Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lodgers. Rent-a-room Scheme. Talk to me.
  • alcol70
    Free Member

Anyone done it?

Thinking of getting a lodger on the Rent A Room scheme. I like the sound of earning £4250pa tax-free.

I don’t normally receive a tax return, so am I right in thinking as long as I don’t charge the lodger more than £4250pa… I don’t have do *anything?

(*other than check with my mortgage provider, insurer and tell the council tax people).

footflaps

No need to declare it, if you’re under the allowance. NB The reason they introduced the Rent A Room scheme was that it was that tax compliance was largely unenforceable as it was undetectable and widespread.

You will need a Gas Safe certificate for the house.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My 2p having rented (as a tennant) rooms before.

Either:
    a) Explicitly make it clear it’s a B&B/hotel type arrangement and it’s not their ‘home’
    b) Accept that as your flat/house mate it is also now their ‘home’ too and you are going to have to comprimise on noise, who buys the milk, mess, friends coming to visit, control of the TV remote, etc.

Either will work, but if you’re not clear at the start then there’ll be arguments.

And never get anyone you’re attracted too, it’s f***** creepy.

footflaps

We have quite a few Mon-Fri commuters who stay in a B&B / room share during the week and then go back home at the WE – best of both worlds as they’re at work all day, at home at the WE and only there for a few hours in the evenings.

alcol70
    Free Member

quite a few Mon-Fri commuters who stay in a B&B / room share during the week and then go back home at the WE

http://www.fivenights.com

Yeah, spotted that as a good option. I’m home so little, though, that it wouldn’t make much difference.

meehaja
    Free Member

we have 2 lodgers. its easy. they are tidier than us, work hard, keep themselves to themselves and pay rent on time. happy days.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lodgers. Rent-a-room Scheme. Talk to me.’ is closed to new replies.