Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Loft renovation – stud wall question.
  • boxelder

Ceiling joists replaced. Any reason to put the ceiling (plasterboard) in before building up a stud wall, or build the stud work straight onto the joists, then ceiling. Ceiling first means less cutting of plasterboard. Stud first more secure fixing to joists?

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you know where the joists are then it wont make any difference.

Stoner
    Free Member

Stud first more secure fixing to joists?

not really, you fix the top rail of the stud across the ceiling joists, sandwiching the ceiling plasterboard between them. It’s perfectly sound.

Ive done it both ways and cant really say there’s any difference in ease of install or soundness of finish.

Certainly my plasterer has never complained of one way over the other.

cakefacesmallblock

Long time back, I used to work with my mate for his Dad’s dry lining business, we always did them that way.
    Any stud work which needed to return parallel to the joists , was fixed to noggins or trimmers though .

Stoner
    Free Member

Any stud work which needed to return parallel to the joists , was fixed to noggins or trimmers though .

Indeed. I think this is the most important point, if your stud is not perpendicular to the ceiling joists then you need to first install noggins to which you can attach the top rail. To do this, if you need to see the noggins to be accurate then you are going to do it before boarding. If you know where they are then of course you can do the top rail after the ceiling boards.

boxelder

Thanks – the joists are all exposed (just gone in). A little worried just how level they may be 😳 Old house and all a little bespoke.

chickenman

Noggings? They’re called Dwangs in this neck of the woods!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Loft renovation – stud wall question.’ is closed to new replies.