Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Log cabin as a work space
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

We are looking at putting a log cabin where we currently have a shed. the new cabin will be used as a work space for massage’s. It will have electric, probably electric heating, insulation an plasterboard / plaster. Will also have water and a toilet. I can do all the plumbing myself and its not to far from existing drains. Anybody done similar and care to share approx. costs, photos and or general advice. Especially source of log cabin type building.

matt_outandabout

Depends what you class as a ‘log cabin’… 😉
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/3DUh8a]100_4283.jpg[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/afqFrg]Woodland information centre.[/url] by tomline43, on Flickr

MoreCashThanDash

*waits for McMoonter to arrive*

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigsurfer
    Free Member

Matt, that looks amazing. We are looking for a cheaper option to a solid block build building, I am not expecting it to last for 100 years. A lot of the log cabins at £2000 ish look like they are actually made of very thin soft timber. I am only currently starting my looking.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have seen Mcmoonters creations and have copied several of his wood pile storage solutions. I am capable of building it from scrap but this would take a long time, the end goal is a usable building for Mrs bigsurfer not really another project for me.

brassneck

Interested too, as an insulated office space, might need somewhere at home shortly..

footflaps

Will also have water and a toilet.

In which case it will need Planning Permission as a house, which you probably won’t get. IIRC the addition of a TV aerial and / or sewerage turn a shed / workshop into an abode, which means PP is much more difficult….

bigsurfer
    Free Member

PP might not be a problem, I think the president has already been set in our road. It could be built as an extension to our house but this would cost considerably more money. I am not completely against the idea of ignoring planning permission.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

IIRC the addition of a TV aerial and / or sewerage turn a shed / workshop into an abode, which means PP is much more difficult….

Do you know off the top of your head if this applies just to the water? I’m not talking a tap on an extension hose, more like something with connected drains.

footflaps

Do you know off the top of your head if this applies just to the water?

No, water & electric are fine.

I am not completely against the idea of ignoring planning permission.

Until a neighbour complains and you get ordered to demolish it…

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Please can we ignore the planning permission issue and just focus on the cabin aspect, a toilet may not be essential.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Thanks footflaps

oldejeans
    Free Member

Dunster house cabin w/insulated floor and ceiling. It’s taken me 5 weeks to build with partial weekends and evenings. No prior experience.

power/workbench/shelves/futon/steps/decking/new lawn/ to still to come

lesgrandepotato

Don’t forget the Pampas grass and the bowl.

zinaru
    Free Member

im desperate to get a garden office sorted out. working in the house is getting me down. i looked at dunster houses but I’m not leaning more towards an old refitted lorry container. cheaper and more secure i reckon.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We got one of these

http://www.timber-cabins.co.uk/acatalog/The-Panthera-TF-Cabin.html#.VbIqjE3bJaQ

Went for the 70mm thick timber and used Eco-Slates for the roof.

Very happy with it

tonyg2003

I’ve got a Dunster house office (not cabin) and they were good and the cabin seems well made

BlobOnAStick

Careful when you insulate/line it out, I have been quite surprised at the amount wood expands/contracts as the season change. Some cabins are sold with wall insulation as standard and iirc the ‘internal walls’ float free of the external ones.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

*waits for McMoonter to arrive*

Better late than never.

It should be possible to build something from scratch that best suits your needs and to build it for much less than an off the shelf cabin.

I can’t remember what my studio cost, somewhere between £2-3000. about a third of that was for the stove and flue.

http://www.petermclarenfineart.com/Blog/Studio-Build-Blog

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Log cabin as a work space’ is closed to new replies.