Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • log burner rough idea od costs and any recomended installers in cumbria
  • karnali
    Free Member

Toying with having a log burner fitted. House is a early 70’s semi that had no fireplace in it at all, the first buyer did not want one, all other houses in estate do but it does have a little bit of wall where it would have gone. Thinking about getting a log burner and then having the metal flu go up through ceiling and then up through the bedroom above eiterh in teh cupbaord witht eh boiler in or to the side of it, through loft and out of roof. Ceiling heigths are about 2m in both rroms and loft height is about 1.5m to the roof.

Any rough idea of cost for flu and installation and anyone know of a good installer in north cumbria. Struggling to find anyonet o give us a quote at present.

Will get a slab of local slate to stand it on and its an open plan lounge kitchen diner so was thinking about a 4-5 kw burner floor area is about 43 sq m.

cheers

granny_ring

A mate put a stove in his dorma bungalow and had no chimney.
    Had to use twin wall flu up from just below lounge ceiling all the way to the top. Pretty expensive stuff, think he paid nigh on a grand just for the flu and fixings. Not too bad to fit yourself as it clips together and obviously he saved loads with us fitting it.

I think there are guides for working out stove sizes and do a search on here as there was a recent thread on this.

If you go above 5kw stove you need to fit additional vent/airbrick.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Jotuls are great. One was in the house we bought pre installed. Pretty expensive as above, but just wanted to say – call me a boring sod but its my fav part of the house lol.

Theres nothing quite like a roaring fire this time of year without having to worry about an open fireplace. We have an open fireplace and a cast wood burner in our house, the open fireplace rarely gets used, but the woodburner is always on in the evening this time of year.

Seriously worth the money and they’re dead easy to look after, especially if you are having a straight chimney put in because they’re so cheap to clean.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

S/steel twin wall flue should be around 100 per metre for 150mm id, fixing brackets about 10 each.
    You’ll need to go at least 600mm above the roof line. Is look at the selkirk flue website for full list of kit needed. As for wood burners they’re as much as you want to spend about 400 for a valor 7 le, to over 1000 for something better looking.

boxelder

As above – it’s the cost of flue that’s scary.
    Builder’s/plumbers will fit. Sourcing wood is an issue too

karnali
    Free Member

Cargo trailer chainsaw nightride is that not the done thing 😉
    timber yard in village is ok source if costs of fitting is not prohibitive

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

You need to store cut logs for a lea[list]st 12 months in a dry store to season, otherwise tar deposits can build up, leading to chimney fires, so trips to the local forests need to be planned in advance.
    Installation should be done in a day, so costs shouldn’t be too high. It’s an easy job, just bricking up the hole for the flue, unless you can get your hands on a 225mm core bit( most hire shops should have one) . If your any good at DIY its defiantly worth doing to keep costs down.
    I’d go with 150mm flue as most fires use either 125mm or 150mm, and will work with a larger flue but not a smaller one.
    If it does go through a cupboard it would be worth putting a vent in as the flue can get very warm.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Sourcing wood isn’t difficult. At least not where we live – Within a 30 mile radius there are 5 independent suppliers who deliver pre cut dry fire wood and kindling to your doorstep, and they aren’t that expensive. Delivery is free too if you buy a seasons worth or more in one go :p

I wouldn’t recommend getting your own firewood, but make your own kindling. For what it is – a bag of it is pretty expensive and if you get through 4 or 5 bags of kindling in a season it costs a bit.

worth putting a vent in as the flue can get very warm.

This. I’d say it’s essential. They get VERY hot.

br
    Free Member

It’s not cheap going from scratch, we’ve just installed a stove in our lounge, without a chimney, hearth and having to keep 300mm for any combustable surfaces. Our flue cost more than the stove, and the stove’s a Stovax…

You need to consider how the hearth will work, and what’s its made of and then how to get the flue out safely plus how high above the tiles/slates.

And if they hadn’t ‘improved’ photobucket, I’d put a picture up…

jam-bo

I’ve just paid 750 for a 4kw log burner and about 1200 for the installation. Or at least I will in a couple of weeks when they come to do it.

mrsmigginspies
    Free Member

I’ve had log burner(s) for 11 years. 2 Dovre open fires and more recently a stovax huntingden 40.

The stovax is by far the most efficient fire we have. It kicks out about 9w at full pelt which heats a large room easily.

If you have cavity wall insulation you need wall vents (mandatory). You also need carbon monoxide alarms in each room with a fire.

You keep warm 3 times if you have log burners. Once collecting wood, second cutting it up and thirdly when you burn it!

TomB

Where are you Karnali- we’re using Fireplace Centre Maryport who are happy to come and quote (we’re in Portinscale). Bear in mind it’s probably the busiest time of year for this sort of thing. A builder/plumber will also fit, but it must meet building regs and going to an experienced firm means the building regs certification is more straight forward.

br
    Free Member

A builder/plumber will also fit, but it must meet building regs and going to an experienced firm means the building regs certification is more straight forward.

Agree with the approach, but haven’t bothered asking for a certificate.

karnali
    Free Member

In cockermouth will try the spot in mport cheers

br
    Free Member

Here’s ours:

And it sticks out about 2m with a Selkirk flue secured vis the ridgeline. About £5k all in.

karnali
    Free Member

looks good cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘log burner rough idea od costs and any recomended installers in cumbria’ is closed to new replies.