Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lock the Derailleur, possible?
  • aidso
    Free Member

I am converting to a single ring on the front but havent taken the derailleur off yet. Is it possible to use it as a “ghetto chain guard/guide” to prevent the chain dropping off? I have removed the cables and it falls into the “dead” position so rubs the chain. How do I get it to sit? Someone’s bound to have done it already but can’t think of the words to search…

Pyro

WInd in the upper and lower limit screws to lock the position? If they’re not long enough to get the right chain line, you should be able to replace them, I think.

higgo
    Free Member

Screw down both limit screws?

aidso
    Free Member

Boom, thank you. I had something blocking them and wasnt sure if that was the solution.

seadog101

Tricky one to explain without pictures but:

Cut the end of the cable inner with the bead on it so that you have a length of inner a couple of inches long.
    Put this into the mech so that the bead is in the outboard end of the adjuster, and clamp off the wire end.
    Do this so while holding the mech in about the mid position.
    Now turn the mech’s adjuster to get the chain in the right spot.

Does that make sense? Makes it Single speed, but if you have left the cassette on you can hop of and twiddle the adjuster to get a lower gear if you run out of legs!

Superficial
    Free Member

Or if that doesn’t do it, you can use a short length of inner cable with the ball in one of the frame lugs.
    Or jam a wedge of something (E.g. a piece of wood) in between the mech and the frame. You did say ghetto…

However, front mechs make terrible chain devices. A dedicated device can encompass the chain much better.

If you’re not running a dedicated (I.e. non-ramped) chainring, then that’ll help stop the chain falling off. I’d buy a narrow-wide chainring and see if you even need a chain device at all. I don’t.

seadog101

Doh! all of what I said is for the rear mech! RTFP seadog…. 😳

aidso
    Free Member

LOL i appreciate the suggestion 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lock the Derailleur, possible?’ is closed to new replies.