Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Loft conversions? Any experts / builders etc..
  • djglover
    Free Member

Anyone got a view on this at all?

I am looking to buy a house, but want to convert the loft as soon as I move in. The roof ridge is 2.6M from the ceiling joists and the roof is not trussed.

I’d probably need to put a steels in so I could hang a fair sized dormer off the back and I think that and floor joists etc could subtract too much from the available height..

Anyone done anything similar?

dlb1
    Free Member

Built a few. you have the height. Consider where your stairs will go, hip or gable roof,any others on the street?

djglover
    Free Member

Cheers dlb1, the stairs look straightforward on the plans, and it already has gable ends. I had a hip to gable loft conversion done in a previous house and this looks like it should be more straightforward, I was just a bit worried about the height. Ideally I will go back with a builder but i think I need to make an offer sharpish.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jim25

Loft converter here, head height you’ve got will be fine. You’ll generally lose about 300mm when you include the steel height and ceiling joist/insulation
    Will definitely need steels in it.

djglover
    Free Member

jim25 – thanks for that, 2.3 will give reasonable ceiling heigh in the conversion then I think, certainly more than building regs will require and without having to get full planning.

Cheers!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Currently having one done, dorma on the side and the back. The other on our road has a dorma on the back only. It looks out of place. I’d look at a few to get an idea of what your after.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Loft conversions? Any experts / builders etc..’ is closed to new replies.