• This topic has 28 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Locked out of my Land Rover with the spare key inside. How do I get in?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Muppet of the day award is surely within my reach.

300tdi Discovery has somehow self locked with the key in the ignition and the spare by the gear lever.

I don’t want to break any glass to get in. Is there any way I can get in?

I’m not sure my AA policy covers such incompetence.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Check your policy. A good garage near a prison should be able to do it.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

The RAC guy put a balloon in the door and pumped it enough to get a hook in and then pulled the door lever when my car auto locked!

Hopefully your breakdown cover might help.

It happens.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Remove waste seal of opening window , fish actuator with a coat hanger.

Or remove the filler seal from the rear quarter panel window. This should let you push the glass in in one piece, lean in and get the back door open….

parkesie
    Free Member

Through one of the holes in the floor 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Or remove the filler seal from the rear quarter panel window. This should let you push the glass in in one piece, lean in and get the back door open

that’s what Id do if every I locked myself out of the fender. Same as disco. However, since I never lock the fender (there’s no point given how easy it is to break in!), I can never lock myself out 🙂

Cougar

Land Rover? Will a flat-blade screwdriver not open the lock?

mrhoppy

Put your hand through one of the rust holes/gaps between body panels/inset rude comment on build quality here.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I can’t help with your conundrum Mm but it must be Xmas as you’ve made us all feel a lot better about ourselves 🙂
    I do hope you find a way in though (presumably using a piece of wood)

#mcmoonterishumanafterall
    #heartwarming

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Called the AA, they are sending their man. Do they still salute?

bigyim
    Free Member

If you have any long nylon packing strips you can use those. The sort they wrap round large cardboard boxes.
    Fold it in half, slide it through the door gap, position the edge of the strip over the door pin or handle and push one strip to open up loop.
    Slide it over the handle or door pin and pull it up. Bit of a nack to it but it does work

sands
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member

Photo sent to your email

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sands, thanks for that.

bruneep

I can open door without breaking the glass

irc

I hate self locking cars. Happened to me once with a work vehicle. Luckily the Fiat Scudo piece of shit was already broken down at Harthill Services and the tow truck was on it’s way.

Why would anyone want self locking? Just like cars where one click only unlocks the driver’s door. Bad idea. I got my car reset at the last service so one click opens everything.

cdoc
    Free Member

Flaperon

I was going to laugh but then remembered the time I shut the boot of my Passat with the keys inside and the doors locked.

spooky_b329

AA will sort it, they’ve got me into my Transit twice!

Once when I got out and shut the door whilst the engine was running, and it locked itself. Luckily I’d had second thoughts and moved it half into a space as I was going to leave it in the middle of the street for a few moments.

Second time, I discovered that if you pick up keys for the wrong Transit, the blipper won’t work but the key will lock the doors!

Took about 10 minutes each time.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Result! Leaving the spare keys by the gear lever was a master stroke. The AA man levered the top of the door just enough to poke a flexible magnet through. Then like a fairground amusement game fished for the key and pulled it back through the gap.

Lesson learned though, I’ve taken the spare key down to the house now.

Thing is, I never knew the central locking or the immobiliser worked. Now I need to work out how to disarm both.

Thanks for the tips.

kcal

! good work!

I bought a car off a mate – it turns out it had some immobiliser fitted – after-market – to the Golf a Mk II). I don’t think he knew either. The activation was a simple toggle switch in the central dash pocket – I put something bulky in the pocket, and unknowingly activated the alarm. Cue complete nightmare as after 5 minutes, all the lights would start flashing once car was in motion.

RAC man was called, ripped out the electronics and all was well again..

iolo
    Free Member

The AA have a book on how to break into cars.
    I opened the boot of a works C max using the boot button on the key.
    I put my keys in my coat. Decided it was too hot, took my coat off and put it in the boot. Closed the bootlid.
    It locked. I was in Mwnt Beach, Pembrokeshire with no mobile signal and it was getting dark. I had to walk for miles to get a signal.
    AA came out and took the front fog lamp off the car. Did some voodoo magic to the cables with a box he had and the car opened. Apparently, most cars have a special way of opening like this

TheDTs
    Free Member

We had a customer collect some signs from us once, he had a load of stuff all piled up in his van, so I left him to sort it out and went back inside.

30 mins later, I had a call from the guys office, Could I go and open the van door as the guy was locked inside.
    He was visibly shaken, and not a happy bloke. He had been banging on the side of the van for most of the 30 mins!

rusty90
    Free Member

Reminds me of the Essex girl who locked her keys in the car. She rang the AA for help and they promised to come as soon as they could.
    “Please hurry” she said, “Its a convertible, I’ve left the top down and its started to rain”

CountZero

Cougar – Moderator
    Land Rover? Will a flat-blade screwdriver not open the lock?

I had a Mk1 Opel Manta ages ago, which had the door lock as a slide in the door trim, and I got into the habit of just flicking it along when I got out of the car and slamming the door. Then I did that one day when I took my jacket off with the keys in the pocket, chucked it onto the seat and shut the door, went for a wander around St Catherine’s Court, (Jane Seymour, actress old home), and came back to realise I couldn’t get back into the damned thing! Discovered that the key for a TR5 would open it, when the owner of one tried his key, then a bit of experimentation found the thin flat screwdriver blade on a Swiss Army knife would open it. Came in handy on more than one occasion, that.

iolo – Member
    The AA have a book on how to break into cars.
    I opened the boot of a works C max using the boot button on the key.
    I put my keys in my coat. Decided it was too hot, took my coat off and put it in the boot. Closed the bootlid.
    It locked. I was in Mwnt Beach, Pembrokeshire with no mobile signal and it was getting dark. I had to walk for miles to get a signal.

Another, similar occasion here; a bunch of us had gone for a photography road trip one December across to Llangorse, the Beacons, then back up to Gloucester. We parked the hire car by the side of a dual carriageway, because we wanted to try some long exposure light trail photos of traffic from a bridge.
    Got back to the car, coats into the boot, get into car. Who’s got the key? Who was driving last? Rick was. Where’s the key, Rick? In my coat pocket, he says. Where’s your coat, Rick? In the boot, with everyone else’s. Everyone looks accusingly at the hapless Rick. It’s six in the evening on a Sunday, the car’s a hire car, and there’s no AA/RAC call-out, the garage the car came from is closed, and the Police can’t really be arsed. Cue much head scratching. No access into the boot from the passenger area, it’s a saloon, not a hatchback, then I have a lightbulb moment; there’s a cardboard trim panel on the parcel shelf, with speaker grills, so I pop the shelf off, to find there are no speakers. I shove my hand into the hole and grope around in the boot until I feel cloth, and start dragging it as far as possible through the 6″ dia hole. By a stroke of pure luck it’s Rick’s coat, and it’s the corner with the pocket with the keys!
    Guess who bought all the drinks when we got up to the Air Balloon pub, and who’s never been allowed to forget it.

Kahurangi

I was going to suggest getting it towed to Lidl and doing your shopping but thought that would be in poor taste 🙁 😮 🙁 😐

Suggsey
    Free Member

Discovery, reach down side of rear door hook loom out enough and expose tiny section of two of the wires in the loom and short them across each other…..
    Amongst other methods 😆

singletrackmind

I have just had a car based nightmare.
    Fell asleep after a busy morning in the car (parked up) with the radio on.
    Wouldnt start as I left the key in accessory postion. Walked 2 miles home and got changed into bikey kit. Grabbed spare battery and big rucksack and cycled back to car with a 25kg batery in the small of my back.

Really should have put 10psi more in my tyres as they were squirming about on the tarmac.

Switch batteries. clickety click. No Juice. Pair up batteries. Clickety click click. Still no jiuce. admit defeat and call AA .

Man arrives in 20 mins and jumps it , after I point out he has connected jump pack to strut brace bolt , which is on rubber grommets . The battery is in the boot and there is ajump point in the engine bay. He qouted £139 for a battery . They are half that online .
    Time for tea now.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I was going to suggest getting it towed to Lidl and doing your shopping but thought that would be in poor taste

It’s a disco, it’ll be safe enough. Might find someone’s nicked the engine and replaced it with a 2.5 NAD though 😆

TiRed

Locked both sets of keys in the boot of my hire car at San Diego. Flight was due to leave in three hours. I was on an industrial estate five miles away. The lady on the phone was simply the most magnificently calm individual I have ever spoken to! It was almost the most expensive single line kite I ever bought. It’s still a very nice kite! Balloon to squeeze the door and pop the lock FTW.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Locked out of my Land Rover with the spare key inside. How do I get in?’ is closed to new replies.