Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Locking bikes up in garage
  • kenburg
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m looking to install a couple of ground anchors/shackle points in our garage for locking our bikes to. The floor is concrete (unknown quality/thickness) and the walls are breeze block. Can anyone make a suggestion about the sort fixing points that they would recommend? I’m thinking one in the floor and one on the wall, but would welcome any guidance. And maybe what sort of lock or chain would work well with it?
    Cheers!

z1ppy

Torc ground anchor & almax (or Pragmasis) 19mm chain for me.. why would you skimp on cheaper kit, it’s a long term investment. See if you have 100mm of concrete underfoot as that’s bolt length on the ground anchor, position the g/a so under the bikes and not easily accessed (pried up with a crowbar). If you do buy a thick chain don’t skimp on the ground anchor, as my 19mm chain wouldn’t fit thru my old kryponite ground anchor

TiRed

I hang mine from hooks in the joists. Cables are lassooed around the joists rather then with bolts. Nothing on the ground. Cutting a joist would be hard work. Think up there not down on the ground, for security.

At least one person here had their Ti frame cut instead of the chain, nothing is perfect.

DT78
    Free Member

If you fit ground anchors make sure you blow the dust out of the hole you drilled or it might not be the right depth (I made this mistake)

kenburg
    Free Member

Those Torc anchors and chains look bombproof!
    No joists in garage sadly…

plus-one

Move stuff the size of your bikes into garage – Pop bikes into house 😀 Voila

superleggero
    Free Member

Also….review the garage door locks to make sure they’re up to the job and get a garage alarm. Think in terms of layers of security.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I drilled in the concrete and bolted solid hoops and but chains through them etc plus get a good alarm least that way you don’t give the buggers time to get at the locks etc if no alarm some have excellent kit that will cut through anything if they are given another time.

dirtyboy

Google cordless steel rebar cutters, you can slow them down but you won’t stop them. With the amount of vans being done over for tool’s more of these are in circulation.

tonyplym
    Free Member

I wonder if threading chain through a Kevlar or fabric sleeve would slow down an angle grinder attack (working in the same way that chainsaw jeans shred to clog an errant cut)?

drnosh
    Free Member

Up and over garage door.

Weakest point, can just be peeled open like a tin can.

Do you have a side or rear exit door?

You could secure the front door from the inside, then put a lockable steel mesh and frame over the outside of the side/rear door.

Alarmed?

backinireland
    Free Member

What tools are in the garage?
    Just thinking that the joist would be easy work for a chainsaw…….
    Have a look at this
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk

https://www.screwfix.com/p/squire-garage-defender/79478

Think about an alarm too

DiscJockey
    Free Member

In addition to all the big chains/anchors another tip is simply to make it difficult to remove the bikes in hurry. I hang my bikes from hooks bolted through the garage walls, but it’s a real squeeze to fit the tyres through the hooks and to remove requires letting the air out the tyres. I doubt that a thief will think of doing this and give up (btw, one of the massive Abus chains goes through the wheels/chainstays too).

As mentioned already, layers of security is good. I had a gang break through the roof a year ago after giving up trying to pry open the garage defender (recommended). They gave up on the bikes (for reasons I’ve mentioned possibly) and stole tools instead. They then returned a few weeks later, by which time I’d installed CCTV and a big security light pointing down on the garage. As captured on video, they started work on breaking through the roof again, but as soon as the security light comes on, they all scarper like scolded cats and haven’t been back since (my CCTV has motion detection). Other people have had their bikes stolen nearby, so the thieves are still about – I can only hope I’ve put them off trying my place again.

neilv
    Free Member

Kryptonite ground anchors (Wiggle), heavy duty chains, roller door and alarm linked to house alarm. They may well still get them but it will at least slow the, down.

ads678

One way secure an up and over door is to pile loads of shit in behind it. Obviously this is only useful if you don’t use it. I have a roof box and all my camping piled behind my door. Even if they could peel the door up they couldn’t get in.

I do keep meaning to get one of the alarms that has been posted on here a few times but I can’t remember what it is….anyone….

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Blank shotgun cartridge trip wire alarm, it’ll wake the dead and scare the living daylights out of the person that trips it.

My hearing may have taken 1/2 an hour to get back to normal after I forgot about my one.

hopefiendboy

Jings @diskjockey where do you live as that sounds like a nightmare!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Locking bikes up in garage’ is closed to new replies.