to order a dunster house over building your own from scratch. bloody well made as well

mrjmt
    Free Member

Great, we’re off to Scunny this saturday to have a look around at Dunster.

ta.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Mine’s been up five years, it’s been fine. Double-skinned, insulated, cosy 🙂

ayupwesty
    Free Member

Hi just built up a Dunster House 4m x 3m with 45mm thick walls two weekends ago.

I’m very impressed with the build quality and would recommend one, using as a gym so went for the thickest floor but not insulated.

cheers

footflaps

I was wrong and not only that, getting things like 8×4 sheets of plywood/kingspan from the suppliers to my garden was a royal PITA) so if you’re going to insulate etc I’d buy it as a job lot and have the one delivery

Building Supplies Online etc will deliver and drop off using a forklift so can go up your drive etc if it’s flat.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Log Cabins – Dunster House?’ is closed to new replies.