Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • locking up commuter bikes
  • trumpton
    Free Member

Given the choice do you lock your bike somewhere quiet and secluded or somewhere very busy in an attempt to make it more secure. I tend to go for more secluded as I do not think a busy area deters thieves really.Plus I get a bit nervous locking it and unlocking it in very busy areas.

Any thoughts?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Outside a bank, or anywhere else which is busy, has people around and ideally has CCTV.

trumpton
    Free Member

thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Should also have added,
    Two locks. Frame and back wheel, and front wheel. Ideally different sorts. U and cable.
    Don’t hide it away where someone could ‘work’ on it unseen.
    Lock it next to a badly locked and/or more expensive bike. (Sorry, but true)

tomhoward

Lock it to something secure, not bothered about where with a big lock, and a cable lock for the front wheel ,that complies with my insurance policy’s stipulations.

/worries

kraken2345
    Free Member

I do the same as others, d lock through rear wheel and frame with a cable looping through the front wheel, forks and d lock. As a little extra touch I have a tiny extra kryptonite cable and padlock that loops between the seat rails and frame to avoid an uncomfortable ride home…

gnusmas

I park mine inside tesco next to the security guard, got to know them over the past few years and they have a space just right for it.

In town i usually lock it to a big metal fence running between the road and the pavement looped around 3-4 uprights. Either this or inside Argos as i know the manager.

trumpton
    Free Member

always worth giving the metal loop ones a good shake as sometimes there are loose ones.

Stoner
    Free Member

go ratbike.

looks like it would fall apart, but actually flies like the wind.

lunge

I’d go busy if I needed to. I’m very lucky in that we have secure parking inside the office building I work in, CCTV coverage and needs 2 access keys to get at, I still lock it up mind though plenty don’t.

trumpton
    Free Member

yeah, I use a ratbike with semi slicks, so I can still go offroad comfortably if the journey permits.

Using an old ratbike still didn’t stop a youth running alongside me the other day shouting ‘I want your bike’ though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

busy if i had to and new york D lock and a cable lock

Always used a rat bike [ dropped bar non sti shifters of ancient vintage] when i had to do this – Mine i just painted everything baby blue [ including rims and spokes!!!] to give it zero resale value and make it easy to spot. It was a high crime area though and it was never touched

brakes
    Free Member

mine is locked up in a cage in an underground car park which needs two different passes to gain access to.
    it has been broken into 4 times in the past year…

trumpton
    Free Member

thanks everyone.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Makes little difference. Theives are so brazen will go at something in a busy street. Last bike I lost was in Shepherds Market on a summers evening with loads of outside pavement diners

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘locking up commuter bikes’ is closed to new replies.