Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • lock it up your bike or take it inside?
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

what do you do with your bike at shop’s, post offices etc?

if cycle racks are provided then i will always check them out and if i feel they’re safe i’ll use them, but on this recent trip to the city centre post office, i was asked to take my bike outside.

i protested and said that i wasn’t causing an obstruction or that the PO had failed to provide cycle racks outside (yes i know they don’t provide car parks either)

on being told about H&S shite, i simply continued at the self service machine and eventually the PO staff member wandered off muttering.

if it were a normal shop and i could get what i needed elswhere, if asked to leave with my bike, sure i’d comply but would not use them again.

thoughts please?

hjghg5
    Free Member

I don’t stop at too many shops with my bike, other than the Sainsbury’s local at the end of the road where I take it inside. There are no bike racks (although there are some barriers between the pavement and the car park that I could use at a push), but there’s a nice bike shaped gap just inside the door where they get access to the ATM and they’ve never said anything about me propping the bike up there while I grab a few things.

I have a feeling I’ve also taken it inside Tesco when I wanted to pick up a prescription on the basis that it’s no more of an obstruction than a shopping trolley, but I might be making that memory up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve walked round tescos with my road bike buying jelly babies and milk for a mid ride pick-me-up whilst out for a long ride. as above, no more an obstruction than a shopping trolley.

aracer
    Free Member

You need a unicycle. When I last went to the supermarket on one, the chap who served me on the checkout just seemed disappointed that I’d wheeled it round rather than ridden it.

fr0sty
    Free Member

Tesco are a bit militant. Depends how ballsy I’m feeling on the day. They don’t like cleats, put it that way!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Depends, I’ve taken mine round various shops before but if it’s dirty/tight/busy I don’t think it’s unreasonable if they’d rather I didn’t. I’m imaging wheeling my bike around my local Post Office and it’d be pretty inconvenient/annoying for everyone else so I don’t think I’d be too upset if they asked me not to.

davesmate
    Free Member

I regularly take my bike into the bank and nothing’s ever been said to me about it. Also took my very muddy bike into the kebab shop on the way home from a night ride last week. I was expecting a right earful but the guy just commented on it being a nice bike and how I was stupid to go MTBing in this weather. Apart from taking the bike into shops/banks the only really effective means of security I’ve come up with so far is to build a really tatty, knackered looking bike that nobody would give a 2nd glance and use it purely for riding to/from town or the shops.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Other than a lock of course…….

I like my rohloff for security if im going to be in full view of bike at all times

Stick it in easy gear , unscrew clickbox

100rpm is about 3mph…….with no obvious way to change it .

acidchunks

last time I wheeled my mtb into a shop my brain decided that after paying for my goodies it was perfectly acceptable behaviour to jump on the bike and ride it out of the door. 😐

B_Leach
    Free Member

Aye, the bike never leaves my side when I’m lacking the lock.

I used to be known at the local chippy as “that bloke who brings his bike in”

rwc03
    Free Member

Been stopped a few times with my bike at Tesco and asked to leave, never had a problem in other supermarkets, banks etc. Bit annoying as you’re obviously not doing the weekly shop with your bike and it is no more intrusive than a trolley.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Only ever take my road bike into greggs if I am on an unexpected long ride.

fourbanger
    Free Member

These people wheeling there bikes into supermarkets, are we talking leaning them up inside the door, or wheeling it down the isles whilst you pick out your groceries?

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

well i’d not leave my bike just inside the front door at Tescos 😯

fourbanger
    Free Member

Well I’d take a decent lock with me if I were just using it to run errands and go shopping.

project
    Free Member

Walked into the bank afeweeks ago, with bike leaned iyt against counter, customer liason serving agent(money counter)asked me to remove my helmet as she needed to see me.

I offered her my signiture as a keepsake as she obviously thought i was famous, she refused and just asked me to enter my pin number.

She totaly failed to coment on my recently cleaned full sus bike, so disapointed.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘lock it up your bike or take it inside?’ is closed to new replies.