Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lock Bumping?
  • Chevin
    Free Member

Just had a company round at home talking to me about lock bumping. From what he says 80% of locks are vulnerable. Is this the case? Their company injects a goo into the locks that prevents the pins bouncing-bumping open.

Question is – Is this all correct? Has anyone had it done? Does it risk our locks not working? It all looks genuine and a google search does back up what he says. My main concern is if it is as common as he would make me belive, how come no-one else has ever mentioned it.

He’s charging 40 to do 2 locks.

Matthew.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Sounds like bollox to me

jam-bo

does your insurance company stipulate you need it done?

if not, tell him to get **** and stop trying to scare you into shelling out cash.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

a quick google shows ‘pickbuster’ website does a free sample – enough for one lock

Chevin
    Free Member

just looked for the company thta called,

http://www.zephyrsecurity.com/html/lock_bumping.html

As far as I’m aware we have doore with claw things round the frame….(can you tell iI know F all about doors and locks!)

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

Locks are easy to pick*, but it is nearly always easier to break the lock/hinge/door/window (delete as applicable) and a damned sight faster. Plus easier for the average lowlife to understand. How many break ins have you heard of where they have picked a lock? It’s a movie plot threat, technically feasible but likely enough to bother spending money on?

Did watch a guy pick a lock shut to secure a server room way back, when the key wasn’t to hand, that was cool.

*Obviously some are easier that others 🙂 It’s also more fun than jigsaw puzzles and something you can learn to do whilst working in a garden centre over the summer, or so I heard :-)…

coffeeking
    Free Member

CAnt you just use a thick grease to the same effect? Anything we want keeping safe has a normal lock and a 5 bar lever whatsit, and then individual items (bikes) are locked inside too.

woody2000

Love the technical info on that site:

“Locks susceptible to bumping include front door and back door locks”

No f*cking sh*t sherlock 🙂

They’re over-egging it IMO

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bumping is incredibly easy, you dont even need a key on padlocks, just bang em in the right direction and they’ll pop open, but there are certain types of locks that are not susceptible – buy these.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What coffeking said. I made up a bump key once out of interest, worked suprisingly well. Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about it though, if people want to break in, they’ll break in.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Lock bumping is trivially easy as long as they have the blanks, which you can buy on ebay. It is not like picking a lock, in that it requires basically no skill, and takes only as much time as it takes to unlock a door normally.

It would be a right hassle if someone did you this way, as unless they left obvious marks, and you got forensics in to look at them, it would look to the insurance company like you left the door unlocked.

But I don’t think it is at all common currently, or else we’d be hearing about it in the press, in things that aren’t releases from anti lock bumping companies, and insurance companies would be stipulating changing of locks. You do have to carry a bunch of dodgy bump keys, one for each type of lock (like blank keys but with special ridges cut on them), which is a bit of a hassle (and counts as going equipped if you get caught).

I thought that greasing locks made them easier to bump, but maybe not if it is very thick grease they are selling.

Joe

mikewsmith
    Free Member

might be time to go door to door selling such things as spray on unbreakable windows etc. 10/10 for these guys adapting to a tough economic climate and preying on peoples fears.

Brings back memories of such things as “Bluetooth hacking can steal your brain and stuff!”

chomp
    Free Member

chomp
    Free Member
    sq225917
    Free Member

Just add a mortice lock or use a Mul-t lock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lock Bumping?’ is closed to new replies.