Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lock recommendations please
  • tjagain

I need a new D lock as my old one has finally bitten the dust.

Shackle must be double locking ie each end of the shackle. Shackle must be at least 16mm thick and case hardened. Needs to be about 25 cm long so it can go round street furniture.

anyone any clues?

simondbarnes

Kryptonite New York M18?

tjagain

Ta – Looks OK. I didn’t realise they did an 18 mm shackle – the only ones I found were 13 mm but I have been wary of Kryptonite products since their poor response to two previous times their locks were found wanting

DougD

Got an abus granit x plus, only 13mm but absolutely solid and gets great reviews

simondbarnes

Abus do make a d-lock with a 16mm shackle but I don’t know how long it is and it’s £230.

tjagain

Ta Simon. The kryptonite is only £100. Mind you the one its replacing cost me £100 25 years ago

Abus Granit x can be cut with bolt croppers – needs to be at least 16mm if not 18mm to be boltcropper proof. I have one already but its only used when either I don’t want to carry the weight or its somewhere secureish

I do leave bikes in the city centre quite often for periods of time so need something as close to unbreakable as I can

neilwheel
    Free Member

The cheaper Kryptonites are poor, the more expensive ones, as in the ‘New Yorker’ are good.

I’ve been using the Abus mini D for a few years in London. A solid lock that’s too small to fit a jack inside but also too small to fit round a lampost. I also have an Abus 1000 cable lock that fits round my waist for anywhere i feel is dodgy. If you can double up it’s good.

If i can find where I bought mine I’ll post links.

I think that a battery powered grinder with a slitting disc is a bigger issue than bolt croppers now.

If you will be leaving the bike in a regular spot, leave a big beast of a chain a a well lubed shutter style padlock in the area for you to use when needed.

Wheels have security skewers, and torx security fasteners fitted to stem, top cap, seat post and saddle clamp. Sometimes you need to grind the heads down a bit to fit.

devash
    Free Member

Abus Granite X Plus or Kryptonite New York are your two choices essentially.

tjagain

devash Abus granit plus can be bolt cropped in seconds. the new yorker is just about good enough. 18 mm shackle is what you really need
    Neilwheel – ta

neilwheel
    Free Member

The place where I bought mine are no longer carrying much stock.

IMO you need a bloody good tool to crop a 16mm shackle.

tjagain

Agreed. 16 mm is difficult to crop. 18mm virtually impossible. 13 mm straight thru with croppers – assuming decent case hardened steel of course

Bolt croppers are the local neds tool of choice

almax have some scary testimonials and vids

fooman

OnGuard Brute? Almost too cheap (<£30) but get good reviews

Shackle Dimensions: 115mm x 260mm x 16.8mm (W x H x D)

tjagain

Ta

Makes you wonder if the steel is poor or are the others overpriced

petec
    Free Member

Check here. I have a few of these; they’re very good and an awful lot cheaper than the rest.

Someone tried to go through one at the station once. Hardly a mark on it

neilwheel
    Free Member

It’s good to know what the local MO is.

Last year we had a gang who started cutting the bike hoops in broad daylight wearing high-vis work gear. Then they would put the cut section back using tape to cover the join, they could then just keep doing the rounds, removing bikes and then re-applying the tape.

tjagain

Ta petec – I’d forgotten about that site

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lock recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.