Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Log burning stove- ideas
  • hora
    Free Member

I thought Whalley range was technically ‘Chorlton borders’? I bet alot of people in Whalley put their address as Chorlton!

Chorlton West???

Ah yes. mrchrispy, you’ve missed your calling to be an Estate Agent 😉

mrchrispy

🙂

you just have to ignore the massive welcome to trafford sign you pass on the way there

mrchrispy

I set aside 2k for our fire but I suspect I maybe more (we have a very tall house). Getting the roof done in October so I wanted to take advantage of the scaffolding

Bregante

I thought Chorlton Borders was Moss Side? Or do they just tell that to people who work for the BBC?

Hulme / Moss Side is generally sold to the Meeja Types as “Castlefield” 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like good reasoning , im having our chimney rebuilt in the spring as the coping slabs are a bit loose and the renders cracking so investigation and remedy are taking place.

Liners not terribly expensive compared to that so will probably get one dropped in at that point.

hora
    Free Member

Trafford sign?

These arent the Droids that you are looking for

So does this mean Urmston is East Stretford? 8)

mrchrispy

Naaaa more like East Urmston, I reckon you can now go all the way from Chorlton to Flixton without mentioning Stretford once 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

mr chimney sweep came round.

it turns out what ive got is a multi fuel burner on a slightly dodgy installation, the burner is set right back against the wall, the flue goes past a steel baffle with no access panel and into the existing chimney

Sweep removed the flue and cleaned the chimney, he considers the chimney in good condition, so give it a good burn and see what happens.

rough quote for a liner is £1k.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Whats dodgy about it ? Just a crappy stove without removable baffles more like.

soobalias
    Free Member

Dales_rider
    Free Member

This may give the answers to all your questions

hora
    Free Member

1k sweet child of Nazareth

ourmaninthenorth

Has anyone got a wood burner in a new build that doesn’t have a chimney?

Yep. Firebelly (made in Yorkshire, no less). Twin wall looks a bit industrial in our sitting room. Needed to have a bend in the flue to exit it near the apex of the roof.

I’ll do some pics some time.

Lit it this evening for the second time this autumn. Toasty!

Dickyboy

these guys are moving premises at the end of the year & should have some bargain stoves available from their old showroom in the run up to xmas 🙂

http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/Showroom_Stoves.html

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member
    We where quoted £1500 all in to have a log burner installed. That included the flu, hearth etc.

Quick Sit-rep.

They came round last night to measure up..

Their orgional £1500 has now doubled.. but £600 of that was for scaffolding.. 🙁

banks
    Free Member

Manchester based – Bill Taylor is all you need, fountain of stove knowledge and cheap too! Just keep him topped up with coffee.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Manchester based – Bill Taylor is all you need, fountain of stove knowledge and cheap too! Just keep him topped up with coffee.

Really?

Im in Northwich – not that far from Manchester.. you got any more details??

hora
    Free Member

Ditto

sharkbait
    Free Member

but £600 of that was for scaffolding

Scaffolding? Do you live in a normal house or a castle? My guy just used ladders. Happy to give you his number Teeto as he’s very good and fairly close (Tarporley) – BUT I think he now only fits Clearview stoves as he’s fed up with the hassle associated with other makes (apparently).

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Scaffolding? Do you live in a normal house or a castle?

Sadly, a pretty standard 1890’s Town house..But it has quite a high chimney stack

But yeah, email in addy..:)

richc
    Free Member

Scaffolding? Do you live in a normal house or a castle? My guy just used ladders. Happy to give you his Teeto as he’s very good and fairly close (Tarporley) – BUT I think he now only fits Clearview stoves as he’s fed up with the hassle associated with other makes (apparently).

They are supposed to use scaffolding although some people will just use a rope around the chimney

Not sure who is liable if they fall off and cripple themselves.

Is that a slate roof? If so you don’t want anyone walking on it unless they know what they are doing as slates break very easily.

bedmaker

Not heplful to the OP but here’s a gratuitous pic from yesterday afternoon.

Owner – We’ve been told the stove you put in for us is dangerous. The flue pipe is 40mm from wooden beam but should be at least 450mm. We’d like the beam replaced with slate please.

Plumber – I’m not a builder, that’s not my department.

Owner – But you put it there!

Plumber – Nothing to do with me.

Owner – Errr, OK.

Still, what’s the worst that could happen eh?

[/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

richc
    Free Member

that might be a little close…….

doesn’t it smoke when the wood burner gets going? as its going to be **** hot

bedmaker

It would be more than smoking if it was there much longer! Pyrolysis ahoy

banks
    Free Member

Think it’s Bury, not 100%, i’ll dig out a number. We’ve used him 3 times now, usually done in a day – full job too.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Anything wrong with this woodburner? Seems very cheap! Linky

RustyMac

futon river crossing – Member
    Anything wrong with this woodburner? Seems very cheap!

Interested to hear any reviews as my fiancé has just had a look and likes them, the one you link to is an 11kW one though which is a big wood burner!!!

geoffj

That stove looks ok to me. It meets the relevant eu regs – should be fine.
    Just need to check whether it needs a structural hearth – it’s no clear from th description, bu I’d guess you do.

sharkbait
    Free Member

That’s a ‘small’ flue for an 11kw stove. It doesn’t mention adjustable door hinges (important to help keep door sealed – especially as the door looks like its steel and could warp) or feet. I like the steel body construction but there will be a reason why they’re so cheap.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My living/dining room is 8×4.5m and is open to a pitched roof ceiling, so I think I’ll need a big one! I have a hearth with a large cast iron gas fire with a balanced flue, the existing flue comes out of the rear of the fire, through the wall. It would be nice to use this existing opening, alternatively I can take the flue straight up through the roof, as there isn’t an existing chimney. The gas fire is too expensive to run as we’re on LPG.

granny_ring

Run the flue inside and gain the extra heat from that, just use twin wall near the top where it goes into the roof.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Log burning stove- ideas’ is closed to new replies.